Windstar First Timers

amunhbuu

5 hours ago, pebbles1102 said:

I am going on my very first Windstar cruise next February.  I will be on the pride for the San Juan to San Juan sailing.  I am so excited to try Windstar.  I have only been on the mass market lines(carnival, royal Caribbean and NCL)  until now.

After Windstar you will not want to go back to mass market cruises!

After about 40 mass market cruises we have not set foot on one of their boats since our first Windstar.  Also love Uniworld in Europe.  Our 5th Windstar in November!

Second seating

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Second seating said:

After Windstar you will not want to go back to mass market cruises!

After about 40 mass market cruises we have not set foot on one of their boats since our first Windstar.  Also love Uniworld in Europe.  Our 5th Windstar in November!

Second seating

I second thatSecond Seating.  We did 5 on Celebrity, which is not too bad but once we boarded Windstar, there was no turning back. Our upcoming Wind Surf cruise will be our 9th.  It’s exactly what we are looking for: relaxed, unstuffy, laid back atmosphere with great service, great ports and amazing food.  Enjoy

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Misty Morning said:

I second thatSecond Seating.  We did 5 on Celebrity, which is not too bad but once we boarded Windstar, there was no turning back. Our upcoming Wind Surf cruise will be our 9th.  It’s exactly what we are looking for: relaxed, unstuffy, laid back atmosphere with great service, great ports and amazing food.  Enjoy

Agreed!  While we don't cruise nearly as often as many others, we know that we'll never cruise on a mass market ship again.  We expect to stray from Windstar to AMA for some river cruises, and to National Geographic/Lindblad for Antarctica, but otherwise we have found the perfect niche with Windstar.   Elegant but not formal, casual but not sloppy, and the perfect size to be able to meet new people with similar interests while still enjoying quiet time alone.

• Like 1

We are usually pretty happy no matter what the line is, but we are pretty laid back.  I will say that our last four cruises on the Celebrity Summit have been in suites, which has spoiled us quite a bit compared to the "standard" offering.  There are only 50 suite cabins on that ship, which gets you access to suite only areas and higher recognition from staff.

We are certainly looking forward to the change of a small ship.  But more just looking forward to being on vacation!!

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but one thing I like about the Windstar power boats (haven't been on the sail boats) is that the rooms/suites are all the same decent size except for a few (4?) bigger suites. No insides, everyone has a big window, no real balconies, very egalitarian. LOL

We also are not big cruisers. Tried two Princess ships and enjoyed them, but always felt we had to look for a comfortable space. We bypassed the loud lounges and the dining rooms that charged extra. On Windstar, we enjoy all of the public areas. Okay, one time the entertainer in Compass Rose was too loud for conversation, but we don't really need entertainment. 😁

I agree with ducklite. "Elegant but not formal, casual but not sloppy..." We were Compass Rose regulars, but I know there was a Star Bar crowd, too. On our first voyage, when they had the Yacht Club party (for returning guests), we hung out with a bunch of other newbies and had a blast...

13 minutes ago, O2B@Cagain said:

We were Compass Rose regulars, but I know there was a Star Bar crowd, too.

We are definitely part of the Star Bar crowd on the Motor Yachts.  Last November on our BTB cruise in Caribbean, I don't recall having a drink in the Compass Rose once except Talent show.  If the weather is nice (and it was), I'd much rather be sitting outside than inside.  On sailing ships we hang around pool bar and Compass Rose (outside) as there is no Star Bar equivalent on Wind Surf  or maybe the Terrace Bar, which was never staffed and used by smokers, is now more active since expanding the number of cabins and staff.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Misty Morning said:

We are definitely part of the Star Bar crowd on the Motor Yachts.  Last November on our BTB cruise in Caribbean, I don't recall having a drink in the Compass Rose once except Talent show.  If the weather is nice (and it was), I'd much rather be sitting outside than inside.  On sailing ships we hang around pool bar and Compass Rose (outside) as there is no Star Bar equivalent on Wind Surf  or maybe the Terrace Bar, which was never staffed and used by smokers, is now more active since expanding the number of cabins and staff.

We had fabulous weather in the Sea of Cortez last Oct and hung mainly at the Star Bar as well even after dinner. Best sunset spotting! 

Unlike our past observations, the Terrace Bar on the Surf was actually staffed during the evening with cigars and drink service on our last sailing. 

A4EC888F-9764-48FE-AF34-4923E33FCE13.jpeg

2 hours ago, amunhbuu said:

We are usually pretty happy no matter what the line is, but we are pretty laid back.  I will say that our last four cruises on the Celebrity Summit have been in suites, which has spoiled us quite a bit compared to the "standard" offering.  There are only 50 suite cabins on that ship, which gets you access to suite only areas and higher recognition from staff.

We are certainly looking forward to the change of a small ship.  But more just looking forward to being on vacation!!

Having sailed in One bedroom suites twice on Disney and the Royal Suite on RCCL, I understand being spoiled.  We had some apprehension about booking our first Windstar cruise in a small cabin.  We were delighted with the efficient layout and never felt cramped.  We also had no need to get away from the masses by escaping to our cabin.  Just the opposite.  We found so many wonderful spaces on the ship with no one else around.  No crowds, no lines, no loud music at the pool, belly flop or hairy chest  contests, etc. 

You won't need higher recognition from the staff, because everyone is treated superbly.  At breakfast every morning I had my tea in front of me as I was sitting down, and by day two the bartenders anticipated our drink order.  

• Like 1