Air Tahiti Nui through LAX

wishIweretravelling

We are flying into LAX on Delta, with a 6-hour layover in LAX, then on to Papeete on Air Tahiti Nui.  Our air was arranged through the cruise line.

Does anyone know if they will transfer our checked bags directly from Delta to ATN, or will we need to claim the bags, then drag them over to the international terminal ourselves? I know that they will transfer directly if you fly in on American; it's less clear re Delta.

Delta operates out of terminal 2 and 3 at LAX. Terminal 2 is right next door to Tom Bradley Intl terminal, not a bad walk, and Terminal 3 is just a little bit further. Really not an awful distance to lug either way.

Edited by Petoonya

On 2/17/2020 at 9:14 PM, dalest said:

Is Alaska airline partners with ATN? Will they transfer or will a pick up and recheck be needed?

No Dalest, Alaska is not an ATN partner. We fly Alaska to LAX for ATN flights and like you need to pickup and recheck.

It's a bit of a walk unfortunately, but doable. Walking fast from the gate you should be able to get from Terminal 6 to TBIT in 20-25 min. Swimming upstream at a busy time of day it can take you 45-50min. There is a shuttle that runs every 10 min but probably take you just as long. We like to arrive early, get a day hotel so we can shower and have a meal, and then get a ride to TBIT.

Edited by Petoonya

On 2/17/2020 at 6:49 AM, wishIweretravelling said:

Thank you both.  I don't suppose you know how much time before the flight the ATN desk opens?  We have a long layover (6 hours) at LAX, and I'd hate to have to spend hours outside of security before we can check our bags. We are on the 4:40 pm flight to Papeete.

Hi Wish. 6 hours is an ideal layover time. If your arrival flight is on time it should take you about 30-45 min to get to ATN check in at Tom Bradley with some cushioning budgeted in. I'm a worrier and like a few hours on both ends. There are some wonderful restaurants past security- especially one Mexican I always look forward to.

3 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

By the time you grab your bags and walk over to TBIT you will only have about an hour before the ATN counter opens 😉  There are several nice places to hang once your past security. 

I was able to reach someone at ATN. They tell me that the counter opens 3 hours before flight. And my layover is actually closer to 7 hours. My flight into LAX has a good on-time record. That means I'll have 3-1/2 hours before the counter opens from the time I'm likely to have bags in hand until the counter opens. And, looking at photos of TBIT, there doesn't appear to be a lot of seating in the departures/ticketing area. I'd rather go to a hotel, use their gym, get a shower, and be refreshed for the next long flight. I just did some research, and the price of a day room is surprisingly low. 

2 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

Is there a day hotel you'd recommend?

We've stayed at Hyatt Regency, Courtyard and Crowne Plaza. This time at Crowne Plaza. They are right all on Century at the gateway to LAX but still very quiet. Don't laugh but my husband is a fiend for In-n-out Burgers and Crowne Plaza's back lot leads to one! With 7 hours I'd do the day room too. Have fun!

On the midnight flight do you get any type of snack or meal?

I have a day room booked at Embassy Suites North from noon to 9. 
I have a 13 hour layover so it’s worth it to me. 

Edited by kelib

3 hours ago, kelib said:

On the midnight flight do you get any type of snack or meal?

I have a day room booked at Embassy Suites North from noon to 9. 
I have a 13 hour layover so it’s worth it to me. 

Yes Kelib- they feed you a full meal about 1-1.5 hours after take-off before you settle in. Then again about 1.5 hours before landing. The first meal has always been very good. Breakfast....not so much, but that's just me. We always bring protein bars and snacks to cover the bases on both ends. The flight goes much faster than I ever feel like it's going to.

Your hotel choice sounds wonderful. We have about 8 hours at our hotel coming up in April so it's also ideal.

We have a day room at the Residence Inn.  They seem to have a somewhat larger gym than the other options, so that's what tipped the scale for us.  After a 6-hour flight from the east coast to LA, and looking ahead to nearly 6 more hours to Papeete, a good workout seems in order in the in-between time.

1 hour ago, wishIweretravelling said:

We have a day room at the Residence Inn.  They seem to have a somewhat larger gym than the other options, so that's what tipped the scale for us.  After a 6-hour flight from the east coast to LA, and looking ahead to nearly 6 more hours to Papeete, a good workout seems in order in the in-between time.

It's 8 - 8 1/2 hours from LAX to PPT 😉

56 minutes ago, Luv my furbaby said:

So if I am flying to LAX on American and then Air Tahiti, will I need to retrieve my luggage?  Sorry for my confusion but I have never had to switch airlines. 
thanks

Usually AA will forward to ATN  ….. just ask. They are not part of the same alliance but have a code share agreement so it is up to AA at the first check-in id they want to forward though typically they will if you ask.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

22 hours ago, Luv my furbaby said:

So if I am flying to LAX on American and then Air Tahiti, will I need to retrieve my luggage?  Sorry for my confusion but I have never had to switch airlines. 
thanks

https://www.airtahitinui.com/us-en/time-saving-tips-lax

Found this on the ATN website.  Says if you are flying AA or Alaska, you can ask for your luggage to be checked through.

45 minutes ago, salmn said:

Found this on the ATN website.  Says if you are flying AA or Alaska, you can ask for your luggage to be checked through.

Nice that ATN added the tunnel map as many don't know it is there  .... it dates back 50 years but along with the sky way it makes it easy to go directly to TBIT.  Thanks for adding the link for everyone 🙂

17 hours ago, salmn said:

Thanks Salmn.

That’s wonderful news.

I’m a terrible worrier tho and will prob still transfer myself:(. Which makes no sense as will have to lug it all to day stay hotel and back again.