What our cabin attendant did. . . and it's not good

jkgourmet

Thinking that MSC is keeping all the DSC is totally idiotic.  A thing like that would not stay secret for long with 1500 crew members...think about it.  That would be a huge scandal for MSC that smacks of fraud and would put billions of dollars in ships and tens of thousands of jobs at risk.  

No...the cabin steward was trying a cunning ploy.  He has probably been successful at it before.  The facts are that the CS has found a method to rob his fellow crew members using the same rumors we see here when tips are discussed.  He probably reads Cruise Critics.  

I would handle this situation as follows:  The CS is clearly out of line and stealing money from the crew he works with.  If the crew ever found out about this the CS would be listed as missing at sea.  I would call for a private meeting with the Hotel Director.  You have to ask yourself...Is this an act by an individual or are there others involved with this?  I suspect your CS is not the only one who is using this ploy.  In any case, for the benefit of the crew, you should deal with this.  The crew is being robbed your CS is a thief and you are remaining silent?  Believe me...if this ploy becomes known to the Hotel Director it will cease.  Let the Hotel Director deal with this.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thinking that MSC is keeping all the DSC is totally idiotic.  A thing like that would not stay secret for long with 1500 crew members...think about it.  That would be a huge scandal for MSC that smacks of fraud and would put billions of dollars in ships and tens of thousands of jobs at risk.  

No...the cabin steward was trying a cunning ploy.  He has probably been successful at it before.  The facts are that the CS has found a method to rob his fellow crew members using the same rumors we see here when tips are discussed.  He probably reads Cruise Critics.  

I would handle this situation as follows:  The CS is clearly out of line and stealing money from the crew he works with.  If the crew ever found out about this the CS would be listed as missing at sea.  I would call for a private meeting with the Hotel Director.  You have to ask yourself...Is this an act by an individual or are there others involved with this?  I suspect your CS is not the only one who is using this ploy.  In any case, for the benefit of the crew, you should deal with this.  The crew is being robbed your CS is a thief and you are remaining silent?  Believe me...if this ploy becomes known to the Hotel Director it will cease.  Let the Hotel Director deal with this.  

I'm not the police, attorney general, prosecutor, et al.  Nor am I the jury.

IF I WERE, I would need considerably more facts than I currently have.  

So - I'm not going to play judge AND jury in this.  I'm going home with a bad taste in my mouth about THIS episode.  And the knowledge that because I did not KNOW the facts, I caused no harm

10 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

I'm not the police, attorney general, prosecutor, et al.  Nor am I the jury.

IF I WERE, I would need considerably more facts than I currently have.  

So - I'm not going to play judge AND jury in this.  I'm going home with a bad taste in my mouth about THIS episode.  And the knowledge that because I did not KNOW the facts, I caused no harm

I read through this thread and was alarmed at the laissez faire attitude of the impact of causing another to lose their livelihood over this type of situation. Thanks for not being one of them. Yes, he is taking advantage of a client market known for being heavy tippers. The American habit of over tipping has caused problems all over the tourist world and anywhere in the tourist market there will be those who try their luck.

I am sure you were side swiped, but did you consider telling them the potential harm they were doing? The knowledge someone could report them and he lose his job...and is most likely going to lose any tip, may get him to back off and realize his guaranteed money through employment is better than the risk. This allows you to state the consequences of his actions on yours and his relationship. These are facts you do know and can act upon, and perhaps the action will temper that bad taste and feeling of having been backed into a corner. Most of us don't like conflict, but a well phrased conversation can be rewarding and allow one to move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He sounds like a scammer. I would be very upset if he did this to us. Sorry this happened to you OP. I would report it to the hotel director the last night of the cruise...or by written email to msc after the cruise if you dont want to deal with anymore awkward situations on your vacation.

1 hour ago, mef_57 said:

I read through this thread and was alarmed at the laissez faire attitude of the impact of causing another to lose their livelihood over this type of situation. Thanks for not being one of them. Yes, he is taking advantage of a client market known for being heavy tippers. The American habit of over tipping has caused problems all over the tourist world and anywhere in the tourist market there will be those who try their luck.

I am sure you were side swiped, but did you consider telling them the potential harm they were doing? The knowledge someone could report them and he lose his job...and is most likely going to lose any tip, may get him to back off and realize his guaranteed money through employment is better than the risk. This allows you to state the consequences of his actions on yours and his relationship. These are facts you do know and can act upon, and perhaps the action will temper that bad taste and feeling of having been backed into a corner. Most of us don't like conflict, but a well phrased conversation can be rewarding and allow one to move on.

I wouldnt have this sort of conversation unless I was packed up and on my way out.  I dont know this guy.  I dont know MSC's employee vetting process.  What I know is that he felt comfortable cornering me in international waters where he has unrestricted access to my room (and me during sleeping hours) and belongings.  I wouldnt be comfortable with him thinking anything other than I am outraged for him until I was on my way out.

The whole tipping thing has gotten really sucky IMO.  It used to be you just handed an envelop to the people that you felt deserved it.  I liked that system well enough.  Then it became that too many people were stiffing the staff and so we couldnt be trusted to do that so it will be added on to your room charges but dont worry those monies go to the staff.  At some point that morphed into the monies being split among the staff but we wont tell you who.  Now there are those that say some of the money is being held for things like travel funds and parties and the remainder is distributed to the staff..  But who to believe?

