COVID-19 , has it impacted your cruise?

spinnaker2

I agree with Les about the actual illness. It is the potential for quarantined that concerns me.
We have a Med cruise booked for September .... starts it Italy and visits various Italian ports so we are hoping that by then the situation will be OK.

We also have a short break planned for Florence in two weeks.

This is a DIY trip. The hotel can be cancelled up to 24 hrs before arrival so that is not a problem. The main issue will be the flights. Unless HMG /FCO advise against travel then we are stuffed as travel insurance will not pay out.

Annoying to say the least!

I suspect we will not go but fingers crossed.

19 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Well, the cancellation doesn’t go into effect until midnight and the vast majority of events are already completed as Carnivale was scheduled to end Tuesday anyway.

True, I should have said "cut short"; the article I read did not mention that it went into effect at midnight. 

Have never been to Carnevale in Venice. But as someone who lived in New Orleans for a few years, cancelling the Fat Tuesday celebrations would be akin to cancelling Mardi Gras, even though there are parades in the weeks beforehand. 😉

• Like 1

Silverseas along with other Cruise Lines are now restricting anyone who has been to Northern Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto from boarding. 

I am on the Silversea Shadow cruise departing Roma port in April 2020. I would have put it on the Silversea Roll Call for fellow cruisers, but no one has really posted on it since Oct 2019, so here you go for that and other cruises:

Here is Silverseas travel advisory: https://www.silversea.com/update-on-coronavirus.html 

This is what it says:

February 24, 2020

The health safety and comfort of our guests and crew are always Silversea Cruises first priority and with this in mind we are closely monitoring the recent development regarding the broad advisory just released by the US State Department. 

The below procedures are in place for all Silversea Cruises Sailings: 

Guests who have traveled from, visited, or transited through airports in China, including Hong Kong and Macau, Iran, South Korea and specific areas of Italy (affected cities within Lombardy and Veneto region) within 15 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality, will not be allowed to board any of our vessels. The standard incubation period recognized by the WHO and US CDC for this virus is 14 days. 

• Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a full cash refund. 

• For all guests, we will continue standard pre-boarding enhanced health reporting and evaluation. Any guests who appear symptomatic are subject to pre-boarding medical evaluations including but not limited to temperature checks as deemed necessary. Any guest who exhibits symptoms of any respiratory illness while on board will be subject to additional screening at our onboard Medical Center and may be subject to potential quarantine and disembarkation. 

• We have implemented additional cleaning and disinfection protocols on board all voyages. These protocols will be enforced in addition to our already rigorous sanitization standards in place. 

• Our crew members who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, including Hong Kong and Macau, Iran, South Korea and specific areas of Italy (affected cities within Lombardy and Veneto region) within 15 days will not be allowed on board our ships. 

• For all crew, we will implement health reporting and temperature checks. Any crew member who exhibits symptoms of any respiratory illness while on board will be subject to additional screening at our onboard Medical Center and may be subject to potential quarantine and disembarkation. 

• The above measures will remain in effect until further notice and are subject to change at any time as we evaluate the situation and continue to consult with local health authorities as well as CLIA, the WHO and US CDC.

• Thanks 1

I wonder how the Statement will be put into practice as every single cruise I have ever been on there are pax who cough and sneeze!! Just the same as on planes, trains, subways and all other methods of transportation.

At some point I imagine there will be acknowledgement that the efforts to contain the virus have not been successful. Then efforts will shift to measures of how to best deal with it. 

Hi Lois

yup cruising soon. Heading to Bucharest 17 Mar  then SS in April Rome to Barcelona. Just flying into Rome the night before thankfully. No regional tours as we normally do. 

Doing a tour of Transylvania then the river cruise to Budapest. but that appears ok right now. 

heck, going to Phoenix to assist family shortly and there’s one case there. 

just watching all of it closely and trying to be smart and not overly reactive.

I’m suffering from some allergies so do have the sniffles so that should be fun to watch reactions!!

enjoy your cruise. 

den

We are on the Shadow crossing from FLL-LIS late in Mar. Got an IMPORTANT notice from SS today that had a survey to fill out how to contact us and what countries we will be in 15 days before our cruise. Luckily (?) we are staying home in CO USA. Wonder if the cruise will actually go? Our only stop on the crossing is Funchal. Glad my air is thru SS, but concerned about the plane change at IAD, saw last night on TV that they still have flts to/from China.

17 minutes ago, silkismom said:

We are on the Shadow crossing from FLL-LIS late in Mar. Got an IMPORTANT notice from SS today that had a survey to fill out how to contact us and what countries we will be in 15 days before our cruise. Luckily (?) we are staying home in CO USA. Wonder if the cruise will actually go? Our only stop on the crossing is Funchal. Glad my air is thru SS, but concerned about the plane change at IAD, saw last night on TV that they still have flts to/from China.

I am sailing on the WIND Crossing after you....in early April.  Also Ft. Lauderdale but we end in Barcelona.

Then I am flying to Lisbon for a river cruise on AMA on The Douro...late April to Early May.....Nobody

has contacted me (yet)….I will be here at home as well...though I am flying down to Ft. Lauderdale 1 day

early. As for that river cruise, I will be on board THE WIND before the river....wonder if AMA will be contacting

me.....

1 hour ago, silkismom said:

...but concerned about the plane change at IAD, saw last night on TV that they still have flts to/from China.

What?  You want to leave all of this beautiful powder we’ve been getting in February with our snowiest month yet to arrive? 😆😆😆

What Colorado news channel reported on flights between China and Dulles?  I thought the only ones allowed to land were diplomatic and/or immediately put under quarantine for 2-weeks at one of the military installations out East.

