Star Breeze Still in Dry Dock Apparently

Spanky My

Anyone have any info when it will actually   leave and start sea trials or cruises? Been there for an extremely Long time . I heard why,  but anyone got a firm time when it will be actually ready?

Just checked current position and it is still there in dry dock.

Tough for those who might want to book cruises aboard .

2 hours ago, Spanky My said:

Actually I would prefer a CURRENT update not what was posted previously. That is why I posted this thread  🙂

Never mind. I like nice clean boards with one thread per topic so I don’t need to look four places. Others want something else. I need to learn to adapt. 

Edited by milepig

3 hours ago, Spanky My said:

Actually I would prefer a CURRENT update not what was posted previously. That is why I posted this thread  🙂

If you click on the blue circle or star to the left of the thread title, it will take you to the first post you haven't read.  No need to proliferate threads.  But in this case, the other thread titles don't really reflect dry dock completion, so you were probably right to start this.

The Breeze is scheduled for its first published cruise on May 25 out of Costa Rica, three months from now. It will take around three weeks to get there so unless something speeds things along it looks like another two months of work in Palermo. They just put the engines in but the asbestos mediation is kind of a wild card.

The Legend is next and I think it was scheduled to start about now but it is docked in Lisbon, waiting. Keep an eye on the Legend leaving Lisbon as a sign that things are moving along. 
What a shame for The company to have over 400 berths unavailable each week. A bigger shame is for the hundreds of crew which are out of jobs for months. Hopefully they will stick with Windstar rather than trying to get positions on other lines

• Like 1

I was on the last sail of the Legend. She is in Portugal being taken apart now while she is at wetdock. Everything that can be removed is coming out (we watched the railing caps coming off in crew deck areas during the crossing.) Everything will be stored in Portugal (cheaper than Italy) and then they'll sail the basically stripped ship to Palermo for her drydock. 

In the meantime, the Breeze will leave drydock and move onto wetdock while also testing out the engines. They expect she'll be cruising around doing sea trials while the cabins are being finished, etc. Then they'll pick up everything they stored from her and reassemble her (paintings back up, the library relocated to the Yacht Club shelves, knick knacks returned.) As she approaches completion, the crew and workers on board doing reassembly will be the 'passengers' to test out the flow at the restaurants, while the galley crew test out the kitchens.  

The Legend will be following the same wetdock/drydock/wetdock pattern (Pride as well.) We were told the Breeze is expected to be 11 weeks late, 6 for the Legend and only 3 for the Pride. They are learning from the Breeze and figuring out ways to make the other two rebuilds go quicker. It wasn't just asbestos that delayed the Breeze. I heard the plan to remove the engines needed to be reworked. 

• Like 1

Kate

Thanks for the insight you provided on what is going on with the refit on both ships.

We were last on the Legend for a b2b in mid January, our eighth  on the Legend. We are excited about the changes and now have two additional cruises  reserved in 2021 on the Breeze. We are anxious that however long  the refits take, hopefully all of the bugs are worked out, especially on the test vessel, the Breeze

And now Covid 19 is in Palermo. 

https://www.cityam.com/italy-coronavirus-sicily-case-confirmed-as-covid-19-moves-south/

It will be interesting to see how this affects the refits.

Will it delay the Breeze further if the city is put in lock-down as they have in northern  Italy?

Will Windstar move the Legend there? All officers and some crew remain assigned to the ship while it is in drydock so that means moving key personnel into an area with infection. They will not have a support system there if they end up in isolation.

I don't envy management's task at making decisions over this. 

Edited to add: I'm also sad that the people who served us so well, threading the needle between storms so that we all experienced the smoothest crossing ever, are now facing being moved into this 'storm'. Headlines take on a different feel when you actually know people who will be experiencing the story first hand....

