Shareholder benefit as a minor

travelhound

Send in the request.  Then come back here and report to us.

My opinion is that the request will be OKed.  There is no requirement on the request form to give the requestor's age.  Make sure that the name on the ownership document that is submitted matches the daughter's name in the passenger info submitted to Princess.

My opinion notwithstanding, it's Princess' opinion that matters.

4 hours ago, travelhound said:

My dd is the only one with the shares (unless the shares tank bigtime and my dh's options get assigned). I know only one is allowed per cabin.

I thought at her age the stock would have to be in a custodial account with an adult listed.

It's in a trust and we are guardians but her name is listed as the "owner". I'll have to look to see if our names appear on documents too. That would make it a no brainer. We just bought it yesterday and my husband was trying to print docs this morning.

Whatever it says we'll send it in and see what happens.

Edited by travelhound
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, travelhound said:

OP back with a report. It worked! I faxed it on the way to the gym this morning and by the time I got back, it was already posted to our account. It's nice to have at least $100 back, since her stock has lost $2400 since Friday! 🙁

If she is a minor, and really owns the stock...

She should be able to declare the purchase void, and ask for her money back ... as minors aren't bound by contracts.

A local motor cycle dealer learned this when they sold a bike to a 17yo.

He crashed, went back to the dealer, and voided the purchase contract...

BTW. about two weeks ago, I had posted some comments about trouble for the stock price,

but I can no longer find the post here.

It's bought through a trust with an adult guardian, so I'm don't think we could cancel it. I don't think it's a long term tank, but it would have been a better value today! It's her college fund, so we won't be taking any out for at least 9 years.

Edited by travelhound

5 hours ago, travelhound said:

OP back with a report. It worked! I faxed it on the way to the gym this morning and by the time I got back, it was already posted to our account. It's nice to have at least $100 back, since her stock has lost $2400 since Friday! 🙁

Oh no. Good thing she has 9 more years to re-coup!

11 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

Minors can own stock outright. It's often under the Uniform Gift to Minors Act but they can hold directly. That way they don't have to be retitled when they come of age. Usually this is by gift or inheritance.

That's exactly what it is. My MIL gifts the grandchildren stock every year to the maximum yearly amount. It's held in a trust and we have trading authority but it can only be withdrawn for college/advanced education. Once that's over, they can get the remainder at certain age intervals.

If the stock keeps on it's current path, my husband and I may be owners too. We have a put in at $30, which was 30% below cost when we did it just a short time ago. Oh well...the gambling of the market. That's why we don't gamble on ships...we already do it at home.😀

Edited by travelhound

16 hours ago, rma2001 said:

I have been buying it over the last few days with the last 60 today. Tanking was good for me 🙂

Have been monitoring and I was waiting to buy at $35 but I saw reports that some analysts predict $21-$22 for the bottom.  It hit $32.39 earlier today for the 52-week low.  I'll buy at $34 if it starts to go back up but wait it out if it continues to tank.

Now it's actually going better than the market in general. I hope we don't get assigned but the out goes through January so we have a lot of ups and downs to live through until then. My daughter's exposure is enough for now. I just hope they don't cut the dividend or file for bankruptcy.

Bankruptcy, yes, I don't think it's going there. Cutting the dividend, CCL cut it to zero after the financial crisis and didn't restore it until 2017, so that's a real possibility.

I think this entire over reaction in the market and the press is extreme. Why is there not this response to the flu, which kills more than 10 times as many people each year? This isn't Ebola where you have a 5 or 10 percent chance of living. Hopping off the soap box.🙂