Coronavirus

TUI shop this morning said refunds and rebooking only being done on a 2 week basis.  Our cruise on Explorer 2 due out 4 July won't be considered for a refund till around 2 weeks before sail date.  Final payment due 11.4.20 and I will have option then to pay £50 pp and use the £400 deposit for a 2021 cruise or cancel and lose it, or pay the balance and keep fingers crossed that we go or get full refund if TUI decide to cancel. We are both over 70. .

Hey Kevin, I just want a solid response from them like other lines have.

I feel for the staff, I used to work on a call center myself. To now I have found them very good.  This delaying tactic I find disappointing.

If that's slagging then off then yes, and I won't apologise for it.

2 minutes ago, jono75 said:

Hey Kevin, I just want a solid response from them like other lines have.

I feel for the staff, I used to work on a call center myself. To now I have found them very good.  This delaying tactic I find disappointing.

If that's slagging then off then yes, and I won't apologise for it.

Hey jono I didn’t read it as though you were. The drip by drip approach is just painful.  

21 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Jono75.   I'm waiting on 10th April cruise now, knowing tui they'll be hanging on until they have to

That is slagging them off in my opinion If he'd read the travel alerts he'd know the procedure It's a month away before his cruise

The other cruise lines don't have flights and cruises included generally so all they have to do is repay for the cancelled cruise TUI have to organise flights as well

At least with a package cruise that is cancelled by TUI you don't have to claim on your travel insurance as they are giving full refunds.

Totally agree Vitalsign, I'm  neither supporting nor knocking Marella but no one could ever have guessed this situation would arise. I feel for travellers and cruise/tour operators alike but they must be in a nightmare situation trying to keep the business running and I just hope all the crew are being considered. Most important of all is that we all keep well.

Happy birthday for tomorrow!

3 hours ago, jono75 said:

Good news for those who will get a refund.  

I'm waiting on 10th April cruise now, knowing tui they'll be hanging on until they have to.  All running normal after Spain might lost the port ban there saying on Twitter.  

Looking at it in a logical way, if Tui cancelled your cruise now then (in the very unlikely event) Spain etc so they can restart the cruises how would they have any guests? 
Also as they state they have to deal with people in the order they are due to sail

As far as I’m aware all cruise lines have been refunding without the need to claim off their travel insurance. 

i meant other cruisers would have to claim on their travel insurance for their flights!!!

Dronnygirl thanks for your birthday wishes and your support

Im sick of reading all these posts by new/prospective Marella cruisers who have never posted on our site until Discovery's engine problems and Coronovirus started 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vitalsign said:

As far as I’m aware all cruise lines have been refunding without the need to claim off their travel insurance. 

i meant other cruisers would have to claim on their travel insurance for their flights!!!

Im sick of reading all these posts by new/prospective Marella cruisers who have never posted on our site until Discovery's engine problems and Coronovirus started 

Not all have been offering refunds, a lot of them have been offering Future Credits.  And, as I pointed out earlier that's not always the best option. 

As for being a fairly new poster on here, you will just have you put up with me because I'm not going anywhere any time soon.

8 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

So you weren’t new this forum once?

54 minutes ago, sweby said:

We don't really know what's ahead, but stay safe everyone, and like Dave says, Keep washing  your hands. Just look after yourselves

Sweby

Here here...lots of us are going to be sick in the weeks ahead and worse lose loved ones, yes this kept me going when I left for work at 7am in the ice an cold, imagining being on a Barbadian beach but it is what it is - a holiday, lets keep this in perspective.

Stay safe and WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Why does being new matter, we are all here to offer support and advice to each other?

• Like 1

But are you? It's all moaning. We're all going to miss our looked forward to cruises along with everyone else all over the world and as you say let's put this in perspective a holiday can be replaced but not those who don't get through this terrible virus

• Like 2

I've just received a message from Marella telling me they are dealing with customers due to depart in the next two weeks and will address future cruises shortly. I think it's inevitable they will be cancelled but the staff are probably overwhelmed. We're due to travel to Jamaica on 7th April and very much doubt it will happen but I would like some certainty.

On a related issue, I made my weekly shop yesterday and was disgusted at the number of empty shelves through panic buying - it's sheet idiocy. What amazed me was customer buying habits; corn flakes were all gone but plenty of weetabix; no plain pasta but nobody was buying wholewheat pasta! As for toilet rolls, I guess the Daily Mail will become useful after all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

I've just received a message from Marella telling me they are dealing with customers due to depart in the next two weeks and will address future cruises shortly. I think it's inevitable they will be cancelled but the staff are probably overwhelmed. We're due to travel to Jamaica on 7th April and very much doubt it will happen but I would like some certainty.

