Is there a list of dress codes available for each voyage in 2020?

Lynnewob

I have checked on the P&O website and can only locate dress codes (as per below) for 2019 but nothing for 2020.

Arcadia from cruise J814 through to J921

Aurora from cruise R818N through to R927

Azura from cruise A827 through to A932A

Oceana from cruise E820 through to E929D

Oriana from cruise X818 through to X913

Ventura from cruise N826 through to N938

Britannia from cruise B828 through to B934D

Does anyone have a link to enable this to be looked up please? 

I know on the Cunard forum, there is a link to the 2020 themes which is helpful as the personaliser doesn't show any dress code (despite it saying it will).

The website says the personaliser SHOULD give the information but it doesn't, hence why asking now.

• Like 1

Useful information but too late.We are travelling from Sydney to Southampton then travelling round Europe for 4 months . Certainly won’t be able to take suits, tuxedos or glam dresses. Limited luggage. Guess we will be eating elsewhere on the formal nights of which there seem to be an overload.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2 minutes ago, mahamelb said:

Useful information but too late.We are travelling from Sydney to Southampton then travelling round Europe for 4 months . Certainly won’t be able to take suits, tuxedos or glam dresses. Limited luggage. Guess we will be eating elsewhere on the formal nights of which there seem to be an overload.

If you can squeeze a jacket in your luggage then teamed with some dark trousers should be OK, and for the lady black silky trousers and posh tops will be more than adequate.

If you can squeeze a jacket in your luggage then teamed with some dark trousers should be OK, and for the lady black silky trousers and posh tops will be more than adequate.

Husband will take a navy blue blazer jacket and navy blue trousers and bow tie ( that doesn’t weigh much!) Fortunately I will have some silk pants and a few different tops. I just imagined a lot of ladies in ball gowns!

Silky trousers and a few silky or flowy tops are absolutely perfect... and perhaps a bit of bling.  A small little clutch bag in a colour would be good too.

That's what a lot of ladies did and they all looked great.  There are a few ball gowns.. lovely to see but in a minority.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mahamelb said:

Husband will take a navy blue blazer jacket and navy blue trousers and bow tie ( that doesn’t weigh much!) Fortunately I will have some silk pants and a few different tops. I just imagined a lot of ladies in ball gowns!

You will be absolutely fine. 

As long as you look smart, nobody minds. 

We usually dress up fairly formal, but have travelled with many who are just dressed smartly. 

Andy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mahamelb said:

You are sorted 

On 2/16/2020 at 5:29 AM, terrierjohn said:

I like to travel as light as possible, especially when combining a cruise with some time on land before or after.  I pack things that can do double duty while traveling.  You can't blame not wanting to get dressed up for dinner on airline luggage fees. My black sport coat weighs 20 ounces.  It is really the only addition to my luggage for formal nights. 

I pair the jacket with a pair of black trousers and then slip on a nice T-shirt, and slip a matching pocket square into the jacket breast pocket.  One evening on my most recent cruise on Princess, I wore the black sport coat, black trousers, a bright red T-shirt with a bright red pocket square.  In one of the lounges, two different women at two different times commented on how sharp I looked and how they wished their husbands like to dress up.  

I shared my secret with them, probably to the dismay of their husbands. 

And, I have never been turned away or felt out of place on any cruise line - including Cunard, Princess, and Celebrity.  Do you think I will pass muster on an upcoming cruise on the Aurora?

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Strictly speaking,  you are in breach of the dress code,  because you are not wearing a tie. You will probably be OK,  but a zealous Maitre D' might take offence.

Hope your rash goes before your cruise.

I'm still in the witness protection program so I am not allowed to show my face because of the facial recognition technology employed by my adversaries. 👍

That's also my story when someone is overly inquisitive about what I do when they are obviously trying to discern if I really belong in steerage.😄

• Haha 1

In agreement with Wowzz

The dress code on P&O is "Black Tie"

The clue ought to be in the title TBH

For gents P&O state this as

"tuxedo, or dinner jacket, or alternatively a dark business suit and tie. You may also wear formal national dress or military uniform."

