NCL Platinum Plus - considering MSC Divina Aurea Experience

welove2cruise*

I am intrigued by an itinerary I found and have always thought about trying MSC.  If we have the Aurea experience I understand we can eat at the time we decide at a table for 2.  Is there typically a wait for this or because so many have assigned is it not as difficult to be seated?  Also, are there specialty restaurants onboard that you have an upcharge for and/or would any of those be included in the Aurea package? We are spoiled a bit with our latitudes perks (two dinners a week at specialty) and we do enjoy the variety of restaurants on NCL, but this is an itinerary in the Med so we will not be spending a whole lot of time on the ship and I like the itinerary.

I am just trying to get more information to make a decision (always hard with something new)  😉

I also think I read that with the Aurea you have a special embarkation lunch in a dining room.  Can anyone who sailed the Divina confirm that?  Does MSC have any dining rooms open for lunch on a sea day or otherwise?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Specialty restaurant wise the Divina is not like most NCL ships, newer MSC ships have more specialty restaurants like NCL.  The specialty restaurants are extra charge for all experience levels, even Yacht Club.  Divina now only has Butcher's, cut which is comparable to Cagney's, and Kaito sushi, which is closest to the old Ginza sushi NCL used to have.  You can status match on MSC to their Diamond level which will get you one meal for two people, only one meal per cabin no matter how many are Diamond level people are in the cabin.  The free meal, and also if you purchase a dining package, gets a "tasting menu" that is somewhat limited.  You can order off the a' la carte side of the menu for 50% off.  Pay as you go a' la carte is priced high like on NCL. 

Aurea experience gets to eat in a special section of the lower Black Crab MDR.  Most of the normal tables for two are very close and in a long row and you can show up any time and get a table, I've never seen a wait.  However if you speak with the maitre d' at he beginning of the cruise you may be able to secure a better table by committing to a semi-set time and get the same wait team every night.  I've fond this arrangement preferable.  Before moving to MSC I had many NCL "freestyle" sailings and was concerned about MSC's set times for lower experiences.  I've found it really doesn't make that much difference to me.  It's not well known, in fact crew usually don't know, that they keep the same section of the Black Crab MDR set up for Aurea embarkation lunch so you don't have to fight the crowds in the buffet.  At least one MDR will be open for lunch on sea days, the menu doesn't change and they fill tables as people arrive.  Aurea embarkation lunch is a different menu and much better.

All MSC ships are kept in overall very good condition, Divina is showing it's age in areas like cabin furnishings and decor and is scheduled for dry dock late November, 2020.  The newer ships have more bells & whistles type activities and are closer to the newer ship NCL experience, Divina is a bit more subdued.  I have always found the overall ship experience enjoyable but now after four sailings I would only sail this ship if it had a very good itinerary.

Haven't looked in a while so just went over to the MSC status match table thread and saw there are reports that NCL Platinum and Platinum Plus are now matching to MSC Gold - so no free specialty dining meal.  Wow, glad I matched a while ago.

• Like 1

I did my match program in 2016 and was given Black/Diamond status at that time.  I am hoping they will correct mine based on that as we did end up booking this Divina cruise.  I like the itinerary and it allows us to spend extra time in Sorrento after the cruise at an airbnb.  I have actually found that I love the apartment experience in Italy as much if not more than cruising sometimes but it is a really nice thing when we can combine them. I actually think I will prefer the subdued as we are not party people.  Ready to give it a try.  🙂  I'm hoping I really like it as I am bored with NCL's itineraries - and would like to try a newer MSC ship in the Caribbean next. 

8 hours ago, welove2cruise* said:

I did my match program in 2016 and was given Black/Diamond status at that time.  I am hoping they will correct mine based on that as we did end up booking this Divina cruise.  I like the itinerary and it allows us to spend extra time in Sorrento after the cruise at an airbnb.  I have actually found that I love the apartment experience in Italy as much if not more than cruising sometimes but it is a really nice thing when we can combine them. I actually think I will prefer the subdued as we are not party people.  Ready to give it a try.  🙂  I'm hoping I really like it as I am bored with NCL's itineraries - and would like to try a newer MSC ship in the Caribbean next. 

Please be aware that if you status matched in 2016 and have not cruised with MSC, your status is only good for 3 years. You must complete a cruise every three years to maintain Black/ Diamond level.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:55 AM, welove2cruise* said:

I did my match program in 2016 and was given Black/Diamond status at that time.  I am hoping they will correct mine based on that as we did end up booking this Divina cruise. 

What does MSC need to correct?  That you do not have Diamond/Black status?  If this is the case, like others have mentioned, you have to cruise at least once every 3 years on MSC to retain the status.  If you have not cruised with MSC since 2016, then unfortunately your status match is gone.  

On 2/18/2020 at 8:10 AM, emmas gran said:

Sorry to make this point but friends only got Gold Member when joining Voyager Club even with Elite Plus on Celebrity. Diamond is not guaranteed 

I just matched NCL Platinum Plus with MSC....only Gold for me! I was told that they no longer match to Black/Diamond....I need to earn that last step.

4 hours ago, NayRN said:

I just matched NCL Platinum Plus with MSC....only Gold for me! I was told that they no longer match to Black/Diamond....I need to earn that last step.

I also noticed that the status match program changed . We are NCL Platinum Plus with 365  points. Not sure if MSC looks at point total.

Also, many who attained Black, over many years of cruising MSC ,were upset with the status match levels given out in 2018. Understandable. We are very happy with our experiences on MSC and looking forward to our next cruise in June to Iceland.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phissy said:

I also noticed that the status match program changed . We are NCL Platinum Plus with 365  points. Not sure if MSC looks at point total.

Also, many who attained Black, over many years of cruising MSC ,were upset with the status match levels given out in 2018. Understandable. We are very happy with our experiences on MSC and looking forward to our next cruise in June to Iceland.

I'm just happy that MSC matched anything at all! My first sailing with MSC will be in August...and it just may not be my last! 

Gold will be fine.  I am glad for the match (just wish I hadn't lost the Black status - I did not know it would expire).  The only benefit I see would have been the one restaurant but we are going to be on a very port intensive cruise and eating local cuisine in Italy/Spain so dinner will be fine whatever they serve. 

I think with Aurea we also get a priorty embarkation area if I read that correct?  I know we have a special place for lunch which I am looking forward to. 

You will love the pizza they make onboard.  We were on the Meraviglia , doing Spain, France, Italy and Malta.  We thought the food onboard was good. Also, they made fresh mozzarella every day. Window to watch the whole process.  Even though we were in YC, we went to buffet for lunch to have The pizza.

Edited by phissy

1 hour ago, phissy said:

You will love the pizza they make onboard.  We were on the Meraviglia , doing Spain, France, Italy and Malta.  We thought the food onboard was good. Also, they made fresh mozzarella every day. Window to watch the whole process.  Even though we were in YC, we went to buffet for lunch to have The pizza.

That sounds great. Caprese is one of our favorites so love the idea of fresh mozzarella! 

• Like 1