Cape Town Hotel

teacherman

Can someone recommend a good hotel in Cape Town that we can use for about 6 total nights (pre and post cruise).  Good area with walking access to restaurants and "safe".  We have never been to S Africa.  Any information/advice is welcome.  I have looked on Trip Adviser but I seem to find them either very costly or having very mixed reviews.

2 hours ago, teacherman said:

Can someone recommend a good hotel in Cape Town that we can use for about 6 total nights (pre and post cruise).  Good area with walking access to restaurants and "safe".  We have never been to S Africa.  Any information/advice is welcome.  I have looked on Trip Adviser but I seem to find them either very costly or having very mixed reviews.

I'm also looking for a hotel to stay at post cruise.  Hoping to get some recommendations.

Hello Teacherman and BSR,

My husband and I stayed at the Pepper Club this past January. It was not far from the port or the airport and they had a free shuttle that took you to V and A Waterfront. It was one block away from Long Street with many restaurants. it was also a 5 minute walk to the HOHO main office. We loved the hotel and felt very safe walking around in the daytime and early evening. You have to keep in mind that it is a big city so use caution. We did not walk around at night. The hotel staff were friendly, helpful, and very professional.

1 hour ago, irisbax3 said:

Hello Teacherman and BSR,

My husband and I stayed at the Pepper Club this past January. It was not far from the port or the airport and they had a free shuttle that took you to V and A Waterfront. It was one block away from Long Street with many restaurants. it was also a 5 minute walk to the HOHO main office. We loved the hotel and felt very safe walking around in the daytime and early evening. You have to keep in mind that it is a big city so use caution. We did not walk around at night. The hotel staff were friendly, helpful, and very professional.

Thanks.  I will look up the hotel.

• 1 year later...

In 2019 as part of a Botswana-South Africa trip, we spend four nights at the Victoria and Alfred Hotel on the waterfront.  An excellent hotel with a great breakfast.  It is walking distance to the Robben Island ferry.  We never felt unsafe in the evening.  There are dozens of excellent restaurants and lots of shopping.  Who knows what it will be like for post-Covid traveling.  If I were returning to SA next year I would check out the Victoria and Alfred.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Love, love, loved Table Bay Hotel. Great location on V & A wharf, near shopping, restaurants. Across the street is the waterfront with beautiful sunsets, etc. We had high tea which was a great experience and very "English". The morning breakfast was really lovely with many choices and attentive servers. 

We wandered all around the waterfront and felt very safe. (Use common sense) There were African dancers, food courts and fancy restaurants. More ostrich eggs than you could shake a stick at. Great place for souvenir shopping as well. 418663950_capetownturndown_hq.JPG.b0824faa0d2f2597fc99991a12e852c2.JPG

table bay hotel.jpg

table bay tea.jpg

On 2/18/2020 at 8:37 AM, teacherman said:

The South Africans we met were friendly and very helpful. Since everyone speaks English, at least has a secondary language, it is very easy to communicate.  Capetown is a very urban area, so there are some areas you do not want to go in without advice of hotel or guide staff. But there are tours that leave from the hotel that go to the Cape of Good Hope, the wine country,  Robbens Island. We saw many animals on our way to the Cape, very beautiful country and beautiful city.  I hope you get to cruise.

Edited by mtnlvr53

• 2 years later...
On 2/27/2021 at 9:56 AM, WisRiver said:

In 2019 as part of a Botswana-South Africa trip, we spend four nights at the Victoria and Alfred Hotel on the waterfront.  An excellent hotel with a great breakfast.  It is walking distance to the Robben Island ferry.  We never felt unsafe in the evening.  There are dozens of excellent restaurants and lots of shopping.  Who knows what it will be like for post-Covid traveling.  If I were returning to SA next year I would check out the Victoria and Alfred.

Albert