Regal receives failing grade on inspection

bluehengal

Wow, that's a far cry from the 100 it received two years ago 😥😥 when will Princess catch a break 

FYI for anyone interested, the link to the CDC report is here: https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MjEyNjAyNTU%3d-TVijKssWTGY%3d

Any score 85 or below is considered a fail on the grade scale

• Like 2

After having been in food service for forty five years and going through numerous inspections. I know at times inspectors are what you could describe as nit picking on some things. After reading the report all I can say is wow. procedures on the Regal seem to be beyond sloppy but intolerable. We sail on her in August hopefully they quickly get their act together. For those who sometimes complain about a spot of rust, a smudge on a window a worn carpet  at times one has to look deeper.

• Like 3

I cringe thinking what score I would get if they inspected my home/kitchen. There are so many areas subject to inspection, and those GI issues seem to be increasing on many ships. 

Frequent hand washing, use the sanitizing agents, hands away from your face, keep clear of fellow passenger who are coughing, wipe down remote control, door handles, phone, etc in cabins [also wipe down surfaces on the plane - those trays & overhead bin handles are bacterial communities].  Watch fellow passengers at the buffet - I have seen some actually put fingers into food, or cough and then handle a serving piece. 

We have a hot tub at home and know that chlorine like smell isn't chlorine - body waste - and we never use those hot tubs on ships.  Do passengers really shower before entering the pools or hot tubs?  Be a little germ phobic. 

Darcy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

Wow, that's a far cry from the 100 it received two years ago 😥😥 when will Princess catch a break 

FYI for anyone interested, the link to the CDC report is here: https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MjEyNjAyNTU%3d-TVijKssWTGY%3d

Not too terrible, really.  It's a working ship and people get busy.  More training and supervision seems indicated.

5 hours ago, bluehengal said:

YIKES!!  Just as I am about to board the Regal, they scored the lowest, and failed, the recent health inspection on 2/5/20.  They scored a mere 77!!  

Have sailed the Regal many times. I would not alter my plans or worry at all.

I trust Princess to correct everything.

Curious do you check the rating at all the restaurants you eat at?

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Actually, I do check the ratings at restaurants before I eat there.  

• Like 4

I also worked in food service for many years and it can be quite disgusting

how restaurants are run in the back of the house. 

A few years ago I became very ill with a massive infection which was found 

to be due to the lack of sanitation in the walk-ins and other areas. I had to be hospitalized

and it took a while to recover. (I worked there but not in the kitchen). Two co-workers also

became ill.

We were on the Regal in September 2018 and they were late boarding due to an inspection,

but the staff was elated with their high score! (Brooklyn port)

• Like 1

I saw that today too. How did a princess ship lose to a carnival cesspool cruise ship? The Jacuzzi itself from any carvinal should give the princess Regal an easy head start as CCL's jacuzzi is filled with more all sorts of bodily fluids than water. 

7 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I actually do check the local restaurants I eat at.

• Like 1

There's also a corrective report submitted by Princess Cruises as required by the CDC in response to a fail in the inspection; make of the report what you will, but despite all the turn of events afflicting Princess this year so far, panicking only makes it worse for myself, and I hope everyone going on a voyage soon can continue to stay informed and educated without panicking and enjoy their cruise.

In terms of a re-inspection as mandated by the CDC, Carnival Fantasy received the same failing score in July 2019 (and it also made the rounds), and was re-inspected three months later. So since Regal is not returning to America for a year after leaving this April, CDC will probably re-inspect it sometime before the transatlantic and we should get an update then. 

Regal Princess_5 February 2020 Corrective Report.pdf

Edited by snoozecrooze

15 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

Wow, If you read this report you may never go on this ship. I’m happy the CDC checks on all the cruise lines.

I never knew how many violations they find. Keep up the good work CDC. 
Tony

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Wow, If you read this report you may never go on this ship. I’m happy the CDC checks on all the cruise lines.

I never knew how many violations they find. Keep up the good work CDC. 
Tony

Actually, I scrolled through it and there were lots of duplicate entries for the same issue.  Some of it seemed pretty benign, but I did get the impression that the managers/supervisors did not make sure everything was ship-shape for the inspection.  However, if the report is an indication of things on a day-to-day regular basis, then there is some concern.  I also began to think some things may have been an issue when the inspector came upon it, but might have been rectified by crew staff/mgmt soon enough from their own procedures.  Ir is a bit of a head-scratcher when the rest of the fleet does so well, including this same ship last time.  I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall at the senior staff meeting following publication of the report!!

I would expect a keel-hauling if this happened on The Rowboat.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Actually, I scrolled through it and there were lots of duplicate entries for the same issue.  Some of it seemed pretty benign, but I did get the impression that the managers/supervisors did not make sure everything was ship-shape for the inspection.  However, if the report is an indication of things on a day-to-day regular basis, then there is some concern.  I also began to think some things may have been an issue when the inspector came upon it, but might have been rectified by crew staff/mgmt soon enough from their own procedures.  Ir is a bit of a head-scratcher when the rest of the fleet does so well, including this same ship last time.  I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall at the senior staff meeting following publication of the report!!

I would expect a keel-hauling if this happened on The Rowboat.

Mr.G,

Excellent Punishment I will take it under advisement. 🤔  As I said before keep up the good work CDC. 

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Having being on the "Love Boat Vow Renewal" a week ago on the Regal, I didn't see any issues, but after reading through the violations report, I would have had to really put on the microscope to see the stuff they did.  Not saying the report is over the top, it is a list of things that need to be addressed and I'm sure they will or someone will be walking the plank as Lucky TGO suggests.

Some of these 'hits' really don't affect the PAX.  A number of repetitive hits are for minor discrepancies in report logs that the CDC wants to get.  I'd like to see what the 'true' score would be if one were to remove the points for purely administrative reports violations.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:04 AM, bluehengal said:

YIKES!!  Just as I am about to board the Regal, they scored the lowest, and failed, the recent health inspection on 2/5/20.  They scored a mere 77!!  

I hope Francesco Grasso is the food and beverage manager!