Herculaneum or Pompeii

lackcreativity

12 hours ago, Jasalth said:

I don't know if you will see this but reading here I value your advise a lot cruisemom! 

Our Europe cruise was canceled for September, but I won't be able to find out until June at the earliest if our airfare is canceled. Because of that I was doing the basic plannings of a land trip. I couldn't find any place I was really happy with in Pompeii itself to stay with online searching. So may I ask where you are staying and how do you like it?

Thanks! 

I have stayed twice at the Hotel Forum and I would definitely recommend it. They are just completing (or probably have completed by now) a renovation that has updated their rooms. I stayed in one of these updated rooms when I was there in February and it was done to quite a nice standard.  You can't beat the location with regard to the Pompeii site itself (the entrance by the amphitheater is just across the street), and the hotel includes a nice breakfast.  It is also convenient to walking into the town square in the evening where there are a number of restaurants from inexpensive to one with a Michelin star.  

There is not a lot of parking that I could see for hotel guests -- if you will have a car, I would be sure to ask about that with the hotel directly.  There's not any real drawbacks I can think of -- perhaps to say it is not terribly close to the train station -- a longish walk with luggage or a short taxi ride.

Hope this helps. Are you staying in Pompei for just a night, or longer?  If you are planning to spend some time in the Campania area, this hotel would make a nice base for a few days of exploring -- close to many other sites, whether you are driving or going by train, including Herculaneum, Oplontis, Sorrento, and Naples itself.

Edited by cruisemom42

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have stayed twice at the Hotel Forum and I would definitely recommend it. They are just completing (or probably have completed by now) a renovation that has updated their rooms. I stayed in one of these updated rooms when I was there in February and it was done to quite a nice standard.  You can't beat the location with regard to the Pompeii site itself (the entrance by the amphitheater is just across the street), and the hotel includes a nice breakfast.  It is also convenient to walking into the town square in the evening where there are a number of restaurants from inexpensive to one with a Michelin star.  

There is not a lot of parking that I could see for hotel guests -- if you will have a car, I would be sure to ask about that with the hotel directly.  There's not any real drawbacks I can think of -- perhaps to say it is not terribly close to the train station -- a longish walk with luggage or a short taxi ride.

Hope this helps. Are you staying in Pompei for just a night, or longer?  If you are planning to spend some time in the Campania area, this hotel would make a nice base for a few days of exploring -- close to many other sites, whether you are driving or going by train, including Herculaneum, Oplontis, Sorrento, and Naples itself.

Thanks much! That was one of 2 hotels I was slightly interested in Pompeii with the other being Bosco de Medici. Or staying in Naples. 

No cars for us alas. While I am not against my husband driving in Italy and as we both drive stick shifts in the US as it is, the amount of horror stories about car rentals, well anywhere makes me not want to do it. We would be traveling by train everywhere. Plan was 3 nights in the region, 1 hanging out after our train for the night/evening, 1 for Pompeii and then 1 day for Vesuvius/Herculaneum.

Who knows if we are actually allowed to go yet, but I appreciate the advice!  

15 hours ago, Jasalth said:

Thanks much! That was one of 2 hotels I was slightly interested in Pompeii with the other being Bosco de Medici. Or staying in Naples. 

No cars for us alas. While I am not against my husband driving in Italy and as we both drive stick shifts in the US as it is, the amount of horror stories about car rentals, well anywhere makes me not want to do it. We would be traveling by train everywhere. Plan was 3 nights in the region, 1 hanging out after our train for the night/evening, 1 for Pompeii and then 1 day for Vesuvius/Herculaneum.

Who knows if we are actually allowed to go yet, but I appreciate the advice!  

While I like Naples, I think it makes more sense to stay near Pompeii if your plan is to explore Pompeii and Herculaneum. 

...and I'm with you on driving in Italy. My one experience with a friend (I was not even the driver) convinced me. Never again!