On a related issue, I made my weekly shop yesterday and was disgusted at the number of empty shelves through panic buying - it's sheet idiocy. What amazed me was customer buying habits; corn flakes were all gone but plenty of weetabix; no plain pasta but nobody was buying wholewheat pasta! As for toilet rolls, I guess the Daily Mail will become useful after all!

I went to Sainsbury's as usual on Friday morning. absolute bedlam and as you say weird buying choices. I will make a guess that those 'less healthy' choices are because the kids won't eat the other stuff.

I live alone in an at risk group and I have a cold that started last week (honest) so as the situation is going to get a LOT WORSE I have decided to self isolate. This means buying online. I managed to make a purchase on Friday for 4 days supply but the earliest delivery slot was next Friday. Will try again today and also another supermarket. What irritates me is the demand is due to panic buying. Reported on the beeb, a survey shows the public will support food rationing. Good idea, as long as everyone gets their fair share.

I can see why Marella are processing 2 weeks of cruises at a time. If they announced that the whole summer season is basically gone they would be overwhelmed with passengers demanding refunds. some cruise lines have suspended cruises until late May but they are relatively small operators so can handle the case load?

Edited by davecttr

[quote ‘so as the situation is going to get a LOT WORSE I have decided to self isolate. ‘

According to the news earlier, everyone age 70 and over have self isolate for 4 months. I wonder how they will enforce that?

Now that will have a major effect on the cruise market.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

50 minutes ago, shot2bits said:

[quote ‘so as the situation is going to get a LOT WORSE I have decided to self isolate. ‘

According to the news earlier, everyone age 70 and over have self isolate for 4 months. I wonder how they will enforce that?

Now that will have a major effect on the cruise market.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also reported on the beeb that those under 70 with certain medical conditions will be included. I am 69 and have diabetes. they said doorway delivery of medication will have to be provided.

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I went to Sainsbury's as usual on Friday morning. absolute bedlam and as you say weird buying choices. I will make a guess that those 'less healthy' choices are because the kids won't eat the other stuff.

I live alone in an at risk group and I have a cold that started last week (honest) so as the situation is going to get a LOT WORSE I have decided to self isolate. This means buying online. I managed to make a purchase on Friday for 4 days supply but the earliest delivery slot was next Friday. Will try again today and also another supermarket. What irritates me is the demand is due to panic buying. Reported on the beeb, a survey shows the public will support food rationing. Good idea, as long as everyone gets their fair share.

I can see why Marella are processing 2 weeks of cruises at a time. If they announced that the whole summer season is basically gone they would be overwhelmed with passengers demanding refunds. some cruise lines have suspended cruises until late May but they are relatively small operators so can handle the case load?

Well Sainsbury had no delivery slots left but Tesco had for 2 weeks time -phew!

3 hours ago, vwgolf said:

Well said just came home from the Caribbean arriving safe and well, went out shopping today and as you said the shelves were bare.

18 hours ago, kevinyork said:

Ok, maybe that might be slagging them off but deservedly so in my opinion.  At least let people know further in advance. Not just two weeks. Their own Facebook page have been posting lovely pictures of cocktails etc all week whilst this has been going on and could have used that outlet to keep people informed and reduce the stress for passengers and uncertainty. As far as I’m aware all cruise lines have been refunding without the need to claim off their travel insurance. 

I agree.....Marella are leaving everything far too late....it is highly unlikely that Italy will be safe by next month, yet when I’ve asked them repeatedly what their plan is in that event they give me the standard....’all our cruises will be running as scheduled’ response....still! And people should not have to claim off their own travel insurance if a cruise is cancelled because of FCO advice not to travel....this is where Marella are being devious I feel....leave it so late to cancel that most will already have cancelled themselves, leaving Marella with a much smaller payout.   Marella will have their own insurance that should cover them for loss of income in such a case......so why are they so reluctant to cancel? 

8 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Well Sainsbury had no delivery slots left but Tesco had for 2 weeks time -phew!

Just arrived in France yesterday for 2 weeks....and bearing in mind that as of last night all restaurants, cafes etc are to close, I went to the supermarket with trepidation this morning, expecting everything to be sold out. What a pleasant surprise.....shops very busy but no one loading up trolleys, and pretty much everything available in store....even loo rolls😁

ok all,   Saturday morning 9am got  e mail from tui(we booked online)  cruise on discovery 2 17th march cancelled   due to prime minister of Jamaica  stopping  flights from uk, so effectively  cruise has gone west.    tried to reach tui on the phone  yesterday  no chance    got hold of them today 10. 15 am   will get refund  7/10 days.     did  notice tui flight  this morning took off  for Barbados  from Manchester    at 10.30   some land holiday  people on board I would say  and bringing back  cruisers  from marella explorer 2. this thing will be nuts, a lot of people  will loose their jobs and firms go to the wall.  we can  all help each other  and  don't panic buy