COVID-19 , has it impacted your cruise?

spinnaker2

Is the threat of contracting the virus impacted or impacting your future travel plans?

It has been reported that many cruises have  altered their destination and/ or port stops along an itinerary. 

According to WHO 74k plus cases in China alone. Iran just reported 5 cases. 

Many other cases on the cruise ship in the news( Diamond Princess had 542 cases).

Data from WHO reveals a single case or multiple cases in Sweden, UK, France, Germany, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Egypt, UAE, Sri Lanka, Thailand, India, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, Philippines, Russian Federation, Korea, Japan, USA and Canada. 

What precautions are you taking ( if any) other than hand washing( always)!?

33 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Is the threat of contracting the virus impacted or impacting your future travel plans?

It has been reported that many cruises have  altered their destination and/ or port stops along an itinerary. 

According to WHO 74k plus cases in China alone. Iran just reported 5 cases. 

Many other cases on the cruise ship in the news( Diamond Princess had 542 cases).

Data from WHO reveals a single case or multiple cases in Sweden, UK, France, Germany, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Egypt, UAE, Sri Lanka, Thailand, India, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, Philippines, Russian Federation, Korea, Japan, USA and Canada. 

What precautions are you taking ( if any) other than hand washing( always)!?

Not so far but we are expecting enhanced procedures in Sydney.

No but then again we just did 11 days on the Wind in the Caribbean.  Because of work and ongoing graduate studies we had no planned cruises.  Makes it an easy decision for us and we can honestly say Coronavirus has had no impact on our plans.  

I don't have anything booked going to Asia, so currently don't have anything being affected. However, the 4 I do have booked (starting from August) could potentially be affected which is a huge concern. There is no telling how the spread is going to continue and how countries are going to react to it. The Princess ship in quarantine in Japan is proof if any was needed, that cruise ships are great incubators! Which I suspect will be huge concerns for ship owners, passengers and the ports being visited. (Which I fully understand.)

From a personal level and in relatively decent health, the threat to me as an individual isn't something I'm overly panicking about. I catch colds and flu and get over it. From what I've read and with my limited knowledge on this, the symptoms are not dissimilar to that and recovery unless you've other complications are very good. Not that I'm trying to tempt fate - just the gut feeling whilst its great there are attempts to stem the spread, It's not bubonic plague and I'm somewhat less concerned than I would otherwise have been on the news of infectious diseases. I take a similar view of the the effects and mass panics over a terrorist incident. I live in London. I've read so many times people (particularly from the US) say they have cancelled or wouldn't book a trip to London because of the fear of being caught up with something. I see that as being irrational, but understand if its going to panic, then its probably wise. (Travel is to enjoy, not to be fearful after all.)

So, the short version, nothing affecting me so far and hoping that remains that way. Given the fact travel to China and Hong Kong attracts a stigma, I would avoid travelling there. I would certainly be mindful of not wishing to catch it, but I'd be concerned if I did, how I'd be treated plus the effects of "have you travelled to China recently" would have for me. SS won't allow you on their ships if you have, so therein tells its own story. There won't be a cure any time soon (though I expect there will likely be next year) and there will be another "epidemic" we'll read about at some point. It's life!

7 hours ago, tgh said:

We are currently scheduled to meet the Explorer in Kobe in June …. I expect that it will not happen

If you mean Kobe to Otaru June 7, we have non-CC friends from Pennsylvania on that trip, and a friend from Brisbane as well. Look out for Joan and Stuart (PA) and Lisa (Brisbane); we all met on Explorer in 2013 so they will be hanging out together much of the time. When you meet them, tell them hello from JP and Chris! They will be quite surprised!

We looked at this cruise but didn't end up booking. Hope you get to go as scheduled.

• Like 1

As for Les, none of my booked cruises are in Asia so, for the moment, I have no change of plans. I am also not so worried about catching Covid, but I really don't want to get stuck in some travel disruption with long distance flights, or a quarantine situation. So, fingers crossed. And washed!

I am also very relieved that SS now has deep pockets behind her - there is much angst on the Crystal boards about cancellations/refunds, now turning into worry about Crystal's financial resilience. 

• Like 1

NCL (and Oceania, Regent) have canceled all Asia cruises through Q3 this year. This link was hard to  copy on my phone so hopefully it works.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/02/20/norwegian-cruises-canceled-summer-across-asia-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/4823118002/?for-guid=75b40ad0-ca6c-4d9a-9674-808dfa4cb471&utm_source=usatoday-Travel&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=baseline&utm_term=list_article_thumb

They are also denying boarding to anyone who has been to China, Macau, and HK in the past 30 days.

