Vision Problems

haircut4u

Apologies for posting such an unusual Topic.

Over the past few years I have developed a vision problem which makes reading hard work.  However if I invert text to white on black (regardless of font size) I am back to 20/20 and life becomes bearable again.
However, in saying that, cruising is becoming a problem.  Fortunately HAL has an app which enables me to read everything (incl.Menus) on my iPad and Princess also has their app which helps albeit no menu availability. Does their new Medallion have Menu accessibility on them?
I have just disembarked from a Cunard cruise and as they do not have an app I had great difficulty reading the Daily Programs and missed out on a lot of things.

Is anyone aware of any other Lines that has an app which would help solve my vision problem?
With thanks, Garry

Link above won't help at all - that's for turning orientation of letters backwards rather than inverting colours!

Simplest way to deal with this is to use the tech you already take on vaycay @haircut4u - take a photo of the daily patter, menu etc. with your tablet! If whatever method you're using to invert colours only works with limited file formats you may need the extra step of converting your photo to a compatible format, or running Optical Character Recognition software to turn the image into discrete letters, but you might find that tweaking your screen contrast/zooming in some helps enough for you to read the documents. There are plenty of free OCR options for your iPad, just Search for OCR or 'text scanner' on the Apple store.

23 hours ago, haircut4u said:

Over the past few years I have developed a vision problem which makes reading hard work.  However if I invert text to white on black (regardless of font size) I am back to 20/20 and life becomes bearable again.

Hi Garry

This is an interesting condition.  It put me in mind of a young lad I know across the road from me who suffered with dyslexia.

Changing text and background colours is one of the ways dyslexia sufferers can read things easier.

So maybe their solutions might work for you too.

One of the things they do is get hold of an A4 coloured acetate sheet.   The specific colour depends on the person but I think but they are readily available in a wide variety of colours.    It would probably be worth you picking a few up of various colours from your local craft shop and seeing how easy it is to read menus and newspapers etc through those sheets.

You may find that a specific colour helps greatly in which case you can then just carry a folded or rolled up sheet with you on your cruises.

Here's hoping

Best