F-J's Magical Mystery Tour of Asia: a prologue

Flamin_June

We chose to cancel - I didn't want to go into it because I didn't want to negatively influence anybody else's decision. I'm happy to admit that I may have an over-inflated notion of just how much, if any, influence I have here. But I'm also aware that Seabourn are trying their hardest to manage an unprecedented situation, keep their passengers and crew safe and mediate their financial losses.People can make their own decisions about what they want to do, but for what it's worth, here is how we looked at it.

First off, Chairsin summed up our initial thoughts with some perception in post 63 here.

In the end it boiled down to the fact that I have travelled to and around the Persian Gulf states on business and together with A on holiday, or passing through, many times. We cherish our time on Seabourn, but our travel budgeting only stretches to a cruise a year on average , and we did not want to waste our time on a significant number of stops ( about 6/7 port calls) that held no interest.  Seabourn ships are not the destination for us, though they are our absolute favourite way of getting to destinations. We thought quite hard about the fact that we are desperate for some sun and sea, but the thought of waking up day after day in places that we didn't want to be in was the deal breaker. Secondly the rythm and pattern of the cruise had altered significantly for us. We were attracted to this cruise because it had an unusual and very relaxing pace - a few sea days, an overnight, a few sea days, another overnight, and so on. We have also visited Sri Lanka several times over the years, and travelled extensively over much of the island. While we love the place and have friends there, Hanbantota holds no attraction. Anywhere else, Galle, Trinco, would have been more appealing. The revised itinerary just wasn't a cruise that we would ever have considered taking if it had been on the schedule.

It was a hard decision to make - it would perhaps have been easier to just go with it, despite the hassle of re-arranging flights, because, now, we are very much in the slough of despond, all the things we were looking forward to gone, and what feels like endless days of correspondence involving cancellations, requests for refunds, and sitting listening to our Travel Insurers on-hold music for hour after hour. 

Colombo has many fine hotels to stay at for a day or two pre-cruise. We were going to stay at the Galle Face, which is very much colonial style,  and fairly close to the port. Its a lovely old place, but one should try to get a sea facing room if posible. Other more modern places I could recommend based on personal experience ( but we haven't been there for a few years) are the Taj, the Cinammon Grand, even the Hilton, which is a bit late-20th century old fashioned, but has a great Sri Lankan dining venue, as well as other more cosmopolitan dining options. At the Hilton, go for a corner room on a higher level. We stayed at the Hilton in the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami, when it was full of journalists and visiting dignitaries and UN & Red Cross big-wigs. It was such a haven after the trials and tribulations of the first week or so following the disaster that I will always have a soft spot for it.   We also like the colonial style Mount Lavinia, but it's a bit of a hike from the airport, and back to the port, whereas the others are much more central and only a short(ish) cab ride for embarkation.There are quite a few high-end boutique style hotels as well.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/sri-lanka/colombo/hotels/

has a good selection to chose from.

Edited by Flamin_June

On 2/28/2020 at 12:06 AM, Fletcher said:

And now it's left the Marina and is sailing up the Straits of Malacca.

Ovation must be annoying all the other ships around it. It's in a shipping lane between the straits of Malacca and Columbo where most ships are doing around 10kts. Ovation has been bumbling along at 1.4 kts for a day or more. They must be getting calls from concerned captains around them that they've broken down. 

No point paying those Columbo port charges before you need to eh! 

1 hour ago, rols said:

Ovation must be annoying all the other ships around it. It's in a shipping lane between the straits of Malacca and Columbo where most ships are doing around 10kts. Ovation has been bumbling along at 1.4 kts for a day or more. They must be getting calls from concerned captains around them that they've broken down. 

No point paying those Columbo port charges before you need to eh! 

The Ovation has been doing a slow waltz with Regent Seven Seas Voyager which should have been on a long Hong Kong-Japan sweep.  That ship isn't due in Colombo until 6 April so it will have to hang around the tip of Sumatra for another month . . . what a weird situation this is, crippling for cruise lines.  The situation in the Pacific is just as difficult.

I am astonished at how fast-moving this whole C-19 situation is, despite the slow moving cruise ships in the Bay of Bengal.

Talking of slow moving, insurance providors in the UK are taking a battering with this crisis AND the flood and storm damage.

Trying to put a travel insurance claim in at the moment is like wading through waist-high treacle, waiting for replies from insurer, airlines, hotels. Pulling all the necessary documentation together is so time-consuming. I don't know how I would be managing if I was still in full-time employment, or trying to run a business.

Now, also trying to convince A that we should think about booking another cruise (several months down the line), so that this thread has a continuing purpose, but she is adamant that we wait until we have recouped as much as we can from the present debacle. Sensible, of course, as one is likely to make all sorts of catastrophic judgement calls while on the rebound.

Edited by Flamin_June
tidying punctuation

I wonder if Ovation will get to its final destination, Dubai, UAE.

The UAE has closed all nurseries for 2 weeks and closing schools and colleges may follow. They have also cancelled public events.

