Demographic Survey Virgin Voyages

70KToM

Virgin Voyages Demographic Survey - What age are you?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Virgin Voyages seems to be marketing towards millennials, but who is actually sailing on these ships? Please vote in this poll.

• 18-24
    • 25-29
    • 30-34
    • 35-39
    • 40-44
    • 45-49
    • 50-54
    • 55-59
    • 60-64
    • 65-69
    • 70-74
    • 75-59
    • 80-84
    • 85-89
    • 90+
  2. 2. What is the age of your main traveling companion?

• None, traveling solo
    • 18-24
    • 25-29
    • 30-34
    • 35-39
    • 40-44
    • 45-49
    • 50-54
    • 55-59
    • 60-64
    • 65-69
    • 70-74
    • 75-59
    • 80-84
    • 85-89
    • 90+

Yeah, I'd love to see more polls! I'm also excited about seeing the first cruise reports come in. I imagine the inaugural cruise will have some really cool surprises, but of course also initial bumps in the road. My partner would love to use the tattoo studio, so we're hoping to hear more about that, and I'd love to see a daily schedule. I wonder if there will be quizzes; that's one of my favorite things on board.

Alyssa, I think the opposite is true. I see lots of people in their 40s and 50s on cruisecritic, yet the last three cruises I've taken there was virtually nobody under 60. I've posted to reddit as well, which has a very young demographic.

hotsauce, that's very true, but that's in comparison to the general population. However, I suspect they skew much younger than the average age of a cruise ship passenger, which is decades older. Since we're polling the latter, that's what matters for the purpose of this poll.

Edited by 70KToM

I disagree with the premise.  Virgin is not marketing towards millennials., they are marketing towards Bransonites.  That is to say, people similar to Richard Branson... there are a ton of middle aged or older people that enjoy a sense of style and fun.  Yes the people in the marketing images are young, also true of diamond or most other luxury advertising.

• Like 3

Just go to Virgin Voyages and click on suites - the couple pictured in the header is certainly not thirty-something years old. "Bransonite" is a good description. Good for everyone with the right attitude.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kgelner said:

I disagree with the premise.  Virgin is not marketing towards millennials., they are marketing towards Bransonites.  That is to say, people similar to Richard Branson... there are a ton of middle aged or older people that enjoy a sense of style and fun.  Yes the people in the marketing images are young, also true of diamond or most other luxury advertising.

Age should be an attitude and lifestyle rather than a number.

I never quite understood how the several threads turned up claiming VV is targeting Millennial's.  

Contrasting expectations from VV compared to others... when it comes to age... we know one thing is for certain:  no one under age 18.  And my guess is there will be FAR LESS scooters on VV.

So I did the calculation as of today, with 49 responses here, and several responses on a different site (skews much younger) as well, and it comes out to an average age of 44 and a median age of 47. 

• Thanks 1

Hilariously, I guess, I am 48.

But I work with a bunch of millennials and am married to one, and tend to be slightly more in sync with them than I am with my gen x coworkers. Late bloomer I guess. 

I’ve been hyping VV to my coworkers. Many of them have been on RC, Carnival, or Princess Cruises. 

Edited by AlyssaJames

On 2/18/2020 at 12:18 PM, kgelner said:

On 2/18/2020 at 3:57 PM, twodjs said:

Just go to Virgin Voyages and click on suites - the couple pictured in the header is certainly not thirty-something years old. "Bransonite" is a good description. Good for everyone with the right attitude.

Spot on, in my view. It's not an age, it's a mindset. It struck me as obvious from the ages of many of those posting here (55 yo myself!). I absolutely love the idea of no kids, no restaurant surcharges (with what looks to be upscale dining), more than reasonably priced booze, and a well-done sense of whimsy to it all. 

On 2/24/2020 at 3:54 PM, Pyro Tec said:

Exactly what I was going to say!

On most of the cruises I go on, I ask people I meet if they know what "Cruise Critic" is?  Less than 10% do. (This is people while ON a Cruise.)

Edited by ano
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...