Edited by CanadianKate

CanadianKate- Thanks for that update! I made final payment today on our 6/9 Breeze Cruise; I will def be watching as things progress and impacts due to Covid19. My heart also goes out to the Legend team and hoping if things do get worse, they’re taken care of and moved. 

We sailed the Legend in October and enjoyed every minute with the crew! Hopefully you got to meet Yogi in the Yacht Club and/ Amphora. I get a little crabby before coffee but that would all go away as soon as I’d see Yogi and that infectious smile of his. 😁

0EAFAE5E-FCB5-4B40-BFA6-A0C4DFE444A9.jpeg

• Like 2

Thank you Canadian Kate for your knowledgable post on the refits. The delay in the refits was bad enough, but now the company has to deal with the Corona virus as well. Being a longtime Windstar traveler, we wish only the best to this wonderful cruise line....in Seattle and aboard all of the ships. We are looking forward to being aboard the Surf next week, and many future voyages! 

Edited by 2LoveToTravel
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 12:02 PM, minidonuts85 said:

CanadianKate- Thanks for that update! I made final payment today on our 6/9 Breeze Cruise; I will def be watching as things progress and impacts due to Covid19. My heart also goes out to the Legend team and hoping if things do get worse, they’re taken care of and moved. 

We sailed the Legend in October and enjoyed every minute with the crew! Hopefully you got to meet Yogi in the Yacht Club and/ Amphora. I get a little crabby before coffee but that would all go away as soon as I’d see Yogi and that infectious smile of his. 😁

Geez. He's still there ? We don't have favorite be he was a classy and funny guy. We liked him.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 11:02 AM, minidonuts85 said:

oh. Yogi. One of our many favorites. Nice to see his smiling face. 

• Like 2

On 3/3/2020 at 7:50 PM, milepig said:

oh. Yogi. One of our many favorites. Nice to see his smiling face. 

Another fan of Yogi.  Boone was my favorite of all time though.  🙂 

• Like 1

I've read the Star Breeze is further delayed due to coronavirus. Current first 2 cruises in Central America are now cancelled. First one now is June 7, Puerto Vallarta to San Diego. We're booked on that cruise and are now concerned if it's another week late, our cruise is toast - and final payment is due Wednesday! My TA will check on things tomorrow.

I've read the Star Breeze is further delayed due to coronavirus. Current first 2 cruises in Central America are now cancelled. First one now is June 7, Puerto Vallarta to San Diego. We're booked on that cruise and are now concerned if it's another week late, our cruise is toast - and final payment is due Wednesday! My TA will check on things tomorrow.

Hi.. We’re on the 6/9 sailing too and there’s a couple others on the 6/1 sailing; we’ve been chatting on the Travel Assurance post. They’ve been told an announcement should be coming soon once they figure out compensation etc. Please do share what you find out from your TA. We aren’t fond of being the first sailing post-refurb and may voluntarily cancel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 5:50 PM, minidonuts85 said:

Hi.. We’re on the 6/9 sailing too and there’s a couple others on the 6/1 sailing; we’ve been chatting on the Travel Assurance post. They’ve been told an announcement should be coming soon once they figure out compensation etc. Please do share what you find out from your TA. We aren’t fond of being the first sailing post-refurb and may voluntarily cancel.

We did cancel back on the 11th (day final payment was due). Too iffy for us, given total shutdown in Italy due to coronavirus. Didn't want to lay out thousands, just to find out sometime later the cruise is cancelled and we'd get Future Cruise Credit. Here 2 weeks later, I'd bet $$ that June 9th cruise won't occur!

We did cancel back on the 11th (day final payment was due). Too iffy for us, given total shutdown in Italy due to coronavirus. Didn't want to lay out thousands, just to find out sometime later the cruise is cancelled and we'd get Future Cruise Credit. Here 2 weeks later, I'd bet $$ that June 9th cruise won't occur!

Same here. Looks like someone reported yesterday that they are extending the shipyard delays even further so it’s very likely it won’t happen anyway.