The numbers of those with coronavirus are increasing daily. But since all media is government controlled and the UAE is always reluctant to report news that may affect the economy and tourism it is likely that actual numbers are much higher.

They are reporting that most cases are in people who have visited Iran or in contact with those who have visited Iran. Also a few Chinese nationals and Italians.

Posted a few minutes ago by a good friend of mine who is on Azamara heading towards Sri Lanka. Quote “Captain has just announced that Sri Lanka is refusing entry to all crew and passengers from all ships. We can refuel and restock (essentials like food and drink) but we will miss our 2 day Sri Lanka adventure”. 

We are on Ovation departing Colombo 14th March. I have no idea what is going to happen but it’s not looking good. 

15 hours ago, JDB55 said:

Posted a few minutes ago by a good friend of mine who is on Azamara heading towards Sri Lanka. Quote “Captain has just announced that Sri Lanka is refusing entry to all crew and passengers from all ships. We can refuel and restock (essentials like food and drink) but we will miss our 2 day Sri Lanka adventure”. 

We are on Ovation departing Colombo 14th March. I have no idea what is going to happen but it’s not looking good. 

Current thinking over on the Seabourn and Coronavirus thread is you'll likely be fine as you'll be embarking not disembarking. So as long as you fulfil the requirements to enter Sri Lanka by air, and fulfil whatever Seabourn's requirements are for embarking the ship, your cruise will start from there. 

Encore however, which just had its entire South East Asia itinerary in April replaced with Darwin to Columbo is likely going to have to alter it again because if things don't change, nobody is going to be able to get off in Columbo. 

Of course Sri Lanka just randomly banning cruise ships, most of which have already been re-routed to avoid anywhere even tangentially connected to the virus, whilst still accepting flights from mainland China is completely stupid. It also shows no matter how the lines plan, events can overtake you and countries can act completely arbitrarily. I think Seabourn would have been better off sticking to Singapore myself but I'm biased. 

2 hours ago, rols said:

Current thinking over on the Seabourn and Coronavirus thread is you'll likely be fine as you'll be embarking not disembarking. So as long as you fulfil the requirements to enter Sri Lanka by air, and fulfil whatever Seabourn's requirements are for embarking the ship, your cruise will start from there. 

Encore however, which just had its entire South East Asia itinerary in April replaced with Darwin to Columbo is likely going to have to alter it again because if things don't change, nobody is going to be able to get off in Columbo. 

Of course Sri Lanka just randomly banning cruise ships, most of which have already been re-routed to avoid anywhere even tangentially connected to the virus, whilst still accepting flights from mainland China is completely stupid. It also shows no matter how the lines plan, events can overtake you and countries can act completely arbitrarily. I think Seabourn would have been better off sticking to Singapore myself but I'm biased. 

Thanks rols. I think you’re right about embarking from Colombo. Although the (new) first port of call is Hambantota in Sri Lanka so I presume that will be canned. I also agree that with the benefit of hindsight, they should have stayed with the original itinerary and embarked from SIN. Oh well!! 

• 2 weeks later...

What a to do!

What to do?

I used to come here to catch up on the pleasant Seabourney things, indulge in a bit of creative writing; even when not posting, just lurking, it was a pleasure to find some wit and wisdom, hints and tips, and pleasant chit-chat among the necessary posts and questions on more mundane and frequently asked practical matters. It was a bit - just a bit - like still being on board , a way of keeping that connection to other passengers and crew, of keeping the Seabourn experience going in a cerebral way.

And now it is mostly doom and gloom, anger and dismay. I say mostly, - we do have small shafts of sunlight from Catlover54, Westmount, and others, a dash of acerbic wit here and there and even some quite amusing and mostly well-behaved political venting. However, I don't know about you, but I am beginning to get coronavirus fatigue. Unfortunately this is the bug that keeps on bugging, and it seems we have a long way to go before it finally bugs off. A long way to go and no ships to take us there.

Well, to hell with it - this is the blog that keeps on blogging. I am not going to let the impending end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it put me off my stride. This started off as a 'getting ready to go on cruise' blog and we are still getting ready to go on a cruise. We may be getting ready to go on a cruise for some time and, while we sit and wait for our refund in splendid self-isolation, I need something to occupy  the hours. A fitting end for this magical mystery tour would see me in a white tuxedo walking down the stairs to the MDR humming 'Your Mother Should Know', but until then .....

In a alternative reality we would be enjoying a sail-away from Singapore on this very day. I was looking forward to watching the distinctive skyline diminish as dusk beckoned us to dinner, and then gazing out from an aft deck as the last visible flickering lights disappeared into the night.  I love that sight and sound of the ship's wake on the first night, luminescent in the floodlights, the familiar but long-missed scent of the churning sea, and then walking back to our suite for one last nightcap secure in the knowledge that the service in the MDR will only, can only, get better in the coming days.

