Coronavirus

57 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Marella have updated info on who can be refused boarding it now includes anyone who has been to Italy, and does not specify just northern 😕

That's worrying. We are due to fly to Naples (I know it's a nightmare airport but the itinerary is brilliant) to embark our Marella cruise in May and have already paid the balance. Wonder if Marella will change the itinerary and change the port of embarkation? Not heard anything yet from Marella.

We are also due to depart Naples in May. I just called Marella and they advised that you would be asked the question about visiting Italy in the preceding 30 days, and you would of course answer 'yes' as you couldn't get on boat without physically being there, but they would then ask you exactly where you'd been, and as long as it wasn't northern Italy, you could board. All subject to FO advice of course which could change to include whole of Italy in which case they said they would offer an alternative itinerary or refund. Hope this doesn't happen, but at least we'll get our money back if it does. 

That is very interesting as we are on the re positioning cruise from Jamaica to Naples, the whole lot looks up in the air.

We only booked this as our Celebrity Cruise was cancelled that was due to sail from Hong Kong to Singapore then changed to Singapore to Singapore.  At the time of booking we thought the Caribbean looked a safe option.

If anyone thinks Celebrity is handling this better, think again as they even posted on this site in the roll call that the cruise was going ahead even though passengers on board doing a B2B were told it was cancelled. Then less than 2 days later we were told it was cancelled. That was hours before we flew out as we intended to stay in Hong Kong for a few days first (transferred to stay in Singapore). This was all booked through Celebrity so they knew our plans. I phoned to double check the statement on the board was from them and correct and they confirmed the cruise was on and there was nothing to worry about.

As for getting your money back, that will depend if you booked in the UK and Europe or USA as there are different rules. In the USA Marella only need offer a future cruise credit.

We've been keeping our eye on a cruise late May but have decided to wait until the last minute to see how things stand before booking. I'm sure we aren't the only ones in this position and there are lots of cabins available.  Just wondering whether cruise lines might cancel cruises with low bookings and offer passengers alternatives on other ships, has anyone ever known this to be done?

2 hours ago, helengp said:

We are also due to depart Naples in May. I just called Marella and they advised that you would be asked the question about visiting Italy in the preceding 30 days, and you would of course answer 'yes' as you couldn't get on boat without physically being there, but they would then ask you exactly where you'd been, and as long as it wasn't northern Italy, you could board. All subject to FO advice of course which could change to include whole of Italy in which case they said they would offer an alternative itinerary or refund. Hope this doesn't happen, but at least we'll get our money back if it does. 

"alternative itinerary or refund" they say. I would want them to confirm this in writing ...

29 minutes ago, MrSilversurf said:

"alternative itinerary or refund" they say. I would want them to confirm this in writing ...

In the UK I believe a refund has to be offered if 2 port or more are changed as this is classed as a significant change to the contract.  

9 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

This is getting silly now. I understand the reasons for all this but it won't be long before boarding is denied to everybody who hasn't spent the last 30 days is isolation!

And how do you get to the ship?

Just joking.

12 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

This is getting silly now. I understand the reasons for all this but it won't be long before boarding is denied to everybody who hasn't spent the last 30 days is isolation!

And remember it's still all down to honesty as it has always been with the questioner for Nora virus 🙄

We are on the Pride of Panama March 24 (Canadian booking through Sunwing) and are actually hoping our cruise is cancelled as it is now selling at almost half what we paid for it some almost a year ago I assume as a result of cancellations and low bookings. I don't think it is likely to be cancelled, but not looking forward to it under the current conditions and now feeling like we grossly overpaid for it is not helping.

On the plus side it appears it will be a pretty empty ship which might be nice (-:

22 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

We are on the Pride of Panama March 24 (Canadian booking through Sunwing) and are actually hoping our cruise is cancelled as it is now selling at almost half what we paid for it some almost a year ago I assume as a result of cancellations and low bookings. I don't think it is likely to be cancelled, but not looking forward to it under the current conditions and now feeling like we grossly overpaid for it is not helping.

On the plus side it appears it will be a pretty empty ship which might be nice (-:

We are on the Pride of Panama departing in April and I've no doubt it has gone down in price. However, I always make a point of never looking at prices after I've booked. After all I was happy with the price then so anything that has happened since is irrelevant. That said, this is the first cruise I'm going on where I won't be particularly disappointed if it's cancelled!

Well there is a significant possibility that in a few weeks the number of cases in the UK will be at least as high as the numbers in Italy now. Following Marella cruises advice anyone who has been in the UK within 30 days of the cruise will be denied boarding.

There goes Marella cruises down the toilet!

18 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

We are on the Pride of Panama departing in April and I've no doubt it has gone down in price. However, I always make a point of never looking at prices after I've booked. After all I was happy with the price then so anything that has happened since is irrelevant. That said, this is the first cruise I'm going on where I won't be particularly disappointed if it's cancelled!

I don't normally look either - but was curious to get an idea of whether or not there were a lot of cancellations for our cruise which there seems to have been. 

Like you we were happy with our price when we booked - so we have that. Still holding a vague hope we will get a chance at a complimentary upgrade although I asked and was told not ... 

Booking excursions should be easier on board which is good for us amor Sunwing as we can't prebook the excursions.

16 hours ago, rodndonna said:

I don't normally look either - but was curious to get an idea of whether or not there were a lot of cancellations for our cruise which there seems to have been. 

Like you we were happy with our price when we booked - so we have that. Still holding a vague hope we will get a chance at a complimentary upgrade although I asked and was told not ... 

Booking excursions should be easier on board which is good for us amor Sunwing as we can't prebook the excursions.

Having read your post I decided to break my own rule and have a look at the online prices! Interestingly the only cabins that seem to be available are interior ones so it doesn't look like we will be on an empty ship!

1 hour ago, Kalynan said:

Another cruise line Viking have announced a Temporary change in their cancellation policy .....................

https://www.vikingcruises.co.uk/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

Well spotted Kalynan if Marella followed this it would take a lot of the worry out of paying the final balance, which for us is next week. I do feel it would be good PR for them and allow customers to book with confidence.

Thanks for the post.👍

1 hour ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Well spotted Kalynan if Marella followed this it would take a lot of the worry out of paying the final balance, which for us is next week. I do feel it would be good PR for them and allow customers to book with confidence.

Thanks for the post.👍

Agreed, great spot Kalynan. We've just paid the secondary deposit of £250 for the Iceland/Norway trip on EX2 for 1st Aug. As you say, if Marella adopts this Viking clause, we'll happily pay the final balance on 1st May. "Those who are covered by the temporary exception to the standard cancellation policy can change their cruise date or cancel their cruise at any time up until 24 hours before their planned departure, without incurring cancellation fees"

Whilst not wanting to add fuel to a fire, I had to ask this question.

How can anyone honestly answer this questions taken from the Marella website?

- Have you or any of your fellow travellers travelled from, visited or transited via airports in any of the following locations within 30 days of embarkation or did you have close contact with persons to whom this does apply? China (including Hong Kong and Macau), South Korea, Iran, Italy within 30 days before embarkation?
Did you or any of your fellow travellers have close contact to persons who have been placed on a Leave of Absence or issued a Quarantine Order?

The point here is most if not all of us will be going through UK airports (or any airport) and in my case I have to be there 3 hours before the flight, so how can I tell where everyone around me has been?