First River Cruise--Uniworld?

sabbo55

I am new to river cruising and am planning our first, so I apologize if this has been asked before.

We are looking towards an all-inclusive experience.

Uniworld’s brochure states: “ UNLIMITED CHOICE OF PREMIUM SPIRITS AND WINES Enjoy only the finest wines with every meal or relax with a top-shelf cocktail, prepared with your favorite ultra-premium liquor”.

Is the unlimited spirits/wines only with meals, or is it all day/night?

1 hour ago, bobcatalfie said:

All day and night, whenever the bar is open. Or if not open, often you can find someone to make you a drink. At least that was how it was on the two Uniworld cruises I have taken (last year and the year before).

Thank you..that's what I wanted to hear!

We have our third Uniworld river cruise now scheduled.  We have sailed through Belgium and the Netherlands for the Tulip season, Castles along the the Rhine and Main, and have the Douro River in Portugal booked for a future trip. Very highly recommend their entire product.

Me too. We have done four - one every year from 2014 to 2017. Liked all of them very much. Did the Rhine, Rhone, Danube, and then went to India with them.

Seriously considered the Douro with them as well but decided to tackle that trip on our own.

Is there a particular itinerary you have in mind? 

We are looking at the Rhine Cruise- Basel/Amsterdam.  We would like to get a German feel on this trip, having done Italy extensively  on Azamara.

Being new to river cruising, I am looking at all options. Can anyone comment on Crystal River Cruises?  How does it compare to Uniworld?

59 minutes ago, sabbo55 said:

We are looking at the Rhine Cruise- Basel/Amsterdam.  We would like to get a German feel on this trip, having done Italy extensively  on Azamara.

Being new to river cruising, I am looking at all options. ...snip

sabbo55,

German feel is a nice thought. I would say that, wouldn't I, being German? smile.

I hope you do not mind me commenting. On the Amsterdam to Basel itinerary you visit several countries of course and about a quarter to a third of the journey is not in German territory. Never looked at the exact figures... Not wanting to be a geography nerd but Amsterdam isn't even on the Rhine, the city is reached via a modern canal. That itinerary is very popular and great for a first time river cruiser. I find that for a German feel there is another - better - option, though. If you have a couple of extra days (and spare cash) see if there is a Rhine and Moselle itinerary you could do. Or if you leave out Amsterdam and start in Cologne you may spend more time in Germany, depending on itinerary. British companies often favour starting from Cologne.

About Uniworld: I like their itinerary that has a stop in Boppard. They have some interesting excursions.

About Crystal: they mostly go to the same places as other companies - they are quite good at marketing themselves as a bit more unique. I tend not to think that as regards their basic itineraries but their excursions and "experiences" are a bit special - nice stuff there, a bit pricey though.

Hope this helps.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

The Rhine was our first trip, in 2014. My info about specific tours on this itinerary is a bit dated, I am sure, but the beauty of the river and the castles section is not. I can't comment on Crystal but there are some reviews on these boards; I think Keith1010 cruised with them, but not the Rhine, perhaps?

My Uniworld review is here: 

And there is a review of a Crystal sailing on the Rhine here:

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

The Rhine was our first trip, in 2014. My info about specific tours on this itinerary is a bit dated, I am sure, but the beauty of the river and the castles section is not. I can't comment on Crystal but there are some reviews on these boards; I think Keith1010 cruised with them, but not the Rhine, perhaps?

My Uniworld review is here: 

And there is a review of a Crystal sailing on the Rhine here:

Thanks so much!

Always get the best info from those on CC

We did a cruise on Avalon, NUE-BSL, so, main/danube canal, Main, a little of the Rhine - for the Christmas markets. Definitely got some good German feeling on that trip (Christmas was my priority, Germany was my husband's priority, so that was our compromise) There are so many good options out there!

(my in-laws were on that cruise with us  in 2014 - it was their first Avalon cruise after 4 or 5 Uniworld cruises. They loved Uniworld, but they thoroughly enjoyed Avalon as well)