Very early morning Olympics

bigrednole

Just realized it cruise is in the last week of the Olympics. It will not run our trip, but we will want to watch the women's soccer matched if possible. The problem is those games will probably be on around 3AM it so. Any chance a place on the ship would broadcast it assuming it is on a channel they receive?

Yes, I wake up around that time even in vacation.

I will tell you what we learned on Explorer last November trying to watch college fb - specifically Penn State vs Ohio State on Saturday afternoon.  Everybody gave me the run around, some saying "yes" and others saying "no" or "not sure."  But I could tell no one really knew.

Happened to be in the elevator with a guy that was in "Media Services" or something like that - so I asked him.  He knew.

The ship has to pay rights fees to broadcast stuff like that.  For the Super Bowl it can run thousands of dollars he said.  So it comes down to paying the fees.  If they pay because they think a lot of folks want to see it (aka, the Super Bowl) you see it.  If they don't, you don't.

Here are the caveats:

* Explorer going to dry dock where it will get the new sports bar that has 5 billion TVs.  That looks to me like a lot more sports will be available beside ESPN Cricket, which is about all we saw on the TV for a week in November.

* If they buy some kind of Olympic package that includes everything then you'd be good to go.

So the answer is a definite "maybe."  And like most things it comes down to money.  Will RC pay the fees?

Edited by BuckeyeMark

Do you have access to your DVR on your phone or tablet? If so, you can record the game and watch.  DH and I love the Tour de France. We cruised mid tour one summer, but we were able to watch on my iPad. 

Edited by Homebody