Cruise Critic Community
ahonaker

MSC Ocean Cay Cancelations

Just to clarify, the 20% credit was given as a result of Ocean Cay not being ready when anticipated. The person who started this topic/thread is asking about Ships that did not get into Ocean Cay due to weather after it officially opened in December. 

5 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

Because the channel to dock is narrow that definitely is causing some problems for the bigger ships.

My opinion:  the channel looks plenty wide.  The problem is that the channel is totally open to the ocean.  Not sure how they could do it, now or in the future, but building a breakwater to shield the channel from the open ocean might help reduce the possibility of not being able to dock.

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My opinion:  the channel looks plenty wide.  The problem is that the channel is totally open to the ocean.  Not sure how they could do it, now or in the future, but building a breakwater to shield the channel from the open ocean might help reduce the possibility of not being able to dock.

The channel may appear wide sailing in and out but the ships need to turn around or at least the Meraviglia, which is 315.3m (1036 ft) long and 43m (141 ft) wide, did.  We watched that maneuver from our balcony and I'm not sure the channel was much wider than the length of the ship.  It certainly looked like the bow was extremely close to the dock as the ship turned and that was on a day with minimal wind.

16 hours ago, capriccio said:

The channel may appear wide sailing in and out but the ships need to turn around or at least the Meraviglia, which is 315.3m (1036 ft) long and 43m (141 ft) wide, did.  We watched that maneuver from our balcony and I'm not sure the channel was much wider than the length of the ship.  It certainly looked like the bow was extremely close to the dock as the ship turned and that was on a day with minimal wind.

I didn't see us dock.  I must not be as early of a riser as you!