Cruise Dock to City at New Zealand Ports?

patrickmoran

Wondering if there are buses from the docks to main tourist areas in various cities that we will visit next month?  If yes, is there a cost? Frequency? Any issues to be aware of to use them?

Port Chalmers to Dunedin

Wellington

Napier

Tauranga

Thanks

4 hours ago, patrickmoran said:

Wondering if there are buses from the docks to main tourist areas in various cities that we will visit next month?  If yes, is there a cost? Frequency? Any issues to be aware of to use them?

Port Chalmers to Dunedin

Wellington

Napier

Tauranga

Thanks

In Wellington, free shuttles take passengers from the ship into the city.

Port Chalmers - there are local buses which are scheduled hourly -

https://www.orc.govt.nz/public-transport/dunedin-buses/check-your-timetables/14-port-chalmers-city

Napier - shuttles into town - free also I believe

Tauranga - we had a tour booked so didn't take notice of what other passengers were doing. Possibly a local bus or taxi.

Leigh

We visited these ports this month with Oceania Regatta and agree with possum52 with the following additions:

• Napier - complimentary shuttles to/from the i-Site Visitor Centre (right across from main street) and a second stop at the National Aquarium which is approximately 15 mins walk from i-Site;  beautiful seaside promenade to walk joins both shuttle stops.
  • Wellington - complimentary shuttles were very slow (every 30 mins) when returning to the ship - the 2nd (last) stop close to the Te Papa Museum was full to capacity from the 1st stop so we opted to take a taxi back to the ship as we had already waited 30 mins for the full bus; taxi was 10 mins drive to to Port gate where you then take a complimentary Port drive to your ship 5 mins away.
  • Tauranga - ship docked very close to town; it was approximately 10 mins walk to ship from the main street.

8 hours ago, possum52 said:

In Wellington, free shuttles take passengers from the ship into the city.

Port Chalmers - there are local buses which are scheduled hourly -

https://www.orc.govt.nz/public-transport/dunedin-buses/check-your-timetables/14-port-chalmers-city

Napier - shuttles into town - free also I believe

Tauranga - we had a tour booked so didn't take notice of what other passengers were doing. Possibly a local bus or taxi.

Leigh

There will be shuttle buses from Port Chalmers also, not free though. I'm not sure what they cost. Please don't use the local buses as they are being swamped by cruise ship passengers who are making it hard for locals to go to work, school, shopping etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Tauranga - ship docked very close to town; it was approximately 10 mins walk to ship from the main street.

Cruises ships dock at the Mount Maunganui wharf, so what you're describing is Mount Maunganui town centre. Tauranga city centre is 7km away on the other side of the harbour.

• Like 3

On 2/24/2020 at 11:12 AM, erewhon said:

In Napier you will need to take government issued photo ID with you as it will be checked by security at the port gates, when returning to the ship. 

In our experience this applied in Tauranga & Dunedin

We were in Port Chalmers on Saturday traveling on the Solstice.  The buses were available right At the cruise port.  They were $15. One way to Dunedin, or $20 return.   Dropped you and picked up right downtown.  Cash only, they accepted Any currency,  but still $20, so best to have New Zealand.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 8:52 PM, Rassa said:

Are there shuttles at Auckland port taking people to the airport?

I doubt it, although maybe a local can tell you if there's a bus or train near the port (which is right downtown) that you can take if your luggage is light.  Auckland airport is quite a distance from downtown Auckland.  From my experience, very few ports/cities offer shuttles to their airports.  We usually plan on taking a taxi.  I'm guessing that in Auckland you will need to take a taxi (usually plenty of them at the ports in most large cities) or if available, arrange for pickup by an Uber/Lyft/local ride share company/private car.

Edited by roothy123

• 9 months later...

Tauranga  -- found the walk around Mount Maunganui one of the cruise highlights! Plus there's plenty of people renting out kayaks between the ship & the mount. Dirt cheap (December 2019 -- no idea what it'll cost once I can get back there December 2021)