This was on Fox news Tucker Carlson last night, most of the hour was about Corona, someone was at IAD by the Air China counter. 

Sadly, snow wise, we haven't been able to ski for several years--his back and my knee/hip. Had hoped to try x-country again before getting rid of those skis too, but haven't had the chance yet. I keep thinking that the more snow, the better chance of no fires this spring.

10 minutes ago, silkismom said:

Sadly, snow wise, we haven't been able to ski for several years--his back and my knee/hip. Had hoped to try x-country again before getting rid of those skis too, but haven't had the chance yet. I keep thinking that the more snow, the better chance of no fires this spring.

That is sad.  We’ve lived out here for more than two decades now.  Last year was a snow year for the ages.  And, one I didn’t expect to see again for many, many more years to come.  That is why this year has been such a pleasant surprise.  I can’t remember a February like this, ever.  Wherever we go ski, there have been freshies, day-after-day-after-day.  Such a joy!  And, like you, i agree it certainly bodes well for another summer season without the major risk of fire.  The wildflowers this coming summer should be spectacular once again!

• Like 2

I was scheduled to fly out this morning for Spirit from Singapore to Sri Lanka and am cancelling. There have been some who say that is alarmist.  In light of the CDC and US Department of State recommendations counseling avoidance of Asian cruises,  as well as data supporting the lack of a handle on transmission (14 days or 27 days for incubation, how long on surfaces 1 hour or 9 days), recommendations of my physicians, and other data from authorities with nothing to gain or lose in the transaction, I could no longer justify the risk. Silversea had originally said that refunds would be offered to those choosing to cancel but the TA was told today that may not be the case.  Awaiting further developments.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Archipelago said:

I am on the Shadow in 11 days ...that voyage was waitlisted for a year or more and now has 2 cabin categories which have opened up in the last day or 2 ……..Rio to FLL  … the cruise before Silkismom.  Got the survey from SS and have submitted it.

So far just one case in Brazil, in Sao Paulo, not in Rio. A person that arrived from Italy. Although in Portuguese, I guess you can read using online translation.

https://oglobo.globo.com/sociedade/coronavirus/novo-teste-confirma-primeiro-caso-de-coronavirus-no-brasil-diz-fonte-do-governo-24272299

Welcome to my very very warm city!

2 hours ago, Lirio said:

So far just one case in Brazil, in Sao Paulo, not in Rio. A person that arrived from Italy. Although in Portuguese, I guess you can read using online translation.

https://oglobo.globo.com/sociedade/coronavirus/novo-teste-confirma-primeiro-caso-de-coronavirus-no-brasil-diz-fonte-do-governo-24272299

Welcome to my very very warm city!

Uh-oh.

My brother was in Sao Paulo for Carnival!  I'll keep away from him for a few weeks.

We have a July Alaska  Cruise scheduled. The day 120 full cancel deadline is approaching so we may cancel.  I wish SS would extend the cancel deadlines so we can better assess the situation. Muse is currently scheduled to go through Vietnam, Japan and Singapore in April/May before heading to Alaska.  I’d avoid the Asian ports first of all, but if the U.S. situation gets worse, it’ll be too late to cancel.  If the area or the ship has a few cases of the virus in summer, I bet they won’t cancel the cruise. It’s a lot of $$$ to gamble. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, les37b said:

I think you're supposed to say "I hope he's alright", JP.

Well of course you're right, but, it was just his brother 🙂.   (I have 2 bros I love dearly, but could not say so if there was even a remote chance they were on this board)

1 hour ago, Ddc1818 said:

It’s a lot of $$$ to gamble. 

It sure is.  Our 1st SS cruise was to Alaska on the Muse last year and was just superb; one of our fondest memories.  I hope things work out for you Ddc1818 and welcome to this board - lots of good folks here who have helped DW and I start cruising, and enter their SS community with their grace and good humor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We are booked on the Silver Explorer Russia Far East, Otaru to Otaru departing 18 June.  Unfortunately our 120 full cancellation deadline has now passed and we currently have flights booked via Hong Kong which as things stand, we would need to change to be allowed to board.  We asked Silversea about this and their response was:

Our policy below remains unchanged For the most up to date information it is best to keep checking the website. At the moment all sailings are going ahead as scheduled. However, with the situation developing we are not able to predict that far ahead. We follow all the WHO advise and have security experts in the US monitoring the situation. All guests and agents will be informed if there are any changes.

If guests travel to any of the countries on the restricted list then they will be denied boarding. They must avoid transiting also. If they have booked flights through any of these they must be changed. They should contact their agent. 

So, I think we're facing a few months of uncertainty, and of course, at some point soon will need to apply for our Russian visa.  We're reluctant to change our flights yet as things will certainly change between now and June.  

Edited by KennyMandy
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Uh-oh.

My brother was in Sao Paulo for Carnival!  I'll keep away from him for a few weeks.

This particular case is a man who was travelling to Italy and arrived on Saturday morning in a flight from Paris. 

We are just hoping sanity prevails soon considering we are heading to Miami from UK in 16 days to join the Lady Wind for her stroll through the Caribbean. 

Here in UK there has been a fair bit of panic-mongering from the gutter press along with a general lack of precise information regarding the relative risk of CV against seasonal flu. Such public panic can provoke governmental over-reaction. Let's just hope our policy-makers listen to the experts and not the mob. 

Edited by Tothesunset
Typos!
  • Like 1

Just thinking that at some point acknowledgment will be made that the attempts at containment of the virus have failed.

Then it becomes how to deal with something that is ubiquitous as the flu. How to mitigate. Even as scientists scramble to create a vaccine which is likely not to happen in next few months.

Certain people are always more at risk for catching stuff, they probably know who they are.