Status Reciprocity

Bgwest

3 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Does this mean if you are elite on Princess, you would have whatever is elite status on MSC?

It worked for us last spring.  Princess elite matched to MSC black (now called diamond).  Check out this thread and especially the attachment in post #1 for self reported matches.

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Wonder why they don't do that with other Carnival brands.

They do.  Look at the spreadsheet.  A HAL 4 Star Mariner matched to Diamond last month.  Carnival Diamond matched to Gold.  I have read anecdotally on the MSC board that it is getting harder to match to Diamond but MSC doesn't share the criteria they use in making the determination.

The RCI family of cruise lines (RCCL, Celebrity, Azamara) all have reciprocity with their loyalty programs beginning at a certain tier level.  With each, your tier status is recognized by each other in terms of the benefits provided by that base tier with each when sailing on each.  The points earned on each cruise line for each cruise taken with each remains, however, with the individual cruise line on which you sail.

In other words, Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle on RCCL is reciprocal and receives the tier benefits of Elite when on board Celebrity.  And Elite, Elite Plus, and Zenith on Celebrity is reciprocal and receives the tier benefits of Diamond when on board RCCL.  Similarly with Azamara.  But as indicated, the lyalty program points earned while sailing on each remains exclusively with the cruise line on which you are sailing.

RCI is the only cruise line I am aware of that does this.

36 minutes ago, capriccio said:

They do.  Look at the spreadsheet.  A HAL 4 Star Mariner matched to Diamond last month.  Carnival Diamond matched to Gold.  I have read anecdotally on the MSC board that it is getting harder to match to Diamond but MSC doesn't share the criteria they use in making the determination.

That indicates the equivalent tier level compared to each line.  But if you are sailing, for instance, on HAL but have status only with Carnival, does HAL provide equivalent benefits to your Carnival tier level while on their ships?  That is, as described in my previous post, how RCI does it. 

As a side comment, I also believe the status match offered in recent years to attract new customers on MSC may be discontinuing.  And with them you have to cruise repeatedly within a given time frame to maintain that status on MSC.  Also IMO their loyalty program compared to others is not that strong,

Leaveitallbehind - sorry I misinterpretted kywildcatfanone's comment.  I have read the discontinuation rumor the whole time I've been reading the MSC board (about 1 year).  You do have to travel once every 3 years and if you lose your match status, you cannot apply again.

As far as the loyalty program, it starts off for everyone with a match (including the lowest levels) with a 5% discount on the cruise and goes up to 15% on some itineraries.  Plus MSC allows TAs to discount cruises on top of that.  Compared to Princess' loyalty program (what we matched with), I give the slight edge to MSC since it includes a free specialty dinner, an hour in the thermal spa, and the not to be overlooked chocolate ship (😀 - it is solid chocolate and must weigh close to a pound and was delicious!) in addition to Princess' offered perks.  I can't compare it to any other cruise line but since it was free - I didn't have to spend the time and money it took to reach the highest level on Princess - I don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

5 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Leaveitallbehind - sorry I misinterpretted kywildcatfanone's comment.  I have read the discontinuation rumor the whole time I've been reading the MSC board (about 1 year).  You do have to travel once every 3 years and if you lose your match status, you cannot apply again.

As far as the loyalty program, it starts off for everyone with a match (including the lowest levels) with a 5% discount on the cruise and goes up to 15% on some itineraries.  Plus MSC allows TAs to discount cruises on top of that.  Compared to Princess' loyalty program (what we matched with), I give the slight edge to MSC since it includes a free specialty dinner, an hour in the thermal spa, and the not to be overlooked chocolate ship (😀 - it is solid chocolate and must weigh close to a pound and was delicious!) in addition to Princess' offered perks.  I can't compare it to any other cruise line but since it was free - I didn't have to spend the time and money it took to reach the highest level on Princess - I don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Thanks for your follow up. Sorry -  I may not have been clear with my understanding of your comments and subsequently my question.  I understand the MSC match program and am familiar with how it words, but appreciate your detail. 

I was asking (as I mistakenly thought you were also saying) if HAL offers reciprocal benefits with Carvnival as RCI does within their brands.  I am not aware of any other cruise line that has reciprocity within their own brands as with RCI.

Sorry again for my confusion. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

3 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I was asking (as I mistakenly thought you were also saying) if HAL offers reciprocal benefits with Carvnival as RCI does within their brands.  I am not aware of any other cruise line that has reciprocity within their own brands as with RCI.

There is no reciprocity within Carnival brands like there is within RCI brands.  I have read that HAL will give Princess (maybe other Carnival brands too but I haven't seen that) one star mariner status but there really aren't much in the way of perks attached.  Historically Princess used to recognize P&O passengers cruising history for Princess status and maybe it worked the other way too due to Princess once being owned by P&O IIRC but that ended a few years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I have 2 MSC cruises in the Med, coming up in Oct. I status matched with my Diamond on RCI. As a chocolate lover, it’s good to know that the chocolate ships were good. Now I can look forward to 2. LOL

9 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I have 2 MSC cruises in the Med, coming up in Oct. I status matched with my Diamond on RCI. As a chocolate lover, it’s good to know that the chocolate ships were good. Now I can look forward to 2. LOL

If your cabin mate is also Diamond you each get your own!  Enjoy!

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

There is no reciprocity within Carnival brands like there is within RCI brands.  I have read that HAL will give Princess (maybe other Carnival brands too but I haven't seen that) one star mariner status but there really aren't much in the way of perks attached.

HAL does recognize you as a 1 star if you're a past cruiser with any line under the Carnival umbrella.  But as you said , it means almost nothing.  HAL perks are almost non existent.  

Edited by Aquahound

5 hours ago, capriccio said:

There is no reciprocity within Carnival brands like there is within RCI brands.  I have read that HAL will give Princess (maybe other Carnival brands too but I haven't seen that) one star mariner status but there really aren't much in the way of perks attached.  Historically Princess used to recognize P&O passengers cruising history for Princess status and maybe it worked the other way too due to Princess once being owned by P&O IIRC but that ended a few years ago. 

Yes, my first P&O points were actually from Princess, but this was not long after P&O Princess was bought by Carnival. It continued for a few years; P&O stopped recognising Princess some time back, although Princess continued to accept P&O, but that has all ended now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jocap said:

Yes, my first P&O points were actually from Princess,

but this was not long after P&O Princess was bought by Carnival.

It continued for a few years;

P&O stopped recognising Princess some time back,

although Princess continued to accept P&O, but that has all ended now.

Funny thing is

that the Carnival CORPORATION owns the whole ruddy lot!

- over 100 ships. It's quite a collection of cruise lines!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Corporation_%26_plc

• Like 1

Many P&O cruises here until Aurora failed on its around the world cruise and left us stranded. Came back to Princess and enjoyed the days being credited for both. That ended a while back but I was told that Princess still counts all P&O cruises taken before 2017 but  none after that. sure has been confusing 🙂

• Like 1