Coronavirus

4 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

That's how I read it. Marella are getting there slowly and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before this is extended. After all, a good portion of cruise passengers are over 70 and at this rate the ship will be less than half full. How long before economics kick in and say it's cheaper not to set sale?

Yes I think they slowly getting there, but deliberately slowly.   To cancel all cruises At once and refund would be a massive cash flow issue for them.

They are probably still hoping under 70s with health issues will cancel and claim via their insurance. This will leave only the healthy under 70s (of which I am one, fortunately) to pay out for if they do cancel.

2 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

They are probably still hoping under 70s with health issues will cancel and claim via their insurance. This will leave only the healthy under 70s (of which I am one, fortunately) to pay out for if they do cancel.

Yes probably.  I called my insurer earlier and their message when you ring already says if you are ringing regarding travelling against FCO advice then you must contact your holiday provider to arrange a cancellation or change or trip.  

Just had call re our Canaries cruise on 27th March from Tenerife. Cancelled with offer of full refund or rebook with £200pp off future cruise. Sad but we knew it was coming. Good luck to everyone else waiting for news.

16 minutes ago, Jim The Scot said:

Tried a dummy booking for the Dream for 15th March and still allowing booking

Gib to close all bars and restaurants

That's no loss, the pubs were truly awful when I was last there

• Haha 1

Tui flights to Paphos being cancelled now due to Cypriot decree that persons travelling from UK will have to self isolate for 14 days on arrival.

This to be reviewed on 28th March. Looking increasingly unlikely Celebration 1st April departure will go ahead.

I know this seems a long time away but I’m fed up of worrying about our cruise on the Dream for 2 weeks on 21st July. Will it, won’t it....12-14 weeks until it peaks. Well today got a get out of jail card as our TA emailed me to say our flight home has changed from mid morning to late evening and one of the options is to cancel and rebook another holiday without amendment charges. This may seem a bit hasty but I’ve got my kids who are in their 20s coming so 2 rooms with 5 adults and I’ve already coughed up half the money with the rest being due in 4 weeks. Going in to TA on Sunday to book another one later in the year. Oh, I may bin the kids off also and spend the difference on my American one for next year [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A 70 year old friend with no health issues has been told by her (annual policy) insurance company that they will not cover any 70 year old who now goes on a cruise holiday. Luckily she is sailing with P&O so can postpone or cancel with refund. Another friend who is due to sail with MSC has to wait and see what they decide. Presumably the same scenario as Marella cruisers

Edited by suekay

After latest update on Marella cruises travel alert regarding anyone 70 or over being advised not to cruise (we will get a refund) I rang our insurers Nationwide Flexplus to ask if we could still go on our 3 week cruise and were told we wouldn't be covered. We should have been sailing from Dubai which hasn't been cancelled yet and had thought about switching to Explorer 2 for the 3week Transatlantic cruise but can't do that either

Absolutely gutted as we were both prepared to go as we have no health problems My husband was 70 Sept last year and I'm 70 on Sunday

Going to TA tomorrow to see if we can get a good deal to Cape Verde. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

After a long wait on the phone got thru to Marella and cancelled our March 25 th cruise,very little questions asked as i'm over 70, no health question altho i told them. My wife is 67 but not asked about that and a full refund will hopefully be with me in 3 -5 working days .Just got to dodge the virus bullet .hope this helps !!!

2 minutes ago, jono mono said:

After a long wait on the phone got thru to Marella and cancelled our March 25 th cruise,very little questions asked as i'm over 70, no health question altho i told them. My wife is 67 but not asked about that and a full refund will hopefully be with me in 3 -5 working days .Just got to dodge the virus bullet .hope this helps !!!

Thanks for that update.  Stay safe and well

1 hour ago, Vitalsign said:

After latest update on Marella cruises travel alert regarding anyone 70 or over being advised not to cruise (we will get a refund) I rang our insurers Nationwide Flexplus to ask if we could still go on our 3 week cruise and were told we wouldn't be covered. We should have been sailing from Dubai which hasn't been cancelled yet and had thought about switching to Explorer 2 for the 3week Transatlantic cruise but can't do that either

Absolutely gutted as we were both prepared to go as we have no health problems My husband was 70 Sept last year and I'm 70 on Sunday

Going to TA tomorrow to see if we can get a good deal to Cape Verde. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Sorry to hear that V.Hope you get something else 

Best wishes for your birthday this Sunday,have a good one🎂 🍺

Edited by Jim The Scot

Even Canada has now announced a ban on all cruise ships until July. I realize Marella does not cruise to any Canadian ports... just thought it was interesting and tends to lead me to think more countries may be about to do something similar. 

5 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Even Canada has now announced a ban on all cruise ships until July. I realize Marella does not cruise to any Canadian ports... just thought it was interesting and tends to lead me to think more countries may be about to do something similar. 

It doesn’t matter to Marella.  They will be sailing round trips from Southampton to Southampton to avoid port closures still some on the Facebook sites will be happy with that. 

1 minute ago, rodndonna said:

It looks like NCL and RCL have both just announced suspending cruises for the next month. Looks like Marella will soon have the whole ocean to itself ... but nowhere to dock!

Yes, I'm really looking forward to spending two weeks sailing around the Caribbean looking at the places that I could have visited. And then not being allowed to disembark when we return to Jamaica. Just needs a hurricane to arrive to top it all off...