Seabourn Antarctica - Non Zodiac Clothes

VegasTW

I recently booked Seabourn Venture (new ship launching in 2021) for an Antarctica cruise.  I have read a lot about what to pack for the zodiac excursions, but what do people wear between zodiac excursions?  For example, if there are two zodiac excursions per day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, do people stay in their expedition gear all day?   Or do they change into street clothes then change back? 

Many people have advised to wear a thermal layer then a waterproof layer for the zodiac excursions.  Are sweats appropriate to wear over your thermals while on ship, or do I need to change into "resort wear" when on the ship?

Also, Seabourn has a fairly strict dress policy in the evenings - but does this apply to Antarctica cruises as well?

I just feel like I am going to way overpack if I try to accommodate everything from expedition wear to a ball gown!   🙂

Any advice from those of you who have experienced a Seabourn Antarctica cruise would be much appreciated.

We just returned from the Seabourn Quest Antarctica cruise on February 2. I wore my excursion clothing no longer than I had to, it was just too hot for indoor wear. We only had one Zodiac excursion per day, did not do any kayaking. I wore one or two layers of long underwear under Gore-tex rain pants in addition to rented boots and the Seabourn provided jackets. Personally, I would not wear sweat pants anywhere, I would look too much like Captain Sweatpants from the The Big Bang Theory.

I did not pay much attention to what other people wore. Plenty of people looked outdoorsy during the day. I wore slacks and a button down shirt for elegant casual nights and a sport coat and tie for formal nights (or whatever Seabourn calls the dressy nights).

I assume that the Antarctica cruise was more casual than the normal Seabourn cruise. There were very few dinner jackets and gowns, I only remember seeing them on the cruisers who were given awards during a Seabourn Club ceremony.

Well I have not been on the Venture, but I have sailed the Quest to Antarctica, just last year.  

First, do now wear your ball gown in the zodiac.

Now that I have delivered that major piece of advice, I have to say that we were allowed only one zodiac trip per day, so it was easy to change into casual clothes for the rest of the day on board.  All passengers wore relaxed clothes, nothing special, and no dress code during the day.

Yes, Seabourn does have dress-up nights, but the dress code is not very restrictive.  Gowns and tuxes are not required.  I believe that men are expected to wear jackets in the dining room and no jeans for men or women.  If you look good you will be fine.  Don't stress.

Venture is an Expedition ship, and will have a more casual vibe. Their goal will be to have a morning expedition, reposition the ship and then have an afternoon expedition. All weather permitting.  On the Quest one could go on two expeditions a day if one booked a kayak. On those days we changed our bottom layer inbetween trips. I'm not sure how well recieved sweats would be in the Main Dinning Room, but the other restaurants most likely yes.

Ball Gown? I'm sure there will be a few, but I personally wouldn't pack one on an expedition ship.  Maybe on a Holiday sailing, and that is a big maybe. It's easy enough to dress well without one. Besides, those who wear Ball Gowns on cruises often look like they are going to the prom or went to a cheap MOB shop. On the flip side, there will be at least one group that will have three to four costume changes for each day. Similar to something one would see at a Nieman Marcus luncheon.  You will see it all. Seabourn's dress code is quite loose compared to Silversea. I remember being chased by our Silversea butler when Mr. B forgot his jacket on formal night. And, we were going to The Grill. Too funny.

You are going to have a fantastic time. Dressier clothes will quickly find their way to the back of the closet unless you are in the costume changing group. You will wonder why you packed so many. Focus on the layers for expeditions and comfortable casual resort wear for lectures and lunch.

53 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

. Dressier clothes will quickly find their way to the back of the closet unless you are in the costume changing group. 

The costume changing group---I never knew they had a name.  Thank you for making me laugh today.  

Thank you all! This has been super helpful. Haha I don’t even own a ball gown ... a little sarcasm there [emoji12]

I am feeling good about my packing list and am grateful to have a forum community willing to take the time to weigh in.

The Venture looks amazing - I am excited!

PS - Hysterically funny on the costume crowd. Definitely not me or DH - we are just excited to dress appropriately for the cruise and adventure, and see Antarctica!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

We found it was handy to have a jacket or similar handy at all times while on board so that one can go "sight seeing" whales icebergs etc at short notice like while having   dinner etc. Saves having to go back to your cabin to get warmer clothes so you can go onto the outside decks for viewing

We didnt find Antarctica really cold, minus 6 I think on our cruise. We did have a lot of lunches under the heaters around the pool deck wearing the Seabourn supplied jackets as we didnt want to miss the sights. Coldest was going ashore on the zodiacs with the wind chill

Edited by Thecat123

Just now, frantic36 said:

So is the costume changing group include those who prefer to shower and change out of their day clothes because they have been physically active during the day? 

Julie

No. The costume changing group only change costumes for the redcarpet runway on the way to lectures, lunch, observation bar, or dinner. Breakfast is taken in their suite. I am always amazed at how perfectly coifed, styled and spectacular they look. And YES, I will admit to being a tad jealous. They must book spa appointments well in advance.  I met a lovely women years ago on Silversea that had a daily appointment for make up and a blow out. How does one find all that time?  I love all the different groups and enjoy interacting with them.....well amost all of them.

• Like 1

Thanks for your clarification. As you say some of these ladies and gents look very good and they are also lovely people.

I was just curious because I do like to hike and kayak during the day and I find it fun to dress up at night as a contrast. But that's just me, others can do what they want. I admit to having and needing a late afternoon sleep to be able to enjoy the evening.

Julie

Just now, frantic36 said:

Thanks for your clarification. As you say some of these ladies and gents look very good and they are also lovely people.

I was just curious because I do like to hike and kayak during the day and I find it fun to dress up at night as a contrast. But that's just me, others can do what they want. I admit to having and needing a late afternoon sleep to be able to enjoy the evening.

Julie

Ditto! After a big day of touring, hiking, kayaking, I too need a late afternoon chill. Hence no time to visit the spa! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Julie

And I change for tea, and again for dinner.  I am just laughing at the term used to described the well dressed!

On 2/17/2020 at 10:47 AM, highplanesdrifters said:

Venture is an Expedition ship, and will have a more casual vibe... Seabourn's dress code is quite loose compared to Silversea. I remember being chased by our Silversea butler when Mr. B forgot his jacket on formal night.

We've only been on Silversea on one of their expedition ships, on a Greenland cruise two years ago. We found it not formal at all, and every bit as casual as Seabourn. Next year we're going to Antarctica on Silversea based on that experience. (I really wanted it to be on the Seabourn Venture, but Seabourn had itineraries encompassing South Georgia Island which were too long for us, and the prices for the new ship were considerably higher.)