Boston- A Monday 7am-3pm possible plan?

Pugster4

We will be going to Boston for the 1st time will only be there from 7-3. I think we want to do the freedom trail and if possible do a Fenway park tour. I think we would have like going to and on the USS Constituton but I believe the ship is closed on Mondays. Would we be able to do the freedom trail with a tour at Old State house and a stop to eat as well as going over to little Italy and doing a tour at Fenway or is that just too packed? Thanks!

4 hours ago, Pugster4 said:

I think we would have like going to and on the USS Constituton but I believe the ship is closed on Mondays.

The ship is closed Mondays (and Tuesdays in Winter) but the museum is open daily. You can see the ship quite well from the museum but obviously you wont be able to board on a Monday. 

4 hours ago, Pugster4 said:

Would we be able to do the freedom trail with a tour at Old State house and a stop to eat as well as going over to little Italy and doing a tour at Fenway or is that just too packed?

It's a bit packed-- agree with previous poster that a lot wont be open for the first couple hours that you arrive. Freedom Trail takes a tad over 2 hours to do completely but you can skip around and you can utilize the water taxi from Charlestown Navy Yard to get back into town which will save you from backtracking (although the walk back will put you in the North End-- Bostonians don't call it little Italy). Most of the restaurants there are very touristy and not the best Italian food in town but there are a few good ones. 

For Fenway you are going to have to take a 10 minute Uber outside of the main tourist area. The tour itself is about an hour-- total time to do it including back and forth will be at a minimum hour and a half but most likely a bit more. If you are a diehard Red Sox or historic baseball stadium aficionado its interesting-- otherwise the best way to see the stadium is to come back sometime and see a game. Fenway is charming but it's not as physically impressive as the newer stadiums. Keep in mind too that tours are very limited on game days. 

You could do an abbreviated Freedom Trail tour, skipping the Charlestown Navy Yard part, and get to Fenway or the North End. I would say that the conflict isn't with the trail-- given you need to board by 3 (or possibly before if thats the actual departure time) you would need to choose between lunch in the North End or Fenway. 

You could probably do the Freedom Trail in 90 minutes. But why would anyone want to do that? I suggest you take your time and linger at several of the important historical sites. If the USS is open you could fit that in.    We are doing the JFK Museum, and Library in the morning and taking a taxi or UBER to the Freedom Trail in the afternoon. But we are just going to concentrate on the first part of it. We had walked the entire trail several years ago with our kids. So this time it will be more of a review. 

Two hours is a fair estimate for the Freedom Trail with no stops.  It took us a lot longer last year with stops at the State House, Paul Revere's House and the Old North Church.  With limited time you might consider taking an uber from the Old North Church to the Constitution and then the water taxi back.  

On 2/15/2020 at 6:52 PM, princeton123211 said:

The ship is closed Mondays (and Tuesdays in Winter) but the museum is open daily. You can see the ship quite well from the museum but obviously you wont be able to board on a Monday. 

It's a bit packed-- agree with previous poster that a lot wont be open for the first couple hours that you arrive. Freedom Trail takes a tad over 2 hours to do completely but you can skip around and you can utilize the water taxi from Charlestown Navy Yard to get back into town which will save you from backtracking (although the walk back will put you in the North End-- Bostonians don't call it little Italy). Most of the restaurants there are very touristy and not the best Italian food in town but there are a few good ones. 

For Fenway you are going to have to take a 10 minute Uber outside of the main tourist area. The tour itself is about an hour-- total time to do it including back and forth will be at a minimum hour and a half but most likely a bit more. If you are a diehard Red Sox or historic baseball stadium aficionado its interesting-- otherwise the best way to see the stadium is to come back sometime and see a game. Fenway is charming but it's not as physically impressive as the newer stadiums. Keep in mind too that tours are very limited on game days. 

You could do an abbreviated Freedom Trail tour, skipping the Charlestown Navy Yard part, and get to Fenway or the North End. I would say that the conflict isn't with the trail-- given you need to board by 3 (or possibly before if thats the actual departure time) you would need to choose between lunch in the North End or Fenway. 

Does the Fenway tour get you into the clubhouse or just the press box?

3 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Does the Fenway tour get you into the clubhouse or just the press box?

Sometimes the visitor locker room is included but its completely depending on operational needs with games. We've done it twice with some out of town folks when I lived in Boston-- visitor locker room was on one of them and left off for the other as there was a game the next day. 

14 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Red Sox home when we are there so probably not a good choice.

If you want to really experience Fenway, and its a day game, just buy the cheapest tickets you can and go watch an inning or two, walk around, and then head back to the port. 

Fenway is like an antique car-- its super atmospheric and charming, but nothing works well and its generally uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

Tours rarely go behind the scoreboard.  Those are usually reserved for special events or charity auction winners.

Home clubhouse is usually off limits, too.  For some events they let you just inside the door with ropes "containing you" and back out another nearby door.

