Coronavirus

Let's all spare a thought for all the cruisers stuck on the Braemar, really worrying for them all. No ports will take them and looks as though they will have to sail back to Southampton which will take days.  Fred  Olsen have now cancelled cruises to 23rd May, maybe Marella will follow.

On 3/13/2020 at 1:59 PM, kevinyork said:

I see there is updated travel advice on their website referring to the latest FCO advice. Their website states-

For Marella customers due to travel who are aged 70 or over
We are aware of the Government advice not to travel on a cruise if you are aged 70 or over before the end of April. Customers have the option to cancel and receive a full refund or amend to any other TUI holiday currently on sale. Customers who manage to rebook onto an alternative cruise will receive a discount of £200 per adult and £100 per child.

Kevin have you got a link to the TUI website please. I tried Travel Information at the top of page and this took me to "Coronovirus Information - updated Sunday 15th at 11:25" Lots of links to uk/gov sites but not the above rebook options. Thanks Paul

Edited by MrSilversurf

29 minutes ago, MrSilversurf said:

Kevin have you got a link to the TUI website please. I tried Travel Information at the top of page and this took me to "Coronovirus Information - updated Sunday 15th at 11:25" Lots of links to uk/gov sites but not the above rebook options. Thanks Paul

It’s was part of that information on Friday, very specific saying those over 70 can cancel or rearrange, they pulled it from the update advice, presumably as they were being inundated.  In any case they have to follow the FCO advice so if it applies to you get in touch with them.

18 minutes ago, shot2bits said:

The link was indeed there on Friday, it was what my TA referenced when told her on government advice I wanted to cancel. However, it has been taken down now.

It’s pretty underhand by Tui.  The FCO advice is there to protect the most vulnerable.  I’m pretty disgusted they have now removed it.

Have not been participating in discussions as didn't feel entitled to as we don't have any current or future Marella bookings.

On the other hand, now embarrassed to have become one of those "lurkers" who read everything, take info and tips, and contribute nothing to the boards in return. Yes, guilty of reading cruise news items and following certain boards as circumstances change.

We visited Lisbon for a few days in early February and were just getting around to planning cruises and trips for this year when the "C" word issues hit the media, so have delayed for now.

Sorry that so many of you will miss much anticipated planned trips, even more sorry for those actually onboard ships which have turned into "cruises to nowhere", stressing about onboard illness and how or when getting home with or without self isolation or mandatory quarantine. Some cruise pax still in this situation, including those on Braemar and Celebration, so disappointment over cancellations aside, like ourselves, be happy that you are not currently onboard a ship and at home where all or most of us are  comfortable and have everything we need.

Re posts about Celebration possibly heading for Lisbon. Unsure about any docking in Lisbon as I read the CC News section a few minutes ago, and dated today, is news that all Portugese ports are closed to cruise ships.

Vitalsign, Happy Birthday. Pleased you managed a meal with friends and enjoyed it. Your timing better than ours. One of us has a "special" birthday this coming Thursday, but for a number of reasons, we have had to cancel a much anticipated restaurant dinner with 14 friends and family.  With news, restrictions and advice changing almost hourly, at this point we do not even know if the four of us "still standing" would be foolish to go to a restaurant. A decision to be made on Thursday morning....

Onwards and upwards.....

Edited by edinburgher

30 minutes ago, kevinyork said:

It’s pretty underhand by Tui.  The FCO advice is there to protect the most vulnerable.  I’m pretty disgusted they have now removed it.

Thanks Kevin and Shot2bits for the info. 35 cruise-lines have modified their cancellation policies or deferred deposits to 2021 season. In view of the FCO's advice to confine us 70+ year olds to house arrest 😇, it seemed logical that TUI would follow suite. Sadly it looks like TUI has left the club and withdrawn the offer. Still, it's 6 more weeks till the balance is due and a lot can happen twixt' now and then.

Have just now checked the official Fred website for any Braemar news. They updated today at 13-15.

Now reporting 20 pax and 20 crew confirmed cases, crew numbers include one doctor.

Additional doctors and nurses either on the way or already there hoping to get permission to board.

3 hours ago, MrSilversurf said:

I noticed last night that Tui had removed the information about people aged 70 and over and those with medical conditions being able to CANCEL THEIR CRUISE WITH A FULL REFUND.  Surely they wouldn't be so low as to deny people what the FCO are telling people they are entitled to. 

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Have just now checked the official Fred website for any Braemar news. They updated today at 13-15.

Now reporting 20 pax and 20 crew confirmed cases, crew numbers include one doctor.

Additional doctors and nurses either on the way or already there hoping to get permission to board.

Yep the radio news 25 mins ago suggested HM Gov is trying to get all the passengers flown home ASAP :-

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/1255437/coronavirus-cruise-ship-braemar-fred-olsen-carribean-stranded-latest-news

37 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

I noticed last night that Tui had removed the information about people aged 70 and over and those with medical conditions being able to CANCEL THEIR CRUISE WITH A FULL REFUND.  Surely they wouldn't be so low as to deny people what the FCO are telling people they are entitled to. 