So no, your attire as shown there does not conform regardless of how smart you or anyone else deems it.

Aside from that, for me personally, it also fails the entire spirit of the dress code.   The idea is that we all conform to a certain standard for the benefit of all.   A t-shirt is not Black Tie attire simple as.  You need a shirt and you definitely need a tie.

P&O even display a picture of the suitable attire options lest anyone is still confused:

pocruiseformalwear.png.c93b4ad41b2c65936535874fe8187bc7.png

9 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

In agreement with Wowzz

"tuxedo, or dinner jacket, or alternatively a dark business suit and tie. You may also wear formal national dress or military uniform."

So no, your attire as shown there does not conform regardless of how smart you or anyone else deems it.

Aside from that, for me personally, it also fails the entire spirit of the dress code.   The idea is that we all conform to a certain standard for the benefit of all.   A t-shirt is not Black Tie attire simple as.  You need a shirt and you definitely need a tie.

P&O even display a picture of the suitable attire options lest anyone is still confused:

Thanks for posting that. The P&O website was a bit wonky today and I couldn't find the dress code info.

This was another one of my formal night ensembles.  I guess I would need to tie a rag around my neck in order to meet the code.  This was my black sport coat, black slacks, a black T-shirt, and a black pocket square.   

I've worn this on Cunard after traveling for two months in Europe prior to the cruise, have asked the maitre d if it was OK, and have never even raised an eyebrow.  There's always the guy who shows up on chinos and s shirt with no tie or jacket and still gets seated in the MDR.

I can always pack a black shirt and black tie if it will ruin somebody else's  cruise on P&O.  

IMG_20200202_180431080~2.jpg

8 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

There's always the guy who shows up on chinos and s shirt with no tie or jacket and still gets seated in the MDR.

I have just come back off a cruise on Oceana,  and  attended all four formal nights.  No sign of a guy in chinos - 100% conformance to dress code,  and over 75% of the men wore DJs. 

9 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

In agreement with Wowzz

I see that the black tie ensemble includes socks and a watch.

Are socks and a timepiece therefore not required for the lounge suite combo?

And what about pants?  I'm talking English, not American. Are they optional, mandatory or Commando? Both outfits.

😁😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

This was another one of my formal night ensembles.  I guess I would need to tie a rag around my neck in order to meet the code.  This was my black sport coat, black slacks, a black T-shirt, and a black pocket square.   

I've worn this on Cunard after traveling for two months in Europe prior to the cruise, have asked the maitre d if it was OK, and have never even raised an eyebrow. 

I confess I don't really understand the point you are trying to make here nor do I understand the mentality of wishing to participate in a dress code event whilst not participating in the dress code and looking for ways to essentially flaunt it.

There's enough variety and opportunity to be unique or flamboyant or flash or understated or colourful within the bounds of the dress code.  You can wear different coloured shirts or ties or jackets or trousers.   The point is that it's an event where everyone generally participates in a standard dress code for the benefit of their fellow passengers.

If I'm required to wear a tie or bow tie of any sort to participate then that's what I am going to do whether I like it or not, whether I consider it a "rag" or a "cow tow" or otherwise. 

I don't do it because it's a rule

I don't do it because P&O ask me to

I do it for my fellow passengers to uphold the intended spirit of the dress code and event

If I felt that I needed to try and break that dress code and charismatically talk my way around a maître d, then I would

simply elect NOT to participate and stay in areas of the ship where dress code was not required.

Edited by KnowTheScore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2020 at 6:31 AM, KnowTheScore said:

I confess I don't really understand the point you are trying to make here nor do I understand the mentality of wishing to participate in a dress code event whilst not participating in the dress code and looking for ways to essentially flaunt it.

There's enough variety and opportunity to be unique or flamboyant or flash or understated or colourful within the bounds of the dress code.  You can wear different coloured shirts or ties or jackets or trousers.   The point is that it's an event where everyone generally participates in a standard dress code for the benefit of their fellow passengers.

