How do you get your hubby to....

barbaraanne

On 2/15/2020 at 12:35 PM, barbaraanne said:

....get his clothes together for a cruise!?  Mine waited until three days before and then found out that half of the clothes in his closet didn’t fit anymore.  When you’re both retired and  you don’t need to dress up any more, it’s easy to not know if your dress clothes fit right after a year or two.  I had been buying clothes and getting ready for weeks, meanwhile.  Here we are, three days before and the few clothes I had ordered for him don’t fit either.  I give up.  Some men just hate to try on clothes and think about fashion and my hubby is one of them.....what do you do when this happens?  Eat in the buffet?  

I give Mr. Pcur advanced warning that I am starting to pack, so he can ignore me at first.  😉

Then, I pack my suitcase. 

When done, I tell him he either comes in the closet with me and picks out what he wants to take, or I will do it for him!!  Being stubborn and independent, that motivates him.  He picks out his favorite shirts.  Since he doesn't wear dress pants any other time except cruises, he has to try on the pants to see if they still fit.  His formal/dressy night outfit is a uniform, and he lets me do that.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 9:23 AM, shipgeeks said:

This reminds me, once again, that I am "the most fortunate of women"*

DH will not go on a cruise without his tuxedo, one or two sportscoats, and nice shirts and slacks.

The downside is that he doesn't see that men's pants have become slimmer in recent years.  He considers himself "portly"; I say "husky".  I think he would look a lot better in narrower slacks and shorts, but it's hard to buy the right thing without trying on.

Fortunately, a classic tuxedo and classic navy blazer always look good (as does he).

(*What book/author is this from???)

I googled it and that phrase is in the Bible, Judges 5:24 "The most fortunate of women is Jael, the wife of Heber...the most fortunate of women who live in tents."

So there you go☺️

On 2/16/2020 at 9:23 AM, shipgeeks said:

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 7:23 PM, ninjacat123 said:

Thank you, ninjacat.

I first came across the phrase in a novel about an American anthropologist working in Egypt, circa 1900.  Good book.

It's nice to learn of the original source!

On 2/22/2020 at 7:16 PM, clo said:

I've been retired for quite a while but thought Word was for word processing and Power Point for presentations. And you use Excel for non-numerical purposes. Is this actually just list making. I ask sincerely.

Excel is also commonly used to make lists.  I spent years in project management and I've seen far more lists prepared in Excel than in Word.  Excel make formatting very easy.  Type in the boxes and alignment takes care of itself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Excel is also commonly used to make lists.  I spent years in project management and I've seen far more lists prepared in Excel than in Word.  Excel make formatting very easy.  Type in the boxes and alignment takes care of itself.

Also super easy to make checkboxes for the actual packing! Color code for which suitcase each item is to go in... on and on.