Visitors clubhouse is more likely, but not when the teams are playing at Fenway.  Even getting on the field isn't for certain on a game day

When we stopped in Boston on a cruise, I used the Hop-On, Hop-Off bus to get around to the usual tourist sites.  And did some walking in between stops.  The HOHO comes out to the dock so that makes it really handy.  Within walking distance of the dock is an outstanding aquarium.  We had been in Boston for several days years earlier with our kids and had seen most of the must-see places so I just picked out what I wanted to revisit; had lunch at Faneuil Hall.

Edited by BarbinMich

On 2/25/2020 at 6:05 PM, Nitemare said:

The Aquarium isn't very close to the Cruise port.  At least 1.5 mile walk

I'll take your word for it, but I believe it's the closest attraction to the port.  I'm not a big walker, but it was a pleasant walk and a great destination.

Fenway and the Freedom Trail is pretty ambitious.  Since you've been to a game at Fenway I'd focus on the Freedom Trail.  Pick the sites you want to see and look up their hours. Most appear to open at 9:30 or 10am.  That being said there are many places on the trail that are outside (Granary Burial Ground, Copp's Hill, etc.).

The beginning of the trail is Park Street in downtown Boston (but you can start anywhere).  From the port take the SilverLine Bus to South Station and transfer to the Red Line (going to Park Street Station).  Get off at Park Street and you'll be at the Boston Common where you'll see the red brick in the sidewalk.

Alternatively, you may want to start at the USS Constitution (cab or Uber to the site) and then walk back or take the water taxi and find the trail again in the North End.

Edited by Traveling Library

3 hours ago, Traveling Library said:

Alternatively, you may want to start at the USS Constitution (cab or Uber to the site) and then walk back or take the water taxi and find the trail again in the North End.

Thats what I would do-- if you are already getting into an Uber might as well go all the way over to the Constitution. 

• 1 year later...

You won't really enough time to do the Freedom Trail or Fenway Park. You could certainly stroll around the  Public Gardens where the trail begins and walk some of it. 

My suggestion is to take a cab from the pier and head over to the North End, it's only about a ten-minute ride. 

Once there you can enjoy walking around the cobble stoned roads of this Italian neighborhood, visit some of the local restaurants and make a point to visit Modern Pastry for the most delicious cannolis.

It makes for a nice way to spend a few hours without the stress of cramming to much in and high tailing it back to the cruise terminal. 

Jonathan

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cruiserking said:

You won't really enough time to do the Freedom Trail or Fenway Park. You could certainly stroll around the  Public Gardens where the trail begins and walk some of it. 

My suggestion is to take a cab from the pier and head over to the North End, it's only about a ten-minute ride. 

Once there you can enjoy walking around the cobble stoned roads of this Italian neighborhood, visit some of the local restaurants and make a point to visit Modern Pastry for the most delicious cannolis.

It makes for a nice way to spend a few hours without the stress of cramming to much in and high tailing it back to the cruise terminal. 

Jonathan

Ditto Jonathan,

We did the Freedom Trail with an organised tour from the ship.

Have to the next time go to the North, heard from others and never checked it out. Know very Italian area but not me coming from Brooklyn. Will check it out.

But very much agree about checking out the Public Gardens. Beverly loves that area very much. Especially the Swan boat ride.

We have now did all in Boston and ad lib our way off the ship. One day would like to eat in Union Oyster House if possible. 

• 8 months later...

This is an old post, but I just had to respond.

Enjoy Boston! I love this city !!  ..lived nearby all my life.  Learn so much history ! Eat! Walk! Shop!

Take a "Duck Tour"...google it to find the best pickup point.  You will see and learn much and can be

have quite fun with the entertaining guides and drivers.

If Hop-on-hop-off is available at the port, do take that if you are comfortable doing some leisure touring somewhat by yourself...but familiarize yourself with most stops you may be interested in.   If you don't want to bus back to the port, hail a taxi or Uber...the port is never very far away.

Great museums, but time consuming:  N.E. Aquarium, JFK Library, Museum of Science, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston Public Library.....

2 hours ago, roupa said:

This is an old post, but I just had to respond.

Enjoy Boston! I love this city !!  ..lived nearby all my life.  Learn so much history ! Eat! Walk! Shop!

Take a "Duck Tour"...google it to find the best pickup point.  You will see and learn much and can be

have quite fun with the entertaining guides and drivers.

If Hop-on-hop-off is available at the port, do take that if you are comfortable doing some leisure touring somewhat by yourself...but familiarize yourself with most stops you may be interested in.   If you don't want to bus back to the port, hail a taxi or Uber...the port is never very far away.

Great museums, but time consuming:  N.E. Aquarium, JFK Library, Museum of Science, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston Public Library.....

We really enjoyed the Visit to the JFK Museum and not too much to the Adams House

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Sail away MK said:

Has anyone taken the water taxi from the cruise terminal to the USS Constitution?  How did it work? Cost?  

Wasn't aware there even was one. Saw on their website that its by advanced reservation only. This particular company operates smaller semi enclosed boats. Frankly it will be MUCH quicker to get to Constitution by just taking an Uber. 

The T runs a ferry from Charlestown Navy Yard back to the Faneuil Hall area in downtown Boston on a much larger boat that operates on a schedule. I would take an Uber from the cruise port to Constitution for speeds sake and then take the ferry back to Boston for a ride in the harbor.