Club Orange - Is It Worth It?

deeb312

I enjoyed Club Orange for $15 p/p/night because it came with $50 OBC, too.  The expanded Club Orange Culinary Tour was almost as good as the $99 Behind the Scenes but without the bridge/laundry/recycling.

The biggest plus was escaping the 5:00 PM fixed dining that was way too early for me to eat.  Breakfast and dinner were quicker than the MDR.  Some passengers enjoyed more than one of the free mimosas at breakfast.  Nice tote bag.

The additional entree was not a big plus.  The other benefits of free jewelry cleaning, private spa consultation, etc. were not usable.

Here is a link to my Dec 2019 Caribbean When & Where and Club Orange menus (choose the series that corresponds to either Cozumal or Key West on your itinerary).

I think CO on the Nieuw Statendam or Koningsdam is worth it because of the separate dining venue, anytime dining generally without a wait, more personalized service and made to order meals as you watch. Not worth it on the other ships without the additional venue.

We are also on the NS, on the 2/23 14 day cruise, and we were offered the Club Orange for $15 per person per day, and we accepted at that price. I was not planning to accept it, but decided to try it for the potentially quicker and fresher breakfast and dinners, including mimosas at breakfast. I like the idea of breakfasts made to order in the CO galley, and the extra dinner entree choice, which I believe is prepared there in the CO. Potentially a calmer breakfast than the Lido, which can be a zoo, and also sounds like the dinner service is a bit faster than the main dining room experience, which is a plus for us.  

Again, it was worth it to us at $15 PP, but I would not have accepted at $25. Wonder why we were offered $15, and you $25? Maybe you could try calling them and asking for the $15 price? 

11 hours ago, Crew News said:

I enjoyed Club Orange for $15 p/p/night because it came with $50 OBC, too.  The expanded Club Orange Culinary Tour was almost as good as the $99 Behind the Scenes but without the bridge/laundry/recycling.

The biggest plus was escaping the 5:00 PM fixed dining that was way too early for me to eat.  Breakfast and dinner were quicker than the MDR.  Some passengers enjoyed more than one of the free mimosas at breakfast.  Nice tote bag.

The additional entree was not a big plus.  The other benefits of free jewelry cleaning, private spa consultation, etc. were not usable.

Here is a link to my Dec 2019 Caribbean When & Where and Club Orange menus (choose the series that corresponds to either Cozumal or Key West on your itinerary).

Here is the missing link:  http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

Nope, nein, nyet, unless the non-meal advantages are important to you--as 4-star/suite pax, we already get some of those, plus the restaurant access. We experienced the new CO program in Dec on the Nieuw Statendam.

Ate there twice--missed breakfast, but folks seem to love that. Only saw the chef once, for a minute, making a pasta dish. Everything else was brought from the MDR kitchen, and seemed to have been sitting out for awhile--congealed sauce, etc. (The shrimp diablo appeared to be jumbo cocktail shrimp--still cold--with some ketchup dumped on them.) The single added menu item was not attractive to us.

It was never more than half full, yet TWICE, we were refused (by Reza, the mgr) to sit at one of several empty tables along the window because they were "reserved."  Later he told us we weren't allowed to reserve a table! We were seated at empty 4-tops both times--the ones with bar-height chairs that are impossible to adjust if you are height challenged, leaving your legs dangling. Next to the open kitchen with heat from the stoves washing over you (the restaurant's glass wall separating it from the corridor seems to prevent ventilation in the room). Butted up against the wait station, in our gala night attire.  

The sole advantage would have been a quieter place to eat than the MDR. I say, save those pennies and spring for a nice meal or two--a la carte--at Sel de Mer, where the officers eat.

Edited by sofietucker

27 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Ate there twice--missed breakfast, but folks seem to love that. Only saw the chef once, for a minute, making a pasta dish. Everything else was brought from the MDR kitchen, and seemed to have been sitting out for awhile--congealed sauce, etc. (The shrimp diablo appeared to be jumbo cocktail shrimp--still cold--with some ketchup dumped on them.) The single added menu item was not attractive to us.

So the food was terrible and brought from the MDR kitchens.

Doesn't say much of the MDR does it?

We were in Club Orange on the recent Feb 2nd sailing on Nieuw Statendam.  We very much enjoyed Club Orange.  For us, it provided some nice perks that we would have not had available to us as were are not 4 or 5 star (yet!).  Or in a Neptune Suite.  So it made sense for us to purchase as I really wanted to finally try it out on the larger ship with a separate dining room. 

Positives for me:

1) Priority Embarkation.  We were at the port at 11:00 and on the ship by 11:30.  Upon check in for Club Orange you are given a "Priority Embarkation" card and allowed in to a smaller room with fewer people that has coffee, juice and danishes.  

2) The dining venue is very nice.  It is a small room with far less people than the main dining room.  More intimate and cafe like in feel.  Ate breakfast and dinner every night in Club Orange and have no complaints about the food.  It was very good.  Much more relaxed feel to the atmosphere than the main dining room.  Only complaint is that service was a little on the slow side than I had expected.  BUT this was not due to the staff as they work really hard.  I just feel they are understaffed and definitely need a few more waiters and bus people as some times there was quite a delay between courses or getting dirty plates taken off our table.  The staff does work very, very hard but I just think they simply need more help.  Also, it is possible that our sailing had more CO people as it was always at least 80% full when we ate there.  

3) Behind the scenes culinary tour was excellent and yes it is different than the "normal" one that is given to all passengers if they want to go to it.  Much more in-depth and we were taken to lower decks and areas that not many passengers get to see.  It was very interesting!  I really enjoyed that tour and and glad I was able to attend,  Highly recommend.

4) Nicer orange tote bag and nicer robe in room.  Just a little extra something that is not really any extra value.  But still nice.

5)  Special invite to private sail into (or away) port with Captain and crew at the Bow of the ship.  REALLY wanted to make this but unfortunately could not get there in time.  Nice little perk of Club Orange on my sailing and I am sure others.

6) Dedicated Club Orange "host" or concierge at Guest Services.  This was a nice perk as we avoided getting in the line that always seemed to be at Guest Services.  You just stepped up to the area where the CO host is and wait your turn.  Usually there was either no one there with her or only 1 person in line.  Unfortunately we had to use her services every morning for issues with the Navigator App!  She was most helpful and courteous.  Diane was great!

7) Priority de-embarkation.  That was a big plus for us which we liked a lot.  We were first (or 2nd) group I believe to be called off the ship.

So my opinion is  CO is worth the extra cost if you like the dining in Club Orange.  To me that is the main reason to purchase.  If you enjoy the main dining room or specialty dining then CO might not be something you want to spend the money on.  JMHO 

IMG_2872.HEIC IMG_2875.HEIC IMG_2913.HEIC

Edited by margar
  • Like 2

Quote: So the food was terrible and brought from the MDR kitchens.

Doesn't say much of the MDR does it?

Nope. But to be fair, it was only 2 meals--so 4 starters, 4 entrees, 2 desserts.  (The rest of the time, we ate in alternative restaurants--having received generous gifts, so can't speak to the MDR in general.) We do tend to eat in the HAL MDRs a lot and they are fine,  so this may have just been an anomaly.

Edited by sofietucker

Fun fact--In Margar's first photo, showing the table setting with menu: that orange and gold bread plate is part of their old china for the Le Cirque dinners--presenting a menu from the famous, now-defunct restaurant in Manhattan--which were held on a single night per sailing in the Pinnacle Grill, as they now do with De Librije. The rest of the set included a charger with a monkey on it...

• Like 1