Nancyneptune, i'm over 70,got bad lungs, should have gone on 25th March,got in touch with Marella (not easy) fri  eve ,no fuss got full fare back to card in 3-5 days (hopefully !!) . So I dont think they have a leg to stand on as far as repayment goes. hope customers in future remember the mess Marella are making of a horrible situation !! I WILL !!!

12 minutes ago, jono mono said:

Nancyneptune, i'm over 70,got bad lungs, should have gone on 25th March,got in touch with Marella (not easy) fri  eve ,no fuss got full fare back to card in 3-5 days (hopefully !!) . So I dont think they have a leg to stand on as far as repayment goes. hope customers in future remember the mess Marella are making of a horrible situation !! I WILL !!!

Glad you got your refund,  I agree with your final sentiment although I posted pretty much the same on a Marella Facebook group and got tore apart earlier from people saying they were wonderful.

Anyway I had been in contact with Tui via an email address (cares@tui.co.uk) ever since the UAE closed down and Oman stopped issuing visas.  They had said before we would have to wait and the cruise is planned to go ahead. But I emailed them again Friday advising we were in the risk groups (under 70 but with chronic conditions) and just received a response saying they are refunding us.    If I was to guess I think they knew that cruise would be cancelled shortly anyway.  But at least it’s now sorted.

1 hour ago, kevinyork said:

Glad you got your refund,  I agree with your final sentiment although I posted pretty much the same on a Marella Facebook group and got tore apart earlier from people saying they were wonderful.

Anyway I had been in contact with Tui via an email address (cares@tui.co.uk) ever since the UAE closed down and Oman stopped issuing visas.  They had said before we would have to wait and the cruise is planned to go ahead. But I emailed them again Friday advising we were in the risk groups (under 70 but with chronic conditions) and just received a response saying they are refunding us.    If I was to guess I think they knew that cruise would be cancelled shortly anyway.  But at least it’s now sorted.

Good !! A result !

Edinburgher  Thanks for your kind birthday wishes and sorry to hear you've had to cancel 'special' birthday celebrations on Thursday but hope you still have an enjoyable day although not like you would have wished 

As for me, Friday 13th was not a good day - although we would still have gone on our cruise 10th April our Insurers said no. Rang TUI TA and have an appt tomorrow to get a refund even though the cruise hasn't been officially cancelled. This is as per TUI travel alert on Friday which we have been told still stands even though the page has been updated since However had a lovely meal at Miller & Carter which was very busy on Friday evening. Today 15 family members had Sunday lunch (my treat) at Toby Carvery also very busy and then later Dave & I went to see That 60's Band at a very large pub in the Town Centre which was also very busy even though the St Patrick's Day Parade had been cancelled - lots of talk about the virus but everyone saying they would carry on as normal unless of course they got symptoms or were forced to stay in doors which is what unfortunately might happen to us now - dreading it.

Pleased to hear the TUI refund notice still stands. Being a sceptic, I was pretty sure they would get out of it if they could. I’m going to ring my TA tomorrow for an update. If I get any news I’ll post it on here.

if mrs S2B and I are trapped for 4 months together, this may be my last post, I won’t survive!

Edited by shot2bits

4 hours ago, jono mono said:

Glad to hear you have got your refund sorted out.  Hope you keep well. Lets hope that Marella are fair with everyone. 

It's a nightmare and I do feel really sorry for the crew and entertainers on board and also all who work in the shops and call centres but feel Tui could have handled this better.

3 minutes ago, kevinyork said:

Just announced on GMB that Tui are suspending all holidays and cruises until further notice.

We shall have to wait and see how they deal with refunds now, my bet is on a two week rotation in order of sailing.

18 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

We shall have to wait and see how they deal with refunds now, my bet is on a two week rotation in order of sailing.

also asking for a bail out according to yahoo fianace

Coronavirus: TUI suspends all package holidays and cruises and asks for state aid

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-tui-suspends-all-package-holidays-and-cruises-and-asks-for-state-aid-082549258.html

8 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Coronavirus: TUI suspends all package holidays and cruises and asks for state aid

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-tui-suspends-all-package-holidays-and-cruises-and-asks-for-state-aid-082549258.htm

I think that aid is just the same as airlines etc are applying for and does not mean they are likely to immediately collapse.

Bt I'm not expert, however it does seem obvious that this companies can't last for long under these conditions.

45 minutes ago, fragilek said:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-tui-suspends-all-package-holidays-and-cruises-and-asks-for-state-aid-082549258.html

I think I can assume we're not going to the Caribbean in April now - a mixture of disappointment and relief. Just have to give Marella time to process the refunds; I've criticized them but it must be difficult for them as well.

Would refunds include any excursions pre-booked through their website? Or are they likely to rely on the clause that they are only agents and the contract is between us and the excursion provider, and thus have to claim via insurance?

1 minute ago, vwgolf said:

Would refunds include any excursions pre-booked through their website? Or are they likely to rely on the clause that they are only agents and the contract is between us and the excursion provider, and thus have to claim via insurance?

You can cancel excursions booked via their website up to 24hrs before. Just log in and find the booked trip and click Cancel.

i cancelled ours for 16th April on Friday as it was looking impossible for it to go ahead and I wanted to ensure I got the money back in case they collapsed. Monies hit my account yesterday.

• Like 1