Check your flights!

dwlmg

We booked business class with VIking Air.  This was about 125 days prior to departure.  The flights as booked involved Boeing 787-10s.  This aircraft has a 1-2-1 configuration in business class.  Today we checked and they are now using 777-200s for the flight.  These aircraft have a 2-2-2 configuration in business.  We were in center seats on the 787 so we would be together.  We would prefer window.  Well the 777 has 2 by the window.  The change plane process put us in center seats again.  We called and now have a window and aisle on the window side of the aisle.  Not as bad as the last issue with phantom flight changes.  One time we were rebooked on a schedule where our connecting flight stateside left before our over seas flight arrived.  We called and the customer service person did not understand why we had an issue.  Moral - with these early flight bookings, you have to check your reservations now and then.

Bummer we are not on the new aircraft.  The 787-10 has more room and privacy.

Agree with the need to periodically check your flights/schedules. A good TA should be able to keep up on changes  since they work closely with Viking Air. However, they can get busy and may miss a change or not think it’s a big deal. Our cruise last year our departing flight changed  to 3 hours earlier than what we had scheduled due to “equipment change”. At least that’s what the airline told me. I got it sorted out and actually got a better flight. The earlier you book the more need to check IMHO. 

Agree.  I just happened to check our flights for Europe in April and United moved the time of our connecting flight to Berlin up by an hour which gave us only 70 minutes to get through security check & the gate in Brussels.  United didn't care and wouldn't do anything.  Luckily I had booked through Viking Air, talked to them and was rebooked, no charge, to making our connection in Frankfurt instead.

But I will also tell you that even though we were set for our flight to Buenos Aires, United made an equipment change on the day of departure and split up many passengers flying together in business and we got NO ASSISTANCE from United, even at the gate.  We had to rely on the kindness of another business class passenger to switch seats so that my husband & I could sit together.  So even on the day of departure, the airline will make changes & not notify you.

I agree we check our flights at least once a month to see if there are any equipment or flight time changes. Our flights on American in September from San Antonio to Venice through Chicago have changed flight times twice since we booked last November. We are booked in Premium Economy. Actually we have a longer layover in Chicago which is all good incase of any delays from SAT. Our flight coming home from Athens now is leaving 20 minutes later but still gets to Chicago at the original time. I hope AA keeps the same 787-9 aircraft, newer planes with better Premium Economy cabin and seats than the 777. The PE cabin in the 787 has its own dedicated restroom while in the 777 we have to use the coach restrooms in the middle of the coach cabin.

20 hours ago, VJMAZZ said:

Agree with the need to periodically check your flights/schedules. A good TA should be able to keep up on changes  since they work closely with Viking Air. However, they can get busy and may miss a change or not think it’s a big deal. Our cruise last year our departing flight changed  to 3 hours earlier than what we had scheduled due to “equipment change”. At least that’s what the airline told me. I got it sorted out and actually got a better flight. The earlier you book the more need to check IMHO. 

This is one of the reasons I like Cruise Critic ….reminders are very helpful. We all know we should check, but I get busy and need post like these to remind me. 

• Like 1

Viking Air occasionally updates the connections, and connecting points for flights. Even just a few weeks before departure.

On our October Trades Routes voyage, the original routing was Miami - Vienna - Oslo, with Austrian Air and Lufthansa. A few weeks before departure, it was changed to Miami - Frankfurt - Oslo. The Austrian 767 was sitting at an adjacent gate in Miami, and left at the appointed time. Lufthansa operates an Airbus A380.

Since there were about 30 Viking passengers in the group, and Lufthansa controls Austrian Air, I have to believe there was a conversation between Viking and Lufthansa about how to move this group.

Sometimes even checking and having all your ducks in a row doesn't work.  We were flying American from Orlando to Alaska, changing in DFW.  We were business/first using miles.  We were called to the podium, usually good, and told that an equipment change had only us moving to middle seats in the back.  The unfriendly counter rep said we could take it or stay in Dallas and miss our cruise.  We were persistent about alternatives but never raised our voices.  No joy, so to the back of the plane we went.  After takeoff on a 7+ hour flight, we were asked if we wished to purchase lunch!  No, I wanted the Thai chicken salad I pre-ordered but was told it was unavailable.  We were quite late arriving as well.  And I had a dickens of a time getting some of my miles refunded, never getting as many as the difference between what I booked and what I got.  Think I'll be booking with AA again any time soon???

My experiences with American Airlines during 35 years of business travel have been very mixed. A few wonderful experiences, a lot of poor experiences, a lot of pissy staff, but the planes landed in one piece.

The US Air merger brought the second and third levels of Hell into one corporate shell, as far as I'm concerned. So, I avoid it at all costs.

Sadly, equipment changes happen.  Our latest snafu was after boarding the plane. Our boarding passes said row 6.  There was no row 6 or 7.  Crazy?  We had to wait on the plane while they found us seats.  Luckily we were able to get seats.  Of the plane had been full, they probably would have bounced us.  

Good advice.  Yeah, our seats have been changed a few times over the years, sometimes due to equipment change, other times....just because.  Always double and triple check.  I've also been changed as I was boarding...the boarding agent said wait..I have a new seat assignment for you...in the middle seat!!  So even if you check, "bad" things can still happen. In this instance, I protested and they "found" me an aisle seat.