worried about 2021 Asian cruises

merlot101

Yes, we’re in the same circumstance.  We’re booked for The Best of Asia, 59 days beginning next March.  Obviously, we don’t know what the circumstances will be a year from now, but we’re considering cancelling that cruise.  We were already a bit wary because Regent cancelled the ports in China on this year’s cruises long before the virus happened, and we would have probably cancelled next year’s cruise if they cancelled the China ports again.  We do have until Oct to make a final decision, but, at the moment, we’re leaning toward cancelling. 

We are on the first 42 nights of the same cruise in 2021. At the moment, I think it is much too early to start worrying and thinking about canceling. Since you are in the US, you have until early October to cancel your cruise with only an administrative penalty that you can apply to a future cruise. You have plenty of time to let events play out before seriously considering canceling your cruise.  I think the best philosophy here is to not worry about things you cannot control. Let Alfred E Neuman be your guide.  😀

As for health issues next year, other than some strain of the influenza virus, it is impossible to tell at this time. The COVID–19 coronavirus or some mutated version of it may or may not still be around. Things may be back to normal or there may be a new epidemic that is unknown at this time. By this Autumn, health authorities should have a better feel for the situation next Spring.

Relax and enjoy anticipating the cruise.

Dave

1 hour ago, merlot101 said:

We are scheduled for the 60 day Asian trip in 2021.  What are the chances that there will still be health issues a year from now?

Anyone else worried and thinking of canceling?

As to the question, how could anyone answer that?  As to the second, yes, it's worrying.  We are on next year's world cruise and final payment is in July.  If the virus is still endemic them, we will have to consider.  But I also believe that Regent would keep us out of harm's way and re-route us appropriately, as they have done with this year's WC.  That might not impact a world cruiser as much as someone who is doing a segment or two.  Missing Asia, for us, would be disappointing, not devastating, since we're really only hitting Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1

We are also going to Asia next year but feel that it is too early to think about the coronavirus lasting that long (not everything we read is true but I've read that it could last into next year ....... but it could stop spreading when the warmer weather begins.)  In the U.S., a vaccine has already been developed (amazingly fast) but will need to be tested on animals before people and that will take a year.  There are some countries that are able to develop and go through the approval process much faster.  

Israel is one country with amazing healthcare and are quite advanced.  They could possibly have a vaccine ready in a matter of months.  We'll be there later this year and, if the immunization is available, we'll definitely take advantage of it.  

A few minutes ago I read that cruise prices are going down and airline prices are going up.  We may see a lot of changes in 2020!

I've read with luck a vaccine may enter Phase 1 testing this year.  But, even with the greatest of luck and under emergency guidelines, a vaccine passed all trials within incredibly quick success, the question might be how quickly could production be ramped up.  Look at Shingrex and how difficult it was to find during its first year of broad availability.  And only 'older' people really wanted Shingrex.  And sure wasn't cheap either, even with insurance.

Honestly, my question for those hopping on cruise ships to anywhere - what contingencies are those travelers making 'just in case' - of quarantine, or difficulties finding flights back to home airports, quarantine on arrival to home country, etc.  As far as I know, with new CDC travel guidance, at least the US government will not  be organizing extractions for casual travelers.  

I have no real horse in this game - I was researching a cruise vacation as I've recently retired and thought it would be a great adventure.  Now - totally off the radar at least for the next few years.  I will still fly, but no ships for me.

Also, I assume everyone here has seen the lockdown in Italy?  https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-nw-coronavirus-spread-europe-20200222-ssxei53tkjfetmve45yvt4in6q-story.html

Edited by greykitty

greykitty - In my opinion, flying has always had more risk of illness than cruise ships (unless people are quarantined on the cruise ship as was the case with the Diamond Princess.) I believe that a lot was learned from that debacle.  I was proud to see the U.S. removing their passengers from the ship (albeit a bit late) and watched as other countries followed suit.  If this should occur again, I am confident that the cruise ship will not be stuck with sick passengers for days on end.

NOTE:  Be careful what you spray in the air vents on the airplane.  Several years ago, an actor whose name you would know, sprayed something in the vents.  It went into the pilot area and they were so concerned by the odor that they landed the plane.  This caused many passengers to miss connections (including us).  Really hope that he was strongly reprimanded.

I am much more comfortable being on a Regent ship than being on an airplane and am thankful that our next cruise embarks only 2 1/2 hours from there airport that we use.  

When a country states the number of cases of coronavirus they have, consider how many people live in that country.  Even China - where all of this started - the percentage of the population that has been affected is low (but higher than the rest of the world).

At this point, I feel that it is best to not even think about next year as it is 10 months away.  Anything can happen in that timeframe.  Just a couple of months ago, people were concerned about sailing in the Middle East.  Now, no one even mentions that part of the world.  At one point in recent years, Regent (and other cruise lines) stopped going to Turkey.  Now we can sail there again.    We all could easily become "nutzy coo-coo" if we escalate what is happening in our minds.

I am not even worried about cancelling any of our booked cruises.  Regent has shown that they will refund your cruise fare if they need to cancel a cruise.  

It seems that people are so worried that there was more interest in the "coronavirus" thread that the thread about the maiden voyage of Splendor.  IMHO, this seems backwards.  Many Regent travelers are elderly and do not need to get high blood pressure or a heart attack worrying about what will happen next year.  

P.S.  Have to ask if you have a gray kitty?  We find gray kitties to be beautiful (and we find black kitties to be so as well).

Edited by Travelcat2

14 hours ago, Eno-Bob said:

Yes, we’re in the same circumstance.  We’re booked for The Best of Asia, 59 days beginning next March.  Obviously, we don’t know what the circumstances will be a year from now, but we’re considering cancelling that cruise.  We were already a bit wary because Regent cancelled the ports in China on this year’s cruises long before the virus happened, and we would have probably cancelled next year’s cruise if they cancelled the China ports again.  We do have until Oct to make a final decision, but, at the moment, we’re leaning toward cancelling. 

The cancellation of Chinese ports last year for this year’s cruises had nothing to do with Covid19 and whilst, of course, no-one knows for sure what is going to happen with the virus or indeed anything else, there is no certainty that Regent will cancel Chinese ports again. 

We have 48 nights booked on Explorer in Nov. 2021 from Tokyo to Sydney.  My wife (not exactly an optimist) has also worried.  She's worried about about our 39 nights from Montreal to Dublin in June on Navigator.  I've tried to tell her that at this time, Montreal to Dublin isn't exactly the "coronavirus capital" of the world and I'm fairly confident that Navigator will remain Coronavirus free.  

As for Asia in Nov. 2021?  Well, that's over a year and a half away.  IMHO if coronavirus isn't contained by then,  we will have a lot more to worry about than going on a cruise.  I wouldn't worry at this point.  Especially those on our cruise since it's so far down the road.  I wouldn't even consider anything like a virus this far out.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, merlot101 said:

We are scheduled for the 60 day Asian trip in 2021.  What are the chances that there will still be health issues a year from now?

Impossible to say.

Similarly, it is impossible to predict whether there will be natural disasters, conflict, terrorism, civil unrest or other epidemics that might affect travel arrangements anywhere in the world in the future.

18 hours ago, merlot101 said:

Anyone else worried and thinking of canceling?

No, we are booked on a cruise in Asia in Spring 2021 and are looking forward to it. 

Having had a cruise curtailed this year we hope that future issues, or fear of issues, will not disrupt our plans next year.

We are also booked on the 60 day cruise next March. I agree that there is plenty of time to make a decision by October. The only change we are making is keeping Regent air for now. Normally we fly on points and would be looking at lining up flights soon.