Coronavirus

Getting quite worrying now.  Was watching Al Jazeera news earlier today. Lots of new cases in the Middle East now as well as Italy. 

Quarantine measures on the Diamond Princess don't seem to have worked either. Four passengers who arrived back in the UK have now tested positive.

2 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Just a thought it may be, not so far off, that we may have to be tested and have clearance to travel before we travel. Can't see countries accepting ships that are not clear particularly as its now in northern Italy. 

I don't think that would be practical. the test is not 100% accurate and as I understand it if you are infected but the number of virus in your system is low (viral load) it will not register on the test. A few days later the viral load may have increased and the test would be positive.

In my case I have 3 weeks before the balance on my Norway cruise is due. I will make a decision then about cancelling.

Another question is are you more likely to be infected on a cruise ship or going to the shopping mall? Obviously if containment has proved ineffective, and the government recommend self quarantine, travel restrictions etc then cancel?

Just monitor the reports and try to filter out the alarmist ones, difficult to do I know.

25 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I don't think that would be practical. the test is not 100% accurate and as I understand it if you are infected but the number of virus in your system is low (viral load) it will not register on the test. A few days later the viral load may have increased and the test would be positive.

In my case I have 3 weeks before the balance on my Norway cruise is due. I will make a decision then about cancelling.

Another question is are you more likely to be infected on a cruise ship or going to the shopping mall? Obviously if containment has proved ineffective, and the government recommend self quarantine, travel restrictions etc then cancel?

Just monitor the reports and try to filter out the alarmist ones, difficult to do I know.

Sounds like you are on the same cruise as us, 6th June 🙄 

9 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

That's the one let's hope we make it🤞Have checked our insurance and we are covered if a pandemic is declared. 

Hi P.C

we are due to fly out to Barbados end of the month to pick up a U.S.cruise ship we haven,t heard anything yet but must look at our insurance for pandemics ect.

35 minutes ago, so,ton saint said:

Hi P.C

we are due to fly out to Barbados end of the month to pick up a U.S.cruise ship we haven,t heard anything yet but must look at our insurance for pandemics ect.

Hi Howard as you known we are normally in the Caribbean now but giving it a miss for a while. 

Which line are you going on think you will be OK as that area appears to be working as normal.🤞 Good luck anyway and hope you both have a good one, presumably you are doing cruise and stay 😎

1 minute ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Hi Howard as you known we are normally in the Caribbean now but giving it a miss for a while. 

Which line are you going on think you will be OK as that area appears to be working as normal.🤞 Good luck anyway and hope you both have a good one, presumably you are doing cruise and stay 😎

Hello mate

giving Virgin a try on the Carnival Fascination and a stay in Barbados,   have booked sunshine states and sands for June 2021 from Port Canaveral on Discovery doing a B.to B. so hopefully god willing , good health and lets get rid of this nasty epidemic that is circulating around the world take care

P.S C,mon the Villa for Wembly.

• Like 1

Just checked my Natwest Insurance. It provides cover for natural disasters and medical epidemics and pandemics. however you must follow the government advice and will only cover holidays booked BEFORE any FCO advice against 'all travel' or 'all but essential travel' So I am covered for my next three cruises.

It might be a good idea to book next summers cruise before the FCO react to the situation going pear shaped.

This is the travel advisory update on the government website this morning

Returning travellers
Based on the scientific advice of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) the UK Chief Medical Officers are advising anyone who has travelled to the UK from mainland China, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau in the last 14 days and is experiencing cough or fever or shortness of breath, to stay indoors and call NHS 111, even if symptoms are mild.

We are carrying out enhanced monitoring of direct flights from these areas. Passengers will be told how to report any symptoms they develop during the flight, at the time of arrival, or after leaving the airport.

These areas have been identified because of the volume of air travel from affected areas, understanding of other travel routes and number of reported cases. This list will be kept under review.

_________
If you have returned from these specific areas since February 19th, you should call NHS111 and stay indoors and avoid contact with other people even if you do not have symptoms:
Iran
Specific lockdown areas in Northern Italy as designated by the Government of Italy
Special care zones in South Korea as designated by the Government of the Republic of South Korea
Hubei province (returned in the past 14 days)

If you have returned from these areas since February 19th and develop symptoms, however mild, you should stay indoors at home and avoid contact with other people immediately and call NHS111. You do not need to follow this advice if you have no symptoms.
Northern Italy (defined by a line above, and not including, Pisa, Florence and Rimini),
Vietnam
Cambodia
Laos
Myanmar

This will be impacting on Discoveries Asian cruises ?

We are going to South America and the Caribbean in April so my fingers are firmly crossed this doesn't become an issue. I've briefly scanned my insurance document and can see no mention of pandemics and cancellations due to FO advice. In what section would one normally find this?

On 2/24/2020 at 8:51 AM, Pensioncruiser said:

Yes it does Dave, it's the Nationwide policy. It also covers if the the Government recommends no travel in an area. 

Thanks for that. That's a relief!  I had a look yesterday and didn't spot it.  I'll have  better look now!  

I do hope the whole UK isn't put into lockdown

Those Chinese have a lot to answer for and the first thing they should do is shut down all the exotic animal markets - 🦏 🐅🐒🐨🦇🐢🐪 And completely stupid thinking that keratine has magical powers they should bite their nails instead 

6 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

I do hope the whole UK isn't put into lockdown

Those Chinese have a lot to answer for and the first thing they should do is shut down all the exotic animal markets - 🦏 🐅🐒🐨🦇🐢🐪 And completely stupid thinking that keratine has magical powers they should bite their nails instead 

What? You mean you haven't got exotic animal markets in Huddersfield?

• Like 1