Ships with best Haven experience/setup

Pablo Diablo

Hi. My family and I sailed the Epic last fall and stayed in a Haven 2-br suite. The experience was great but I think it’s spoiled me that I would be disappointed if I sailed again in anything but a Haven cabin.  I’ve heard that some of NCL’s smaller ships don’t have quite the same Haven setup (I.e. no dedicated Haven restaurant). Which NCL ships have the best Haven setups?  Thanks. 

Of the mega-ships, avoid the Getaway/Breakaway unless the itinerary/embarkation port really work for you. We sailed on the Getaway (after the Epic and Escape) and were not happy with the Haven set up. The restaurant was especially small (only about four window tables). I also didn't like the fact there was no outdoor eating area besides the courtyard. I would said either of these ships, but only if a better option was not available for the itinerary I wanted (and that might include a smaller ship).

We sailed two times in a suite on the Dawn (no Haven on the Dawn) and would sail a smaller ship with or without a Haven again if the itinerary was what we wanted. There is a restaurant open for breakfast and lunch and while we missed not having the Haven area, the itinerary more than made up for it.

• Like 1

I stayed in the Haven on the Escape. I loved the restaurant and it’s staff. I didn’t hang out in the pool or bar area but boy was it great having the the butler and David the Consierge(I can never spell that)! I thought that the Haven was beautiful. I will be back on her next March in a 2 bedroom.

• Like 1

We did the Haven on the Getaway and thought it was great. We never had an issue with the size of the restaurant or the bar. It was a Baltic cruise so there were not many people using the sundeck/hot tub was pretty low.

Edited by fastpitchdad

Only been on epic and breakaway haven. Both I love for different reasons. The epic has the better and bigger restaurant layout but I didn't like how the concierge is in a different part. The breakaway has the covered sundeck which I used most afternoons. 

The only way you find out which haven is best for you is to try them out yourself. I think it is down to personal choice.

We’ve been on the Epic and Breakaway. I liked the Epic Haven MUCH better than the Breakaway, but liked the Breakaway ship more overall. The Breakaway Haven is smaller than the Epic and the courtyard does not have loungers by the pool. Also, they don’t open the roof hardly ever. This makes it hard to lay out in the sun if you have a teen under 16 (too young for the sundeck) who actually wants to spend time with you and lay out! We actually spent most of our time on our aft balcony.  We’re looking forward to our Joy cruise next June, when she’ll be old enough for the sundeck area.

Been on Epic, Getaway, Pearl and Jade Havens.  The Epic arrangement is fine once you get used to the way they coped with the afterthought nature of the whole area and having to keep your key-card handy all of the time can be a bind.  The Epic glass elevators out of the Bar up to Posh and down to the ice cream machines in the buffet are so cool.  The Getaway was fine except when it rained without it having a roof (OK warm rain in the Caribbean).  The Jewel Class ship Havens are really good if, like us, you like the peace and quiet.  The smaller courtyard  means that you almost have a personal choice about whether the roof is open, closed or half-and-half, and that upstairs sun lounge area on them is a massive feature with it's permanent views of the sea, land and sky - and virtually guaranteed sun lounge spaces.  The formal and informal Epic restaurants are definitely the best in the fleet.  And if they had more variations in the evening meal choices, those inbuilt Haven restaurants would be unbeatable.

Edited by old nutter
a bit more stuff

We were  on the Epic Transatlantic this past spring from Orlando to Barcelona, and this fall on the Getaway from Copenhagen to New Orleans. Don't know if the Concierge (Man) was new to his job on the Epic, or he just didn't know how to handle things. His assistants weren't much help either. Didn't use their service much at all. But the Concierge (Female) on the Getaway was great. (Stayed in the Haven on both ships, on the same deck as the Concierges.)  He was hardly ever around his desk, She was always around her desk, or one of her assistants was there for anything you needed. Very impressed the way she handled things. We are back on the Epic on March 22 - April 1 10 Day-Southern Caribbean out of San Juan, P.R. Hope service improved!

4 hours ago, morrisretired said:

We were  on the Epic Transatlantic this past spring from Orlando to Barcelona, and this fall on the Getaway from Copenhagen to New Orleans. Don't know if the Concierge (Man) was new to his job on the Epic, or he just didn't know how to handle things. His assistants weren't much help either. Didn't use their service much at all. But the Concierge (Female) on the Getaway was great. (Stayed in the Haven on both ships, on the same deck as the Concierges.)  He was hardly ever around his desk, She was always around her desk, or one of her assistants was there for anything you needed. Very impressed the way she handled things. We are back on the Epic on March 22 - April 1 10 Day-Southern Caribbean out of San Juan, P.R. Hope service improved!

I'm on the same cruise in March. Very much looking forward to it , and I sincerely hope we have a good concierge because I use them quite a lot.

Just off Bliss and the newer ships have the Horizon Lounge in Haven area and it's beautiful.  They must have given up quite a few suites to put this in but it's quiet and beautiful and nice on sea days to get a nice lounge couch and read.  I was spoiled by Haven before on Breakaway but now I don't want to sail without Horizon Lounge.