Non Zodiac Clothing

VegasTW

I recently booked Seabourn for an Antarctica cruise.  I have read a lot about what to pack for the zodiac excursions, but what do people wear between zodiac excursions?  For example, if there are two zodiac excursions per day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, do people stay in their expedition gear all day?   Or do they change into street clothes then change back? 

Many people have advised to wear a thermal layer then a waterproof layer for the zodiac excursions.  Are sweats appropriate to wear over your thermals while on ship, or do I need to change into "resort wear" when on the ship?

Also, Seabourn has a fairly strict dress policy in the evenings - but does this apply to Antarctica cruises as well?

I just feel like I am going to way overpack if I try to accommodate everything from expedition wear to a ball gown!   🙂

Any advice from those of you who have experienced a Seabourn Antarctica cruise would be much appreciated.

I have no specific experience with Seabourn, but during my trips to Antarctica with Hurtigruten, in between landings I would spend most of my time outside on deck so I didn't change clothes that much (just change shoes because we had to store the boots near the zodiac embarkation point, and maybe get off the waterproof pants).  I didn't change clothes either to go to the meals, just left my jackets at the entrance (you never know when a whale is going to pop up!), but Hurtigruten doesn't have a dress code.

I wear the same clothing for all day and evening. Only difference is for the zodiac or landing I put the outer gear and muck boots and gloves on.

At dinner I usually just toss my fleece or parka and camera under my chair - so it is at the ready.

I personally avoid the ships that requiring "dressing for dinner" - people on those trips miss all the good stuff outside because they are too busy pelting back to their cabin to get changed to go outside! By that time the huge pod of whales has already gone.

Oddly enough we have never had any Seabourn trip reports on the Trip Advisor forum so perhaps the passengers are not Trip Advisor kinda folks http://antarcticafaqs.boards.net/board/8/trip-reports-sorted-expedition-company so I can't really help with exactly how much people "dress" posh or whether it is more casual. You could maybe check on their Facbook page - get the thoughts of their past polar passengers https://www.facebook.com/Seabourn/ 

My personal theory is - its my holiday - I will dress how I like - what are they going to do ? Toss me overboard because I wear yoga pants or sweats to dinner!

• Haha 2