Coronavirus

2 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

On ours it's under cancellation and states epidemic or pandemic but cannot be claimed prior to 28days of travel 👍

Thanks. 🙂  Found it!  It's reassuring to know you have good insurance cover though of course we all hope not to have to use it.  It's getting quite serious now though and difficult to imagine how it's all going to impact on travel in general and our cruises in particular.  Fingers crossed the situation improves soon and everyone stays well!  

23 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Thanks. 🙂  Found it!  It's reassuring to know you have good insurance cover though of course we all hope not to have to use it.  It's getting quite serious now though and difficult to imagine how it's all going to impact on travel in general and our cruises in particular.  Fingers crossed the situation improves soon and everyone stays well!  

Think I maybe check with our insurance before I pay the balance 🤔 just to be on the safe side. 

I just checked my annual insurance policy and it specifically does not cover me for cancellation due to government advice not to travel. Apparently, I should have purchased the travel interruption upgrade! I asked to add it on now, but they said it could only be purchased at the time of buying the policy. So I have bitten the bullet and yesterday have purchased a second annual policy and have included the travel disruption section and this does cover cancellation if government advises not to travel. We have 4 holidays this year including our cruise from Italy in May with Marella. Paying an extra £100 for a second policy therefore seems prudent, if somewhat annoying! 

For cruises from ports in the UK there is less worry about being trapped on the ship, after all, in the worst case the ship can sail back to the UK and the authorities here can handle the situation.

I have a cruise booked departing from the UK in June from Newcastle but the following dated yesterday is worrying

To help us ensure the health and safety of our guests and crew, Marella Cruises will deny boarding at vessel check-in to anyone who is unable to complete the following screening:

• I have not experienced vomiting or diarrhoea within the past 48 hours
  • I have not had any of the following symptoms – fever (38⁰c or higher), feel feverish, or have chills, a cough, cold, sore throat, runny nose or difficulty breathing
  • Travelled from, visited or transited, in China including Hong Kong and Macau in the last 28 days
  • Had close contact with, or helped care for anyone suspected or diagnosed as having Covoid 19 (Coronavirus) in the last 28 days
  • Had close contact with, or helped care for anyone who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure of 19 (Coronavirus) in the last 28 days

The second point is the worrying one. Lots of cruisers will have those symptoms. before COVID19 if you answered yes you would be further screened. Now it appears you will be denied boarding, that's it, bye bye, no cruise

I have to pay the balance in about 3 weeks. It looks increasingly like the best option is to cancel as age and medical issues put me in the at risk group, heck my nose runs at the drop of a hat and I frequently display coughs and sneezes.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

I have to pay the balance in about 3 weeks. It looks increasingly like the best option is to cancel as age and medical issues put me in the at risk group, heck my nose runs at the drop of a hat and I frequently display coughs and sneezes.

You're in a fortunate position, insofar that you've only paid a deposit. Clearly Marella would love you to pay the balance.

You have only one choice. Phone Marella, briefly mention possible health issues and ask who you can write to for confirmation of approval to travel. You need something in writing, between now and the next 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, helengp said:

a second annual policy and have included the travel disruption section and this does cover cancellation if government advises

I was on Explorer last month for the canaries cruise and boarded fit and well, After two days onboard I had a severe cough and sore throat and it seemed that nearly everyone on the flight home had likewise I think it is called cruise cough.

We are due to go on the Dream in three weeks and I still have a slight cough. The balance is paid what happens now.

2 minutes ago, Brummijam said:

I was on Explorer last month for the canaries cruise and boarded fit and well, After two days onboard I had a severe cough and sore throat and it seemed that nearly everyone on the flight home had likewise I think it is called cruise cough.

We are due to go on the Dream in three weeks and I still have a slight cough. The balance is paid what happens now.

If you are denied boarding due to health issues your insurance should cover you if you have the correct policy, good idea to put the point to your insurance provider for clarification. 

If Marella, or any company, cancel your holiday they will be in breach of contract and will either refund you or offer a suitable alternative. I'm not sure what would happen if the FCO advise against travel to a certain area (and hence effectively invalidate your insurance) but Marella don't cancel the holiday. That's when you need to check that you can cancel and make a claim.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

have to pay the balance in about 3 weeks. It looks increasingly like the best option is to cancel as age and medical issues put me in the at risk group, heck my nose runs at the drop of a hat and I frequently display coughs and sneezes.

Dave I think you have similar insurance to us so check with them how you stand I certainly will. 

6 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

If you are denied boarding due to health issues your insurance should cover you if you have the correct policy, good idea to put the point to your insurance provider for clarification. 

If you are denied boarding I would have thought that the travel company would be obliged to refund as they are not fulfilling their side of the bargain. Or is there some small print in the contract somewhere?

5 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

This is not correct on all policies I have checked with ours. 

Really? I am sure you are right but I'm surprised that some insurance policies cover you for travelling to places where the FCO advise not to. To be honest, it's not something I tend to think about when booking insurance for a Mediterranean cruise as I never think it will be an issue. That has obviously now changed!

5 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

Really? I am sure you are right but I'm surprised that some insurance policies cover you for travelling to places where the FCO advise not to. To be honest, it's not something I tend to think about when booking insurance for a Mediterranean cruise as I never think it will be an issue. That has obviously now changed!

Hi vwgolf it would not cover you if you traved against the advice but covers your costs for cancellation on two stipulations one that you booked the holiday prior to the second stipulation of the recommendation from the FCO. 

If I was better with technology 🙄I would have posted the page in our insurance document but I do intend to check with them prior to paying the balance. 

37 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

If you are denied boarding I would have thought that the travel company would be obliged to refund as they are not fulfilling their side of the bargain. Or is there some small print in the contract somewhere?

If you are denied boarding due to something outside Tui's control you may have to claim your insurance.

Edited by rkingphoto

10 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Hi vwgolf it would not cover you if you traved against the advice but covers your costs for cancellation on two stipulations one that you booked the holiday prior to the second stipulation of the recommendation from the FCO. 

If I was better with technology 🙄I would have posted the page in our insurance document but I do intend to check with them prior to paying the balance. 

I see. That would mean Marella would have to continue going to destinations that the FCO have advised not to go to. How likely is that? I would have thought that bad PR, if nothing else. They could continue with the cruise but cancel some ports of call I suppose and the worse case scenario is a 14 day cruise with no stops! I wonder what the rules say on that!?

1 minute ago, rkingphoto said:

If you are denied boarding due to something outside Tui's control you will have to claim your insurance.

But TUI are in control - they are making the decision not to allow you to board! I'm sure there's something in the T&C's about it that favours Marella though. I'll have a look.

Just now, vwgolf said:

But TUI are in control - they are making the decision not to allow you to board! I'm sure there's something in the T&C's about it that favours Marella though. I'll have a look.

I changed that to "may have to claim your insurnace" because reading it again it's not totally clear.

This is the part from the Ts&Cs.

If We Cancel Your Holiday

If we cancel your holiday, except where it’s because you haven’t paid or you have been disruptive, you can have a refund or accept a replacement holiday from us of a similar standard and price if we can offer you one. We’ll also pay the compensation shown below (unless we have cancelled because of one of the reasons listed in ‘Events Beyond Our Control’ or where you haven’t paid) and we’ll refund the difference if the replacement holiday is of a lower price.