If I'm required to wear a tie or bow tie of any sort to participate then that's what I am going to do whether I like it or not, whether I consider it a "rag" or a "cow tow" or otherwise. 

I don't do it because it's a rule

I don't do it because P&O ask me to

I do it for my fellow passengers to uphold the intended spirit of the dress code and event

If I felt that I needed to try and break that dress code and charismatically talk my way around a maître d, then I would

simply elect NOT to participate and stay in areas of the ship where dress code was not required.

I can see and understand your position.  Thanks for sharing.  I prefer to travel light and pack what is necessary, but with enough that I can dress for dinner on a ship without offending anyone's sensibilities.  A smile and some polite conversation go a long way.  If my lack of a tie is offensive, I don't think I'm the one with the problem.  A pompous ass dressed in a tuxedo is still a pompous ass. 

As the character Jack Dawson said in the movie Titanic  "Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it."

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I can see and understand your position.  Thanks for sharing.  I prefer to travel light and pack what is necessary, but with enough that I can dress for dinner on a ship without offending anyone's sensibilities.  A smile and some polite conversation go a long way.  If my lack of a tie is offensive, I don't think I'm the one with the problem.  A pompous ass dressed in a tuxedo is still a pompous ass. 

As the character Jack Dawson said in the movie Titanic  "Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it."

Cheers.

You still don't seem to have grasped the concept of a dress code, do you? It's not a matter of a lack of a tie being "offensive" that is the issue,  it is that you have chosen to  cruise on a line that has a code, and as such, you should adhere to that code.  

33 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You still don't seem to have grasped the concept of a dress code, do you? It's not a matter of a lack of a tie being "offensive" that is the issue,  it is that you have chosen to  cruise on a line that has a code, and as such, you should adhere to that code.  

So you like to travel light. Fine. A tie isn't heavy and takes up no room. Can I politely ask without meaning to offend,  why if you consider a "pompous ass in a tux" is offensive do you choose a ship where a strict dress code is enforced?  I have noticed that of the lines you mentioned as ok with a t-shirt under your jacket or no tie, P&O wasn't among them.

Edited by Adawn47
Added text

On 2/19/2020 at 8:03 AM, Adawn47 said:

So you like to travel light. Fine. A tie isn't heavy and takes up no room. Can I politely ask without meaning to offend,  why if you consider a "pompous ass in a tux" is offensive do you choose a ship where a strict dress code is enforced?  I have noticed that of the lines you mentioned as ok with a t-shirt under your jacket or no tie, P&O wasn't among them.

Good point about a shirt and tie not being that heavy.  I'll pack one or two when I cruise on P&O.  

A pompous ass in a tux is still a pompous ass is a roundabout counter to the old saw that clothes make the man.  As I have cruised over the years, I have met a variety of people and some of the most charming have been amongst those who may not be dressed to the nines and some of the most boorish have been those who show up in a tux and are definitely dressed to impress.  I know it's a broad generalization, but the extremes are memorable.

Dress codes, chair hogs, and smoking are all hot topics aren't they?

Cheers.

20 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Good point about a shirt and tie not being that heavy.  I'll pack one or two when I cruise on P&O.  

A pompous ass in a tux is still a pompous ass is a roundabout counter to the old saw that clothes make the man.  As I have cruised over the years, I have met a variety of people and some of the most charming have been amongst those who may not be dressed to the nines and some of the most boorish have been those who show up in a tux and are definitely dressed to impress.  I know it's a broad generalization, but the extremes are memorable.

Dress codes, chair hogs, and smoking are all hot topics aren't they?

Cheers.

I quite agree with you that clothes don't make a man. Respect and good manners do, both of which you need if you adhere to the dress code on formal night. They don't dress to impress, they dress to use the MDR on formal evenings. My husband never owned a dinner suit until we began cruising, he never needed one. He's not a pompous ass, he's a real gent. 

• Like 2