Departing from San Diego

Piper934

Looks like aiport and cruise terminal fairly close. What's the need to knows about terminal if any?

Any recommendations on hotels near the port or central location to see any sights the night before(what did you do when there?). Preferably one that offers shuttle to port or walking distance to.

Thanks in advance. 

Many hotels in the general area and quite a few are even within walking distance.  I like the Springhill suites/Residence Inn right across from the pier - new, very good service and nice free breakfast buffet.  The Wyndam (next door basically) is older, but more affordable, plus it has an airport shuttle.  Hampton Inn is also nearby and has a free shuttle and free breakfast.

MANY things to do nearby, aircraft carrier tour, Seaport Village for walking around and shopping, and the Maritime museum are all along the boardwalk.  San Diego zoo is a short taxi ride away and is excellent.  And of course, dine in nearby Little Italy!  Also good transportation options and I think a hop on bus.

• Thanks 1

We visit SD often and there is plenty to do in the downtown area.  We like the Gaslamp area and usually stay at the Hilton Gaslamp.  We also do the ES when HG is to expensive.  ES is cookie cutter and seems to always be under renovation.  If you want something really unique try the Andez.  It's got a great rooftop pool and bar.  

Unfortunately, our favorites aren't even close to walking distance to the pier.  Good news is everything is close to the pier and a short UBER or taxi ride.  The taxi from airport to Hilton Gaslamp with tip is $20.  

USS Midway is a must do if you like history.  The walking tour of Gaslamp called, "Brothels, Bites and Booze" is a great way to kill a couple of hours.  They do another one in Old Town called, "Tacos, Tombstones, and Tequila" we haven't done it but if it's like the BBB it will be great.  

A bay cruise is always fun.  If  it's Summer time you can do the "Happy Hour" cruise or just any bay cruise is fun.   

• Thanks 1

Since your post only discusses what to do the night before, I'll limit my responses to that.

A simple walk along the Embarcadero (waterfront) can be pleasant if it's nice out. Depending upon where you start, once you get as far north as the Star of India (iron-hulled sailing ship built in 1863) and the Maritime Museum, things get less interesting. Still a nice walk further north, just less to see. But from the Maritime Museum south is a nice walk. We've had good meals at "The Claim Jumper" restaurant near the Star of India.

The Gaslamp Quarter is another interesting area. Basically 4th & 5th Avenue's south of Broadway. About 8 blocks down to Harbor Drive and another 8 blocks back up. Lots of great restaurants there.

Be aware that if you stay at one of the hotels that front Pacific Highway (Hilton, Homewood, Residence, Hampton, etc), there are train tracks that run behind the hotels. Just ask for a room that is towards the front or faces the water.

Little Italy (another great area for dinner) runs down India St from about Beech St to Grape St (about 4 blocks).

Hope you enjoy your short visit to "America's Finest City". Come back for a longer stay some time. Summer runs from late June - December. May and early June are nice, but can be overcast from the marine layer (cloudy). What we call May Gray and June Gloom.

Edited by SDPadreFan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SDPadreFan said:

We've had good meals at "The Claim Jumper" restaurant near the Star of India.

Wow?   I would walk down to Seasons 54 before Claim Jumper.  I have had decent food at CJ, but with all the places to eat in downtown it wouldn't be my first choice.  But to each his own.  Buster's Beach House is good and sit outside for a great view to people watch.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Wow?   I would walk down to Seasons 54 before Claim Jumper.  I have had decent food at CJ, but with all the places to eat in downtown it wouldn't be my first choice.  But to each his own.  Buster's Beach House is good and sit outside for a great view to people watch.  

No doubt Seasons 52 is a great place as is Busters. My recommendations are based upon that they are flying in the day before a cruise. Hard to tell how tired or frustrated they might be after the flight. So my recommendations are based upon something within a reasonable walking distance. The walk to Busters or Seasons isn't necessarily far, but depending upon the hotel they choose, it could be anywhere from 3/4 of a mile to 1 1/4 miles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SDPadreFan said:

No doubt Seasons 52 is a great place as is Busters. My recommendations are based upon that they are flying in the day before a cruise. Hard to tell how tired or frustrated they might be after the flight. So my recommendations are based upon something within a reasonable walking distance. The walk to Busters or Seasons isn't necessarily far, but depending upon the hotel they choose, it could be anywhere from 3/4 of a mile to 1 1/4 miles.

All good points.  To make a true recommendation we do need to know where they want to stay.  Personally, I like the Gaslamp, which would bring into play Lou & Mickey's, Tin Fish and Toscana.  

Love Tin Fish in the summertime. We ate there just recently. But not so much if the Padres have a home game or Comic Con is in town. Never tried Lou & Mickey's but they have been there for a long time so they must be doing something right. One great thing about Tin Fish is that while they have a menu, they will prepare the fish anyway you want, not just the suggested menu. I pick my fish first and then get it blackened (cajun style).

Edited by SDPadreFan

• 2 weeks later...

Did you have a budget in mind? What is most important, convenience to the cruise port or a great hotel?

The combined Residence Inn/SpringHill Suites is directly across from the cruise port, as is the Intercontinental.

A bit further are very nice hotels, Hotel Republic (Marriott Autograph Collection) and Carte Hotel (Hilton Curio Collection).

My parents love La Pensione in Little Italy and the Best Western Plus Bayside is very popular for cruisers.