Christiansted or Frederiksted???

tigger54

My husband and I will be cruising in September and will be spending a day in St Croix. We really enjoy small quaint towns for shopping and eating, especially if on the water. Which area best describes what we want to do: Christiansted or Frederiksted? Any other areas with shopping and restaurants we need to know about? What about restaurants on the water? Any recommendations?
Thank you.

Frederiksted is the small, quiet, quaint town you are describing, and it also happens to be where the ship docks. If you want to spend a quiet day relaxing on the beach you should check out The Fred or Sandcastle. The Fred is still working on their restaurant (opening soon!) but there's food right next door at Louie & Nacho's or Turtles Deli, and the bar at The Fred is excellent.

Christiansted is our main touristy, shopping place but honestly to do what you're talking about I would just skip the taxi ride and stay right in F'sted.

Cheers.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

If we book our cruise we will be stopping in Frederiksted in March. How are things now after Covid and the storms. 

Our cruise has 6 port stops so we don't want to do excursion on more than 3. So trying to find a stop where we can walk around, explore a bit. Maybe take a taxi somewhere close by or a short Island tour is ok too. 

• 2 months later...

We're not beach people but enjoy exploring the cultures of each island. I think we would be more interested in Christensted for this reason. How long of a ride from the cruise port and approximate cab fare? Is there any licensed service that would actually take us for a ride around the island?