Just for fun - Define the Polynesian Flu

aururab

This is a 'chronic' disease with no known cure of the constant withdrawal symptoms, just temporary relief with a repeat visit. However  .... once you leave again the symptoms return and intensify. It's sort of like what a drug user goes through, temporary relief but the need to increase the dosage to obtain relief once again. 

I'm up to 2 trips per year to keep the symptoms at bay  .... between the planning and actual trips I'm good  .... for now.

Missing the music, dancing, tastes and sights of FP and wishing you were there.

Working out how long it will take you to go back, reliving your wonderful experiences together there, rereading your PG travel journal,  sooo many things make up the Polynesian FLU! 

• 2 months later...

Our PG cruise was cancelled by PG because of the closure of French Polynesian ports. Our cruise was from Fiji to Bali, but the ship was going to be stuck in Papeete for the foreseeable future.

Since most other islands in the South Pacific that we would have stopped at were also closed to non-residents, it would not have been the cruise we wanted to take. I don't cruise to be on a ship. I cruise to see the ports of the world that the ship visits.

With a large future cruise credit for an itinerary that we cannot take using that credit since it's not offered again in the timeframe we need,  we are doing the best we can with our rebooking. We definitely expect to enjoy it if French Polynesia is accessible next year.

While I'm not positive in my feelings for Ponant, I still hope for the PG being there in the future since I would love to go to French Polynesia one more time. If they go under, the huge financial loss we would experience from our cancelled cruise would not allow us to afford to go there again.

16 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

PG/Ponant should be just fine moving forward. The crew is still on-board awaiting future cruises once the green light is given form the FP government. 

This is good to hear, TBK. Given their recent poor decisions, I was worried that Ponant might just wash their hands of the PG and let it fail rather than give any refunds. I sure hope you are right as we want this Dream cruise so badly.

Was really hoping our 4 July cruise would happen but that’s looking less likely now. We shall see...

On 5/10/2020 at 10:02 AM, Hutchinj said:

This is good to hear, TBK. Given their recent poor decisions, I was worried that Ponant might just wash their hands of the PG and let it fail rather than give any refunds. I sure hope you are right as we want this Dream cruise so badly.

Was really hoping our 4 July cruise would happen but that’s looking less likely now. We shall see...

Buying my airfare for next year .... next week. Going twice next year and enjoying the planning .... 

• 1 month later...

I think the Polynesian flu is a condition that makes one feel that everything is “too much trouble”. On a shore tour there , the guide was asked about th crime rate there. His response was “zero, too much trouble”. His response was he same for the divorce rate! I guess I caught this flu, as when I got home, I felt that almost everything was too much trouble. And I never recovered.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 12:42 PM, SWFLAOK said:

If they go under, the huge financial loss we would experience from our cancelled cruise would not allow us to afford to go there again.

Perhaps you should consider asking for a refund since they cancelled your cruise.  If/when they refuse, file a dispute with your credit card company (as are so many others).  Unless you can really afford to take the financial hit, and it doesn’t sound like it, you should be proactive about this.  Just my unsolicited opinion, of course.