Star Breeze re-deployed Fall 2020 due to Coronavirus

Misty Morning

Looks like that according to most recent Coronavirus update from Windstar, not only will they monitor the temperature of incoming guests but they have decided to not deploy the Star Breeze to Asia from Aug 25th to November 29th 2020. Wow after cancelling cruises due to asbestos issues, now they have to re-route the Star Breeze for 3 months.  Ouch, not a good year for Windstar

Here is the memo posted on their website. 

FAQs: Novel Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Is Windstar currently sailing in any areas with confirmed cases of coronavirus?

No. We are currently not sailing to any areas with reported cases. Is Windstar making any changes to deployment as a result of coronavirus? Windstar Cruises will cancel the Star Breeze’s 2020 Asia program. We regret the inconvenience to booked guests on these sailings which were scheduled to depart August 25 through November 29, 2020. Our team is working on communicating this change and alternatives to our guests and travel advisor partners.

New sailings for the Star Breeze during this same time period will be announced soon. We are not making any changes to our spring 2021 Asia deployment at this time.

What are Coronaviruses?

Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that usually cause respiratory illness. A new (novel) CoV was identified in Wuhan, China, in December 2019 and is called 2019-nCoV. What is the current situation? The new coronavirus is causing an outbreak of illness in the city of Wuhan, China. Additional cases have been confirmed in other countries including the United States. The situation remains fluid. Stay up to date by visiting the Centers for Disease Control’s website.

What are the symptoms of 2019-nCoV

Signs of infection may include respiratory symptoms, such as fever or feverishness, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties.

How is the virus transmitted?

Health authorities say it can be passed from one person to another through close contact, such as caring for or living with an ill person.

How can I minimize the risk of catching or spreading a respiratory illness?

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses: • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the restroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. • If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty. • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands. • Avoid close contact with people who are sick, including sharing cups or eating utensils. • Stay home when you are sick. • Cover your cough or sneeze: cough or sneeze into your elbow, or cover with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.

What are the treatments?

There is no specific antiviral treatment recommended for the new coronavirus infection. Individuals with respiratory infections should seek medical care to help relieve symptoms.

Is the new Coronavirus the same as SARS or MERS viruses?

It is a similar type but not the same virus that caused SARS or MERS.

What is the preventive action Windstar has taken?

Along with other Cruise Lines International Association member cruise lines, Windstar Cruises now requires each guest and crew member to fill out a health questionnaire specific to coronavirus prior to boarding the ship and undergo a no touch thermal scan to screen for fever. Anyone with a fever (≥38 C°/100.4 F°) will not be allowed to board the ship. The sanitation levels on all ships are being elevated. Guests or crew who have been in or travelled from or through China, Hong Kong or Macau in the 30 days prior to embarkation are not being allowed to board the vessel. Guests who within 30 days before embarkation have had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having Coronavirus, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to Coronavirus, are not being allowed to board the vessel. Additionally, all crew travel through mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau has been suspended. If you experience any symptoms of illness while on board, please stay in your cabin and contact the Medical Center. Medical visitation fees are currently waived on board Windstar Cruises’ ships for guests presenting with symptoms of the coronavirus. If you develop symptoms after leaving the ship, see a doctor right away. 2/12/2020e

Wow...thanks for posting as I had not seen this. We are on the Star Breeze June 9 from PV to San Diego (we live here) and the date didnt really work for us but we went ahead and rebooked anyway since its our homeport. I wonder if they'll bring her back down the west coast again from Alaska. If they do I'd definitely move my June cruise.

2 minutes ago, minidonuts85 said:

Wow...thanks for posting as I had not seen this. We are on the Star Breeze June 9 from PV to San Diego (we live here) and the date didnt really work for us but we went ahead and rebooked anyway since its our homeport. I wonder if they'll bring her back down the west coast again from Alaska. If they do I'd definitely move my June cruise.

Star Breeze will now have an extended season in 2020 Alaska and then the ship will sail south along the West Coast of the United States, followed by a transit to French Polynesia (Tahiti) and then the ship will enter its normal scheduled 2020 Australia / New Zealand inaugural season. The new itineraries are in the process of being deployed, and we will update our website as soon as the new itineraries are available.

23 minutes ago, ridethetide said:

Star Breeze will now have an extended season in 2020 Alaska and then the ship will sail south along the West Coast of the United States, followed by a transit to French Polynesia (Tahiti) and then the ship will enter its normal scheduled 2020 Australia / New Zealand inaugural season. The new itineraries are in the process of being deployed, and we will update our website as soon as the new itineraries are available.

And there it is, thank you! 🙂

2 hours ago, milepig said:

Seems like total overkill to me. This is months away, and Coronavirus will be old news by then.

I thought the same until I thought about how much Princess must be losing over this whole thing.  This cancelation is going to be pain in the butt for us but I understand their reasons.

I understand completely. After spending all that money on cutting the ship in half and totally renovating her they don't want to risk contaminating her. Do you know anyone who will ever book another cruise on the diamond Princess?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wripro said:

Do you know anyone who will ever book another cruise on the diamond Princess?

I can't see how that would be a problem. 

What I find interesting is Princess has a cruise that's very similar to our transpacific that was canceled and on the same dates. It starts in Vancouver and ends in Tokyo. We could keep most of our reservations. I'd be tempted but it's Princess not Windstar. 

1 hour ago, wripro said:

I understand completely. After spending all that money on cutting the ship in half and totally renovating her they don't want to risk contaminating her. Do you know anyone who will ever book another cruise on the diamond Princess?

Doesn't the same need to avoid contamination of ships apply to every single cruise ship in the world? The Breeze has been nowhere near asia, and wasn't planned to be for many months.

I do get that the issue is customer behaviour, and people are making reservations even as we speak and many are likely avoiding asia, so they're doing this in anticipation of light loads. I'm now wondering about our booking in Japan in March 2021 and how long I dare delay booking air travel.

2 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

The State Department just today is recommending that people reconsider cruising in Asia. I think it’s a good move by Windstar.

I'd like to read that advisory. Where can I find it? It doesn't appear to be on the state department website.

Edit: Never mind, I found it. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

Edited by patty1955

I follow “US Department of State: Consular Affairs” on Facebook, if you’re on it.  They regularly post several times a day there with updates, cautions and warnings around the world. I don’t know if they’re on any other social media.

I have always respected WS's decisions about safety even if interferes with plans whether it is the swim platform down due to the seas or not getting into a port. I think they  are wise on this and making an ahead of pack decision. Absolutely  it is economic  but I have always found safety first with them.