ROME ON YOUR OWN

HCI

Hi

Just after some advice

We will depart off ship then taken to the Hilton Garden Inn at Rome Airport to spend the night

How do I go about catching the train to Rome from the Airport, then returning to the Airport station to catch the shuttle bus to the Hilton.

We would like to explore Rome on our own, would like to know where I can get this info from including some maps

Any advice would be great

Many Thanks

Thanks for that CruiserBruce

Glad you answered have used you advise a few times

Is it easy to do Rome on your own & is the train station back to airport easy to find

Thanks

Rome is very walkable (except the Vatican, which is a bit out of the way), and pretty user friendly. You most likely will use the main station, Termini, to get back to the airport. With a little planning, and a map, it is not hard to find.

Do you have mobility issues?

13 hours ago, HCI said:

How do I go about catching the train to Rome from the Airport, then returning to the Airport station to catch the shuttle bus to the Hilton.

We would like to explore Rome on our own, would like to know where I can get this info from including some maps

You have two train options:

1)    The Leonardo Express is a Trenitalia train connecting Fiumicino airport with Termini (the main train station in Rome).  It takes roughly 32 minutes and leaves the airport every half-hour, or every 15 minutes during peak hours. It's non-stop service from the airport to Termini. The first train leaves the airport at 6:38 a.m., and the last of the day at 11:38 p.m. Tickets cost €14 each way. 

2)    The other train option is the regional train called the FL1. It's a commuter line, and connects Fiumicino Airport with several points in central Rome, but it does not go to Termini station. You can get off at Trastevere, Ostiense, Tuscolana, or Tiburtina stations in Rome, and the best one will depend on where you're staying in the city. The cost of a ticket on the FL1 is only €8. Trains leave every 15 minutes or so, and the trip takes about 30 minutes.

To maximize your DIY time in Rome, I would recommend the Leonardo Express to Termini OR the FL1 to Ostiense (depending on what you want to visit). Once at Termini or Ostiense, you can utilize the metro to quickly get you to the Colosseum or the Vatican – you can also walk the historic center. You can download a metro map online – the following link includes the metro and train stations:

https://romemap360.com/rome-train-map

There is an interactive map of Rome that will show the closest landmarks here:

https://www.rome.net/map/roma-termini-railway-station

If you want a printed version of a map, I would recommend purchasing a good map of Rome – these can be found online or at bookstores (Barnes & Noble). Check-out the Streetwise Rome map here:

https://www.amazon.com/Streetwise-Rome-Map-Laminated-Michelin/dp/2067229818/ref=asc_df_2067229818/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312075063017&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3364877381518501318&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028715&hvtargid=aud-829758849484:pla-563562817351&psc=1

Our favorite map is the Rough Guide here (you can also download it to your kindle or smartphone):

https://www.amazon.com/Rough-Guide-Rome-Guides/dp/024130640X/ref=asc_df_024130640X/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312168262001&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9666441706470422573&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028715&hvtargid=aud-829758849484:pla-525143456800&psc=1

You might want to get a Rick Steves guidebook - he has an Italy one and also a Mediterranean Port Guide. There will be some maps, fairly accurate, and some good logistical advice. Rome in one day is a pretty "big bite" - to maximize, you might want to do a tour. If not, pre-book anything you can. Just St. Peter's / Vatican can eat up alot of the day.

A printed map is very helpful, but I also like to use Google maps. As I am researching the trip, (using Pinterest, Trip Advisor, Rick Steves etc.) I go to my Google maps, locate the site of interest, then mark it with a star. From there, I can use Google to search nearby for restaurants and mark those too. It makes it easy to learn which places of interest are located close together. 

Soon before my trip, I will download the map to my tablet. That way I can use the map offline without a need for wifi or expensive data usage. A paper map can be easier to pull out on a street corner, but the Google map is more detailed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I would recommend Visit a City when planning any DIY itinerary, in conjunction with the Rick Steve's books.  We have done this several times.  You use one of their suggested itineraries depending on your time allotted and interest and then customize it to work for you. It gives you maps, opening hours and descriptions of attractions.  It is operated by Viator, so there are tours you may or may not choose to include in your day.   Once you have completed your itinerary you can download it and use it offline as you make your way through the city.

https://www.visitacity.com/

• Like 1

So, lets talk about the "Hilton Garden Inn" FCO...which would not be my personal choice.  It is actually located on the FCO Airport grounds but it is on the opposite side of the airport from the passenger terminal area.  This means that you would need to use their shuttle vehicle to get back to the airport from where you can catch the train into Rome (there are a couple of different train options).  IMHO this is a pain in the behind because the shuttle runs when it does and you can waste a lot of time just waiting for the shuttle to take you over to the terminal and more time waiting for it to pick you up at the terminal.   If we stay out at FCO (we only do this when we have a morning flight) we opt for the Hilton (not the Hilton Garden) since that hotel is actually connected to the passenger terminals via a long overhead walkway (accessed a few feet from the hotel's front door).   Although the Hilton does cost more money we think the convenience makes it worthwhile.  

