Coronavirus

36 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Cancelled my June cruise this morning. My stress level should now reduce. The TA looked resigned so I reckon I was not the only one to cancel.

Sorry to hear that Dave but you have to do what is right for you. I will be making my decision end of next week because of the ever changing situation. 

Sorry to hear you've cancelled Dave and sorry for those so worried they might cancel in the future

We are on the repositioning cruise of Discovery from Dubai to Palma 10th April Received my eticket for Dubai to Aqaba but still waiting for eticket from Aqaba to Palma No notification of any changes of ports yet We visit Messina on the last leg but it's a long way from where the Italian outbreaks are.

If the cruise isn't cancelled we'll be going - my attitude is glass half full and que sera que sera but I can fully understand others who might be more susceptible to Coronovirus side effects worrying

There appear to be no problems on Discovery currently in the Far East as no one is posting so keeping our fingers crossed we'll get there 

A different matter is avoiding sneezing, coughing passengers in Manchester Airport and the plane but well prepared with First Defence spray and plenty of anti viral gel and wipes

On 3/3/2020 at 4:59 PM, davecttr said:

Well there is a significant possibility that in a few weeks the number of cases in the UK will be at least as high as the numbers in Italy now. Following Marella cruises advice anyone who has been in the UK within 30 days of the cruise will be denied boarding.

Agreed, I think you did they right thing to cancel, in the absence of a Viking Cruise Line style guarantee that you get a full rebate if you cancel up to 24 hours before sailing.

Reading across the forums, a large number of people (self included) suddenly renewed our annual insurance. Between now and sail date on 1st August, it's quite likely that Norway and Iceland could bar entry to all ships. It's unlikely my Insurer will cough up (ouch) as Covid19 was a known contagion when policy purchased. Final balance 1st May ...... hmmm

1 hour ago, MrSilversurf said:

Agreed, I think you did they right thing to cancel, in the absence of a Viking Cruise Line style guarantee that you get a full rebate if you cancel up to 24 hours before sailing.

Reading across the forums, a large number of people (self included) suddenly renewed our annual insurance. Between now and sail date on 1st August, it's quite likely that Norway and Iceland could bar entry to all ships. It's unlikely my Insurer will cough up (ouch) as Covid19 was a known contagion when policy purchased. Final balance 1st May ...... hmmm

I have just paid my final balance yesterday for cruise to Norway at the end of May, I was not aware that Norway and Iceland could bar entry, now getting a bit worried 😩 they were happy to take my money without updating me with any issues. 

12 minutes ago, Scot born said:

I have just paid my final balance yesterday for cruise to Norway at the end of May, I was not aware that Norway and Iceland could bar entry, now getting a bit worried 😩 they were happy to take my money without updating me with any issues. 

I'm not aware of any Norway/Iceland ban ... yet but I agree with Dave, if UK rates of contagion reaches Italy, that it's quite likely to happen, in my humble opinion.

1 hour ago, MrSilversurf said:

It's unlikely my Insurer will cough up (ouch) as Covid19 was a known contagion when policy purchased. Final balance 1st May ...... hmmm

I tend to agree although it does seem the travel industry as a whole can't have it both ways. Insurance (in general) should cover what the travel company does not. Of course depending on cover taken out.

So the bottom line is all travel companies will have to offer refunds at that stage in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, Scot born said:

Yes we have to pay ours next week for Norway 6th June I have checked my annual policy and all ok. We only do Norway ports so if those are barred the cruise would be cancelled with a refund. Then we have paid on our card so some redress with the provider. 

Just noted the Aida has just been held at Haugesund Norway suspect passengers 😳😳

16 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Yes we have to pay ours next week for Norway 6th June I have checked my annual policy and all ok. We only do Norway ports so if those are barred the cruise would be cancelled with a refund. Then we have paid on our card so some redress with the provider. 

Just noted the Aida has just been held at Haugesund Norway suspect passengers 😳😳

My policy is though my bank account so have no worries there however was so looking forward to cruising Norway, would be gutted if it got cancelled, 🙁but it is always better to be safe than sorry. 🤞Fingers crossed that a vaccine is found sooner than later. Hope everyone keeps well for lots of more years to happy cruising. 🛳

COPENHAGEN, Denmark — Passengers on a German cruise ship moored in southern Norway received clearance to come out of a 24-hour quarantine after two of them tested negative for the coronavirus, Norwegian officials said Tuesday,.

Officials in the coastal town of Haugesund learned Monday that two passengers on the Aida Aura had contact with someone a week ago who did test positive for the virus. The infected individual wasn't among the cruise ship's 1,200 passengers. 

The two people on the cruise were removed from the ship to be tested for the virus while the other passengers had to remain on board. 

"There is no need to keep the passengers in quarantine,” Teis Qvale, a doctor with the Haugesund municipality, said.

All now seems ok 

Surely people who knowingly have been in contact with anyone who has been to Northern Italy or anyone else with the virus should not be sailing They ought to be fined If the fine was large enough they might think twice about sailing or going anywhere else on a plane/holiday

Very very selfish

Hi. New guy here. Thought I'd join and say hi to everyone.

