Roll calls on MSC cruises why so few people sign up

wwinfl91

Hi,

My wife and I are on MSC Meraviglia's trans Atlantic cruise leaving from Kiel on Sept 5 and I joined the roll call for that cruise. From both VTG and MSC web sites the ship is evidently filling up quickly (all the Yacht Class cabins are taken) and the ship holds over over 5500, but our roll call so far only has 28 cabins are represented. My question is from othe more experiecned MSC cruisers (this will be our first on MSC but my 46 cruise) are MSC roll calls just not very active. We were on a Celebrity cruise last fall that had over 200 on the roll call. Anyway hoping we will enjoy Yacht club as much as we have suite class on Celebrity.

Have a great next cruise.

3 minutes ago, wwinfl91 said:

Hi,

My wife and I are on MSC Meraviglia's trans Atlantic cruise leaving from Kiel on Sept 5 and I joined the roll call for that cruise. From both VTG and MSC web sites the ship is evidently filling up quickly (all the Yacht Class cabins are taken) and the ship holds over over 5500, but our roll call so far only has 28 cabins are represented. My question is from othe more experiecned MSC cruisers (this will be our first on MSC but my 46 cruise) are MSC roll calls just not very active. We were on a Celebrity cruise last fall that had over 200 on the roll call. Anyway hoping we will enjoy Yacht club as much as we have suite class on Celebrity.

Similar question 

Keep in mind the multiple languages of European or international cruises on MSC as well as well as many travelers who have no clue Cruise Critic exists.

1 hour ago, wwinfl91 said:

Hi,

The international nature of the passengers, most of whom are not on CC is one reason.  Another reason is that most European MSC sailings have multiple embarkation and debarkation ports and dates.  We boarded our cruise in Kiel, but other boarded a day or 2 later in Copenhagen.  So even among the English speaking cohort it is a little difficult to get a roll call going because people generally identify by cruising dates.  

Thanks for all your answers. Our cruise evidently has 3 possible boarding ports, Kiel, Copenhagen and Southampton, which I'm sure confuses the issue. Also because many of the passengers on MSC are from Europe or at least not from the USA, I'm sure that also reduces the number who sign up even if they find Cruise Critic. We have been sailing on Celebrity recently and our roll calls have been running in the hundreds of people (over 200 cabins represented on our last cruise) and the small size of the roll call for this cruise when evidently it is close to filling up with 5500 people just surprised me.