We have a China trip planned for June. Not very confident that it will happen, but you never know. If we do go, it might be empty of other tourists!

I have a cruise booked (2 actually)...TA crossing from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona and then a River cruise on the Douro.

These trip is from April 5th----May 4th.  I booked it a long time ago and have no intention of cancelling.

We leave this week for our first SS cruise on the Spirit. The cruise starts in Singapore, although we embark the following day in Phuket. Ports of call are Yangon (Myanmar), Colombo (Sri Lanka) and Cochin (India), finishing in Mumbai (India). No changes whatever at present to our itinerary and fingers firmly crossed. We, too, are philosophical, although not foolhardy folk, thankfully in very good health. In all honesty, we have never given a moment's consideration to changing our plans. Whilst absolutely not minimising this issue in any way, putting things in perspective, the virus has a very low mortality rate, although the quarantine and treatment protocols are not great.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jpalbny said:

We have a China trip planned for June. Not very confident that it will happen, but you never know. If we do go, it might be empty of other tourists!

Go!  We wish we had time to get over there, because the deals at the very best, most luxurious places are dropping like a rock.  We're helping a few clients plan trips and we're seeing prices up to 70% less than when we were there in 2017 and 2018.  Truly incredible!  It's going to be so remarkable to be there without the throngs of tourists.  THIS SUMMER is the time to be there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As luck would have it, we're doing a last-minute adventure on the Silver Wind March 26th, Bridgetown to Ft. Lauderdale and then the Spirit, London to Copenhagen in July.   We looked at the Far East sailings but passed this year because of the cost of air transport.

8 hours ago, Fortunate2 said:

As luck would have it, we're doing a last-minute adventure on the Silver Wind March 26th, Bridgetown to Ft. Lauderdale and then the Spirit, London to Copenhagen in July.   We looked at the Far East sailings but passed this year because of the cost of air transport.

That was Fortunate2 🙂

Hoping to be on for lunch on your Greenwich departure... If that's allowed! (Something else I'd not even given too much consideration to, but guess it's something else that could get the chop!)

My next cruise is in early April, from Lisbon to Barcelona, so no.
And for overall travel plans- no. I travel frequently on business and am more concerned about catching the flu at this time of year. 

But... I am keeping an eye on two situations that could have the potential to impact my cruise.

The main concern - one of our port stops is Malaga and at the end of January, the Wuhan football (soccer to we Americans) team arrived in Malaga to train.  Although no reports - yet - of Covid-19,  am definitely keeping an eye on this. There are reports that some of their matches have been cancelled by the opposing teams out of concern. Based on when the team arrived in Spain, we should definitely be hearing reports soon if any of the players were carrying the virus. 

The other is that in January, I did have the flu and still have a lingering cough. If this darn cough persists and the virus spreads in Europe, there is the potential that I could be denied boarding.  

Not really concerned, just monitoring these situations.

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Fortunate2 said:

Hi, I am boarding the Wind the day you are disembarking:classic_biggrin:

Wondering if the glut of cruise ships in some areas due to repositioning away from Far East will cause prices to drop.  I need a good solo sale to book a fall cruise for this year.  Hoping the MidEast May departure won't be affected.  Assuming the Alaska one in August will be OK.

Missy in Maryland

8 hours ago, Fortunate2 said:

Lois...we were almost with you for the TA portion but a family gathering changed those plans.  We'll leave the Wind nice and tidy for you:-)

F2

6 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

The news out of Italy appears likely to be a game-changer for a lot of travel plans in the near future.  Now the largest outbreak outside ofAsia. Carnivale in Venice cancelled!

Indeed. Train been turned back leaving Italy at the Austrian Boarder. Israel turned back a plane from South Korea.

Not looking good.

17 hours ago, MHF said:

Wondering if the glut of cruise ships in some areas due to repositioning away from Far East will cause prices to drop.  I need a good solo sale to book a fall cruise for this year.  Hoping the MidEast May departure won't be affected.  Assuming the Alaska one in August will be OK.

Missy in Maryland

It depends on where you are looking to go Missy. There were some unbelievable offers on the repositioned Queen Elizabeth around Australia. Yesterday an 11 nighter for single occ in a penthouse was £1800 I was tempted but the dates didn’t quite work for me.  The NCL spirit has also been rescheduled for a summer in the Greek isles and has some excellent prices but I think they may improve again with the news from Italy today.