But I will emphasize that we only stay out at FCO when we are catching an early flight the following morning.  Otherwise, we will stay somewhere in Rome.  Since you are going to and from Rome anyway, why not stay in Rome so you can enjoy the evening without worrying about getting back out to the airport and waiting for the shuttle to your hotel.  

As far as exploring Rome on your own, you can buy maps/tour books at most book stores or from Amazon.  But there are also plenty of free apps (for your phone) that make a lot of sense if you have a working phone.  And your phone also becomes handy for directions.  T-Mobile provides free coverage for their customers (which is why many crew members get T-Mobile) and other companies will usually have International service for a fee.   Some folks still opt to rent an international phone or buy an Italian/European Sim.    We travel throughout Europe on our own (been doing that for over thirty years) and would not dream of doing it these days without a working phone.

As to decent guide books for those doing things on their own, we are big fans of the Rick Steves books.  He actually publishes a specific book for Rome but he also has a thicker book that covers all of Italy.  There is also a Rick Steves book for cruisers that covers all the popular European ports.  His books are really designed for the DIY traveler and has lots of detail on walking tours as well as using public transit.  My only caution about Rick Steves books is that his recommended restaurants will often have you in a touristy place where nearly every table has folks with their Rick Steves book :).  We prefer to eat at places frequented by locals.   A good friend once theorized that once a restaurant is recommended in a Rick Steve's guide it is ruined forever :).  Not sure we accept this theory, but these days there are better ways to find eating  venues.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

But I will emphasize that we only stay out at FCO when we are catching an early flight the following morning.  Otherwise, we will stay somewhere in Rome.  Since you are going to and from Rome anyway, why not stay in Rome so you can enjoy the evening without worrying about getting back out to the airport and waiting for the shuttle to your hotel.  

I heartily second this suggestion. The best way to see Rome is to stay in Rome, in one of the hotels in the historic center. That way you can make best use of the time you have, including enjoying dinner IN Rome and the pleasant atmosphere in the evening when everyone is out for a stroll.

Getting from your hotel to the airport in the morning, the easiest option is to arrange a taxi (hotel can assist); the cost should be a fixed rate of 48 euro. There are cheaper options, but if your flight is early, I feel this is the easiest/most reliable overall.

• 4 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 6:44 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I heartily second this suggestion. The best way to see Rome is to stay in Rome, in one of the hotels in the historic center. That way you can make best use of the time you have, including enjoying dinner IN Rome and the pleasant atmosphere in the evening when everyone is out for a stroll.

Getting from your hotel to the airport in the morning, the easiest option is to arrange a taxi (hotel can assist); the cost should be a fixed rate of 48 euro. There are cheaper options, but if your flight is early, I feel this is the easiest/most reliable overall.

Agree, to enjoy Rome you need to be IN Rome. A taxi from the city center to Fiumicino should take around 30 min.

Just reread this thread and wanted to emphasize a very important issue.  The Hilton Garden Inn is NOT the same as the Hilton Rome Airport (FCO).  They are two completely different hotels in different locations.  This is not always clear when reviewing some Internet sites.  So lets make the big difference clear.   The Hilton Garden Inn is NOT within walking distance of the airport.  If you stay at the Garden Inn you are at the mercy of their hotel shuttle service to get you to and from the airport (which is where you would go to catch the train to Rome).   So folks need to understand that just going into Rome (and later returning) involves waiting for a shuttle, getting on the shuttle to the airport, taking the long walk from the shuttle drop site to the FCO train station, waiting for your train, and ultimately getting from your station (there are various stations) to wherever you want to go within the sprawling city.  All this takes time (and effort) so just going to Rome for dinner might involve about an hour (or more) of transportation (each way).   

I would draw a comparison to the more expensive Hilton Rome Airport.  This hotel (larger and more expensive then the Hilton Garden) actually has a pedestrian walkway (accessed from just outside the main hotel entrance) that you can use to walk to the airport (and airport train station).  It is a long hike, but the walkway is enclosed and does protect you from the elements.  The Hilton Rome Airport also has a shuttle service (similar to the Hilton Garden Inn) for which you must wait.  Like any small vehicle shuttle service it is also possible that the shuttle will be full (in which case you hope they find another shuttle vehicle or you wait a long time for the next shuttle).

So I renew my earlier comment.   If seeing Rome is your goal that it is best to stay at a hotel located within Rome.  The airport hotels are fine for folks who are simply looking for a room so they can catch an early flight (the next morning) but not a good base for exploring Rome.

Hank