Anyone else considering not cruising/traveling for the time being? ?

Crusinsusan2

We are truly at a 50/50 over dinner as to whether to book the next adventure or stay put at home while the current Corona situation is sussed out and until we can see how the situation unfolds. I am not asking about a specific ship, itinerary or area just wondering if any of my fellow HAL travelers are feeling our same "pause" dilemma about cruising and traveling internationally at all right now. We have traveled every quarter by cruise and land for the last 20 years and are without any medical issues/medications yet this is the first time we ever have really taken a real true pause in planning even with insurance. Just curious for those not currently booked what your thoughts are?             

We’re keeping our plans as they are. Cruising in 10 days (not in Asia though) and planning future travel. I expect it will all blow over soon enough (like SARS and H1N1). Earlier this week, researchers in Belgium announced they believe an already-existing treatment against malaria is effective against Covid-19.

• Like 3

We are watchful.  My next vacation is land based and northern Europe so I think there is no concern.  I have noted the news where some locations are turning ships away or denying debarking for any viral outbreak.  My next long cruise is in the fall so I have plenty of time to watch.  I am usually not diligent in my vaccinations but this fall I will be taking the whole slate including MMR.

I will not be changing my plans.  I think that people need to be a little cautious, but at the same time not let fear dictate their life.  I would definitely hesitate to cruise to Asia at the moment, but I do have a Caribbean cruise coming up in a few weeks (actually my first non HAL cruise - will be on the Celebrity Equinox) and I have another HAL one booked for next year to the Baltic region.  I’m of the “if something is meant to happen it’s going to happen so I may as well enjoy my life” camp.  

• Like 3

No plans to change any travel plans here, but we are aware of basic sanitation practices and are always on guard for poor sanitation practices by others when traveling.  The basics:

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.  Resanitize after you go through the buffet line and touch ladle handles, the bottom of your chair when you pull it in, and any condiment containers.  DO NOT lay your silverware directly on the table - the table may have been sneezed on and then wiped down with a used cloth napkin (seen it done).  Be suspicious of any food worker wearing plastic gloves - they  work well to keep the person's hands clean and are even more effective in spreading germs from one surface to another.  Sit for a bit and observe all of the surfaces a person wearing those gloves touches as well as your food. 

Essentially, break the chain between the dirty world out there and what you put in your mouth.

• Like 5

Other than a booking for later this year, we have no other plans to cruise for the time being. Although we are relatively new to this type of travel - as compared to some of the veteran cruisers here on CC - we feel that as we have now visited most of the warm weather destinations at least once, perhaps the time has come to consider other vacation modes for the foreseeable future.

We are not so much concerned about our personal health but the thought of being held virtually hostage in situations that are beyond our control has definitely given us pause...

• Like 2

No changes.  Wouldn't plan a trip to Asia at the moment. 

Figure the flu at home is more dangerous and far more likely than the Coronavirus.

Leave for the Caribbean in two days, Scotland in two months and South America in November.

No worries.

• Like 4

We got off a Caribbean cruise two weeks ago and have no plans for the immediate future.  That’s not at all driven by the Coronavirus outbreak.   Mrs K is in postgraduate school and our last cruise just happened to hit during a course break so it worked out.  Hard to see the future course calendar right now and we know she has a substantial research/thesis paper requirement so we’re just holding off making major vacation plans.   We do have a bucket list cruise to the Baltic in mind but strictly in research and the daydreaming stage right now.  

We are leaving on Saturday for a trip to Australia and then to Auckland,, NZ to board a cruise ship for a 34 day cruise round the South Pacific islands, up to the Hawaiian islands and finishing in San Diego.  We booked early this year for a river cruise in China and followed by an ocean cruise in Japan at the end of the August,  I called the TA and they said they had not received any notice that this would be cancelled.  I think by that time the virus may have run its course, but I'm an optimist.  Very little could stop us from travelling.

• Like 1

I believe it to be much more likely for me to pick up the flu from some inconsiderate coworker who brings it to the office (when we can all work from home) & have it develop into pneumonia and kill me than it is that I would contract this coronavirus.

I used to ALWAYS be sick by the time I disembarked.  That hasn't happened in several years (hope I didn't just jinx myself!).  I'm not a germaphobe, but I'm very diligent about handwashing when I travel.  I use hand sanitizer as well but know that it is to be used as a supplement NOT a substitute for proper handwashing.

The infection is ongoing in China and the countries closest to her. WHO reported for Feb 19th, a spurt of local infections in Japan, ROK and Singapore. That is, the disease is being transmitted locally.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200219-sitrep-30-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=6e50645_6

The good news is that the emergency measures in Hubei is paying off. The number of new patients is relatively small. Still, Hubei has a confirmed rate of 0.1% 

In Europe and the Americas, no reported cases of local infection. In fact, no new cases reported for the day.

I am happy to hear the positive replies about future travel plans on this thread.  I don’t want to live my life in fear of what most probably is an unlikely event.  We have friends that were to leave on a cruise this week which included Japan, but that was cancelled.  I’m relieved for them that they did not get caught up in most recent cruise ship problems.  Final payment for our next cruise in Sept is not until June.  I’m relieved for us that the decision does not have to be made right now.  I do wonder if there has been an over reaction in the world, as influenza is much deadlier and more widespread.  In our area, Asian restaurants have been hit hard, which seems absolutely crazy to me.  It’s an unwarranted fear reaction for sure!  For now, will keep traveling, wash our hands diligently, get our annual flu shots, and be grateful for each day of health.  

• Like 1

I wouldn’t plan a trip to Asia, and probably not to Australia/NZ this year, though if I already had them booked I wouldn’t cancel yet. I was on the canceled Feb 29 Westerdam cruise, and actually considered a Panama Canal cruise as a replacement! So I’m not rejecting cruises as a whole. Though if things get bad I may rethink that. I have a Mediterranean/Middle East cruise scheduled on a different line at the end of the year, and am eager to go! 🙂

7 minutes ago, Bkmat said:

I’m relieved for us that the decision does not have to be made right now.  I do wonder if there has been an over reaction in the world, as influenza is much deadlier and more widespread.  

I wonder why the governments enacted emergency measures? Is it possible that the disease has been contained by the quarantines and laboratory testing?

The corona virus would have to be much more widespread for me to consider not cruising at all. If it were, then I might not be traveling at all, since I would still be running into people who could be spreading the disease. 
I can't waste the time I have left to travel to give it up unless there is a very serious situation that prevents me from going. That situation doesn't have to be limited to illness, either. Life is full of challenges; this virus is just another one of them. 

• Like 16

More chance of getting "Cruise Crud" or "regular flu" than Coronavirus.  That being said we ALWAYS avoid the movie theater on the ships (where the sick congregate it seems) and take end seats in the forward theater so we can leave if we see sneezes, coughs, etc. near us. (Same reason we pretty much eat in the Lido where we can choose our seat partners.)

• Like 2