Edited by Flamin_June
fixed spelling mistaks
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Flamin_June said:

Well, to hell with it - this is the blog that keeps on blogging. I am not going to let the impending end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it put me off my stride.

Flamin_June.  Thanks for continuing your blog.  Your writing always brings a smile to my face.  I look forward to the next installment.  In the meantime, your edit (fixed spelling mistaks) had me ROFLMAO.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love your spirit.

My husband and I have decided to treat our social distancing as a bit of a virtual cruise and do some of the things we’d do on Seabourn... play cards, eat three good leisurely meals a day plus a snack or two, sleep in a bit, catch up on recent movies, spend a bit of time in the fresh air, and enjoy leisurely conversations with others (albeit by video chat or text instead of in person).  We are determined to make the best of this.

My mother and I are still booked on what is now supposedly the first sailing When Seabourn resumes its itinerary.  I suspect it won’t be - or at least not in it’s current form - but I could be wrong.  Hubby and I are booked on the holiday Caribbean for Christmas/New Years.  In some form or fashion, I will be back in Seabourn this year.  And next.  Until then I’ll just practice at home!

• Like 2

Somewhere in her scrapbook cookbook A has the recipe for Seabourn's clam chowder, Ross gave it to us years ago on the Legend. We have some clams in the freezer, so it's about time we had a go at making it. Must remember to give A 24 hours notice for this special request.

Will let you know....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As an aside, there was a discussion in our house today led by me, suggesting that I believe that the divorce rate will go through the roof in a few months' time. 

I usually am away from home frequently as I travel a lot for my work. We will both be working from home for the foreseeable...

• Haha 1

Higher divorce rate perhaps. A baby boom in December too ! Happy to see people still in pretty good spirits despite our disappointment. I woke up this morning, and checked the time in Singapore. It would’ve been time for the first dinner out of 42. Now as many of you are doing, enjoying the home life as if on a cruise.
Lucky enough to be living in Florida, only 10 minutes from the beach. If I can’t be on the ocean, I want to be able to look at !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, Isklaar said:

As an aside, there was a discussion in our house today led by me, suggesting that I believe that the divorce rate will go through the roof in a few months' time. 

I usually am away from home frequently as I travel a lot for my work. We will both be working from home for the foreseeable...

I can confirm - since I retired, A, who used to have our home pretty much to herself for most of the week, now has to share it with a grumpy old fusspot. I've no idea how we manage to rub along so well when we go travelling. Not making beds, doing the ironing*, hoovering, working out what to eat tomorrow night, probably helps.

*I really don't mind, in fact quite enjoy, ironing my own shirts (not that it happens often), but what the dickens is one supposed to do with fitted sheets??!!

• Like 1

• The UK Daily Mail - which has  monopoly on truth - has a headline saying that the over 70s are to be forcibly quarantined for four months.  Yes, four months.  I only bought three months of bog rolls and two months of dried pasta.  Help!
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Fletcher said:
  • The UK Daily Mail - which has  monopoly on truth - has a headline saying that the over 70s are to be forcibly quarantined for four months.  Yes, four months.  I only bought three months of bog rolls and two months of dried pasta.  Help!

Me too - Robert Peston (referencing PA - could be Daily Mail source) 

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-14/elderly-to-be-quarantined-for-four-months-in-wartime-style-mobilisation-to-combat-coronavirus/https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-14/elderly-to-be-quarantined-for-four-months-in-wartime-style-mobilisation-to-combat-coronavirus/

11 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

I can confirm - since I retired, A, who used to have our home pretty much to herself for most of the week, now has to share it with a grumpy old fusspot. I've no idea how we manage to rub along so well when we go travelling. Not making beds, doing the ironing*, hoovering, working out what to eat tomorrow night, probably helps.

*I really don't mind, in fact quite enjoy, ironing my own shirts (not that it happens often), but what the dickens is one supposed to do with fitted sheets??!!

Indeed for us, retirement both beckons and looms.

11 hours ago, Fletcher said:

News this morning suggests that this is true. 
It's rather concerning. ,

Lots of older people already feel isolated.

Our neighbours who are in their late 80s have been fiercely independent until health problems during the last year or so. They don't use online grocery delivery services. I'm happy to do their grocery shopping for them, and we could find a way to do so without any physical contact between us, but I'm not sure they would want to accept our help.

On a lighter note, will there be police officers stationed on every street corner demanding to see birth certificates? Many 70 year olds look more like 55 year olds in our area! And vice-versa.

Edited by Isklaar

15 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

I can confirm - since I retired, A, who used to have our home pretty much to herself for most of the week, now has to share it with a grumpy old fusspot.

We are now just past the second year of Mr. SLSD's retirement.  I have to admit.  The first year was quite hard on me.  Evidently, I had not been doing anything right when it came to kitchen organization, grocery shopping, laundry etc.  Mr. SLSD, a lawyer, knew a better way to do most everything.  At the same time, our previously neat home looked messier by the day.  Fortunately, things have calmed down now and we are both happy he is retired.  Now--if only we could go on a cruise! 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2