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, aprilF said:

I wouldnt have this sort of conversation unless I was packed up and on my way out.  I dont know this guy.  I dont know MSC's employee vetting process.  What I know is that he felt comfortable cornering me in international waters where he has unrestricted access to my room (and me during sleeping hours) and belongings.  I wouldnt be comfortable with him thinking anything other than I am outraged for him until I was on my way out.

The whole tipping thing has gotten really sucky IMO.  It used to be you just handed an envelop to the people that you felt deserved it.  I liked that system well enough.  Then it became that too many people were stiffing the staff and so we couldnt be trusted to do that so it will be added on to your room charges but dont worry those monies go to the staff.  At some point that morphed into the monies being split among the staff but we wont tell you who.  Now there are those that say some of the money is being held for things like travel funds and parties and the remainder is distributed to the staff..  But who to believe?

I just wanted to note there was a middle ground between doing nothing and feeling used and getting the guy fired. Choose whatever time and place.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 7:11 PM, sidari said:

BB ... On our Xmas cruise on Meraviglia the CD Gene Young came into the Panama dining room and urged guests via the P.A system to give the dining room staff 10 out of 10 ! Red tag to a Bull comes to mind.

It is one thing for the staff themselves to ask but the CD coming begging whilst people are eating is beyond a joke, this is not the MSC way but more imported nonsense from the other cruise lines.

🤢🤢🤢

I think he was taking quite a risk in speaking to a passenger without knowing what the reaction would be.

It reminds me of a time when a casual acquaintance was bragging to our club members about not declaring his income as a roofer. We live in a government town, many of us are civil servants, and any one of us could have been employed by our revenue department.

It's hard to know if he was acting alone or if it has become a common practice among the staff. Either way, it would certainly make me feel uncomfortable.

To sum it up..

1) Cabin attendant is aware of conditions of contract with MSC , including wages & tips.

2) Cabin attendant made a bad decision by talking with a passenger about DSC.

3) Cabin attendant advised passenger to

remove DSC.

4) Cabin attendant asked passenger to pay

gratuity directly to him.

5) Cabin attendant violated multiple paragraphs

of MSC company policies.

... Cabin Attendant needs to be reported.

... Cabin attendant is responsible of breach of

contract with MSC and has to face

consequences.

... MSC needs to apply disciplinary actions

against Cabin Attendant and evaluation of

possible termination of contract.

* This is my personal opinion. This is not

legal advise. I am not a lawyer. *

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

I think my earlier posts explained how and why we handled it.

The Mera Feb 16 departure.

it’s rather easy to be sitting at home, writing a post about how one should react to a difficult situation.  You had to deal with it.  I’m sure Karma will eventually catch up with this man.  Hope the rest of your cruise goes well.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, agnesd said:

I definitely agree with you.  What happens if you don't give him the extra gratuity. No one knows he asked for it and I would be afraid of the consequences.  I would report it and ask for another attendant.  Anyone who would "shake you down" it shady at the least.  Please let us know how you handled this. And what ship is this?

What consequences are you expecting? Do you except the cabin steward to be retaliatory? The man is just trying to make a few extra bucks, I really doubt he's going to get mad and try to "do" something to you. Especially since I've never left an extra tip until the morning of my last day, by the time the steward finds out he got an extra nothing, you would be off the ship.

• Like 3

OP, I think you did the right thing by just posting here.  I do believe MSC reads these boards.  They will now be aware of the situation, and the fact that the vast majority of us agreed that it was unacceptable.

I sympathize that this put you in such an uncomfortable spot.  Way beyond "My wife at home has cancer" and the dreaded "We need all 10's to keep our jobs".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

OP, I think you did the right thing by just posting here.  I do believe MSC reads these boards.  They will now be aware of the situation, and the fact that the vast majority of us agreed that it was unacceptable.

I sympathize that this put you in such an uncomfortable spot.  Way beyond "My wife at home has cancer" and the dreaded "We need all 10's to keep our jobs".

This is so true.  I know for a fact that this will be brought to the attention of the Hotel Director onboard the Merry.  I know because I always make it a point to meet the HD and talk ships.  The MSC HD I last talked to told me they read these threads and posts religiously.  I also know that the main office in Fll is also reading this.

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

But which cabin steward out of a large housekeeping staff group? General info is as good as no info. A direct complaint to MSC is the only way to go to weed out the bad apple.

34 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

But which cabin steward out of a large housekeeping staff group? General info is as good as no info. A direct complaint to MSC is the only way to go to weed out the bad apple.

If MSC really wanted to know they could message the OP.  I would expect that the Hotel Director will be addressing this issue with the staff.   

49 minutes ago, Nashna said:

If MSC really wanted to know they could message the OP.  I would expect that the Hotel Director will be addressing this issue with the staff.   

Except private messaging is disabled on cruise critic.

Frankly, I very much doubt anybody from MSC is going to address the entire housekeeping staff because of one anonymous report.

1 hour ago, jkgourmet said:

... one anonymous report.

If you signed up for the Meet and Mingle with this username  MSC already knows who you are and thus who your cabin steward was.

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

I'd take it this way.

The steward was wrong, however, that he did this means "he really needs the money".\

I wouldn't report him; I'd give him a couple of extra dollars.

I'm happy I'm in the position to do this and I wouldn't judge or want to get him in trouble.

I know...you all think I'm wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Até said:

If you signed up for the Meet and Mingle with this username  MSC already knows who you are and thus who your cabin steward was.

After reading all this, this was my thought exactly. If the OP signed up for the Meet and Mingle, MSC has the information on who the cabin steward was. While the OP might not have thought they would harm the person, if they cross-reference the available information... the cabin steward will likely be terminated anyway. 😐