We are due to fly out to Spain on 5th april. staying in a hotel for a week and then joining the dream for a week. Booked it like 18 months ago.. so excited... and now... absolutely dreading it. I really don't know if its going to go ahead, and if we do go, what happens if the virus causes a problem.

Guess I'll find out in a few weeks... but still.. very worrying!

8 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Surely people who knowingly have been in contact with anyone who has been to Northern Italy or anyone else with the virus should not be sailing They ought to be fined If the fine was large enough they might think twice about sailing or going anywhere else on a plane/holiday

Very very selfish

The problem here is proving people knew that they had been in contact with people from the affected areas.

As I have said you have no idea who is in an airport, on a train or bus or even in the same office block as you may work.

11 minutes ago, obiwan8472 said:

We are due to fly out to Spain on 5th april. staying in a hotel for a week and then joining the dream for a week. Booked it like 18 months ago.. so excited... and now... absolutely dreading it. I really don't know if its going to go ahead, and if we do go, what happens if the virus causes a problem.

Hi and welcome, I think, hopefully you will have insurance which if its a good one Will cover you for cancelling if the FOC issue a pandemic or recommend no travel to the area you have booked. If Marella cancel you will receive a refund or they may offer the cruise at another time this normally is if they cannot dock in the ports on your booking. Good luck 🤞 

1 minute ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Hi and welcome, I think, hopefully you will have insurance which if its a good one Will cover you for cancelling if the FOC issue a pandemic or recommend no travel to the area you have booked. If Marella cancel you will receive a refund or they may offer the cruise at another time this normally is if they cannot dock in the ports on your booking. Good luck 🤞 

Yeah we got insurance which does cover as long as FOC do their thing and recommend no travel.

We have decided as a family... that if it goes ahead, we will just try and make the most of it. (its also our wedding anniversary holiday lol). Still secretly hoping that the virus will just go away lol. Looking at the stats, its only a small number of people that are infected compared to the population of spain and the uk currently.

Just do as Boris says, and wash hands I guess!

The problem here is proving people knew that they had been in contact with people from the affected areas.

As I have said you have no idea who is in an airport, on a train or bus or even in the same office block as you may work.

I agree with you as above but obviously these passengers knew or why would they have been taken off the ship They wouldn't have known they'd been in contact with a complete stranger on a train or bus etc 

They knew a week ago they had been in contact with someone who had tested positive

47 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

The problem here is proving people knew that they had been in contact with people from the affected areas.

I agree with you as above but obviously these passengers knew or why would they have been taken off the ship They wouldn't have known they'd been in contact with a complete stranger on a train or bus etc 

They knew a week ago they had been in contact with someone who had tested positive

I agree with you in the case you state but as a general "rule" a fine would be impossible to police and enforce for the reasons I have given and as laws are written for all and not just a few people that is what we have to go on.

It has already been said but we just have to rely on honesty.

2 hours ago, obiwan8472 said:

Hi obiwan8472 

Welcome, the Dream was our first cruise many years ago,  and now we are hooked, my opinion is you can catch this virus here just going to your shopping centre or supermarket cause as everyone says not everyone will self isolate as recommended. I am sorry that you were once excited and now dreading it. I have been looking at booking the Dream for the 12th April for a nice bit of sunshine before my Norwegian cruise on the Explorer 2 at the end of May. I do hope that it all goes well and you and your family have a wonderful time. 

As this virus spreads it will be almost impossible to keep tabs on everyone you have had contact with to see if they've been exposed or tested positive at a later date. I work in a customer facing role and see 20-30 complete strangers each day. How am I supposed to know if any of them tests positive in the weeks after I've seen them? So I could quite honestly answer a ship medical questionnaire stating I had not been in contact with anyone in the previous 14 days etc. only to discover later that that wasn't true. It is going to be impossible to police and the only way to handle this is to assume that wherever you go over the next few months you will almost certainly be exposed to this virus. If you are worried about that, don't travel.

In Nov 2002 the SARS virus broke. It was a killer and was traced back to the illegal trade in wild animals. Today the wildlife trade is worth billions and employs 1 million people. It's based on the superstitious beliefs in the healing and cultural powers of wild animal products. There is a ban but I fear it's only temporary :-

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-bans-wildlife-trade-consumption-coronavirus-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

Here's a quote :-  "A total ban on trading wild animals would criminalize a substantial proportion of the Chinese population, and be untenable," Zhao-Min Zhou, a Chinese wildlife-policy researcher, told Nature. He added that shuttering animal markets would just move the trade to the black market."

What can the rest of the world do about it? Answer - Nothing but wait until it happens again.

We are flying Sunday morning to join Dream, then a week in hotel. Yes we are going and hoping for the best!

If I get the chance to post anything during our holiday, I'll try my best. If I do not post on here again, you'll know the reason - it got me!

Joking aside, I'm hoping we are 'ahead of the curve', as I acknowledge things are getting steadily worse. Last time I looked, Portugal and Morocco were clear (a couple of days ago)

Mike