Favorite "local" restaurants close to ports

lowbass

I've been checking "Trip advisor" and "Yelp" trying to get some ideals for some local mexican restaurants in Cozumel close to the cruise ports. I would prefer local restaurants but I'll take any and all suggestions. Thanks.

2 hours ago, lowbass said:

I've been checking "Trip advisor" and "Yelp" trying to get some ideals for some local mexican restaurants in Cozumel close to the cruise ports. I would prefer local restaurants but I'll take any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Which pier? - makes a big difference, or are you willing to taxi in and out of town if at the southern piers?

Edited by c-leg5

2 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Which pier? - makes a big difference, or are you willing to taxi in and out of town if at the southern piers?

Any of the ports. We will be sailing RCI so I think we'll be docked at the International port. I know Carnival's port is next to the International port, and there is a port downtown. So we're planning on hitting a beach first for a few hours, then catching a taxi wherever we can sight see, shop and eat.

12 hours ago, lowbass said:

Any of the ports. We will be sailing RCI so I think we'll be docked at the International port. I know Carnival's port is next to the International port, and there is a port downtown. So we're planning on hitting a beach first for a few hours, then catching a taxi wherever we can sight see, shop and eat.

tell your taxi driver to take you to El Centro (center square at town).  From there, walk off the main street... majority of all shops along that main road are owned by cruise ship companies, etc.  The locals do not get a dime you spend there.  Go inland 1 block or more, you will get to the restaurants and stores owned by locals.  All the restaurants there will be authentic, and be careful with the hot sauces.  They use real habaneros.  On the plaza are a few places to eat, just a block south and or west you can find great restaurants on every block...  La Choza is my favorite, but La Mission, Casa Denis, all excellent.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

tell your taxi driver to take you to El Centro (center square at town).  From there, walk off the main street... majority of all shops along that main road are owned by cruise ship companies, etc.  The locals do not get a dime you spend there.  Go inland 1 block or more, you will get to the restaurants and stores owned by locals.  All the restaurants there will be authentic, and be careful with the hot sauces.  They use real habaneros.  On the plaza are a few places to eat, just a block south and or west you can find great restaurants on every block...  La Choza is my favorite, but La Mission, Casa Denis, all excellent.  

Thanks! 

7 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

La Choza is also our favorite but several new restaurants on 5 and 10 getting good reviews on TA as Robin says.

Royal will probably dock at International but some of their smaller ships dock at Langosta in town.

Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...

Had a lovely meal at La Choza thanks to the recommendations here. Chicken Poblano sublime. DH got the chicken fajitas and they were in fact best ever, and I order them a lot!  

I would t view it as strictly local as clearly caters to visitors, but locally owned and delightful. 

next time I’d love to try one that caters to locals more than visitors - recommendations?

38 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Had a lovely meal at La Choza thanks to the recommendations here. Chicken Poblano sublime. DH got the chicken fajitas and they were in fact best ever, and I order them a lot!  

I would t view it as strictly local as clearly caters to visitors, but locally owned and delightful. 

next time I’d love to try one that caters to locals more than visitors - recommendations?

Glad you enjoyed it. We go in an evening when staying on the island and I can assure you it is filled with locals and ex-pats alike. I usually have the fish in mustard sauce and it is divine! Also love their own dipping sauce. You can ask for the menu of the day for local dishes.

If you want more rustic try one of the cocina economicas, or if you are adventurous the Cozumel Food tour for local flavours. We did this last week (very informative) and the fish restaurant in particular was wonderful. 

• 4 weeks later...

I personally like Carlos & Charlies. I eat there every time I visit Cozumel. I've been about 5 or 6 times so far. I've never had bad food and service has been really good. It's also a fun place if you like music, Congo lines etc.

3 hours ago, MzOhioLady said:

I personally like Carlos & Charlies. I eat there every time I visit Cozumel. I've been about 5 or 6 times so far. I've never had bad food and service has been really good. It's also a fun place if you like music, Congo lines etc.

I thought the only location for several years for Carlos and Charlie's on Cozumel was next to Paradise Beach?

I haven't been but it isn’t next to any of the ports.

Have they opened a new location?

Edited by c-leg5

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I thought the only location for several years for Carlos and Charlie's on Cozumel was next to Paradise Beach?

I haven't been but it isn’t next to any of the ports.

Have they opened a new location?

There used to be one downtown years and years ago.

There might still be 1 in Playa. But outside the beach club on Coz, the only other 1 I know about in QR is in Cancun.

15 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

There used to be one downtown years and years ago.

There might still be 1 in Playa. But outside the beach club on Coz, the only other 1 I know about in QR is in Cancun.

Yes, thats what i remember. Snr Frogs moved in when their palapa burnt down, maybe at Carnival?

Not my idea of “local” anyway! Keep safe, Crew.

Edited by c-leg5

It has been a good number of years ago that I was last in Cozumel. So I did not know they were no longer there. But I do have a cruise this year in September, if we are still sailing by then, and I will see if it is still there or not.

Edited by MzOhioLady

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of a walk from the town center is Pancho's Backyard. Nice restaurant with a fairly large gift shop attached. It has been consistently rated high on TripAdvisor. They do cater to tourist. English menu, credit cards and Mexican music. Not as authentic as the back streets.  

• 1 year later...