Precruise night in San Fransisco - Hotel, transportation & genera advice needed

pdilme92

Hey all,

My wife and I are flying into SFO one day prior to our cruise leaving out of the port there and we were looking for suggestions on where to stay, how to get around & what to do.

The research i've done on here has me narrowed down to stay in the fisherman's warf area as its touristy and close to the ship & we want to do the Alcatrez tour. 

My questions are where (what hotel) should we stay at there? What is the best way to get to the hotel from SFO - Uber/public transportation etc? What else is fun to do around the area? Also the morning of the cruise should we plan to get an uber there or is it walking distance? 

I've seen both The Holiday Inn Express & Suites & The Hyatt Centric suggested. 

Thanks!!

TBH any of the major brand hotels down there will be the same, pick your price point and/or loyalty program.

Keeping it simple just taxi or Lyft/Uber to your Fisherman's Wharf hotel.  

You can take BART (subway) from the airport to downtown, but you still have to transfer to your hotel.  Now if you stay at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero, the BART station entrance is right next to it, but the hotel is not near Fisherman's Wharf.

From Fisherman's Wharf its about a mile and half (30+ minutes) walk along the Embarcadero,  broad sidewalk and flat.  

Edited by Philob

San Francisco is pretty compact so I wouldn't be hung up on staying close to anything specific.  Shop price, brand, and location.    We UBER whenever we go to the City for a weekend.  It's easy and quick.  We usually try to stay near Union Square or Financial District in a Hilton property and haven't stayed down by Fisherman's Wharf in years; so can't comment on anything down there.  

49 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Financial District

It shuts down at night and on weekends. Union Square is good. Also North Beach. Fisherman's Wharf is really nothing but tourists and tourists junk souvenirs. The Ferry Building is fun and Hog IslandOyster there is super.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We booked through Hotwire.  Right now the RIU Plaza is $159 a night.  If you are worried that the cruise might cancel, they have insurance that isn't expensive, at all.  We are still planning on cruising, God willing.

• 4 weeks later...

I usually check for location and prices thru Priceline or Hotels.com. Then I can see which hotels are close to FW. When I find the hotel I want , I’ll book direct with the hotel website or the hotel chain site. Using the frequent stay program ( only if free) can get you a discount and the hotel will have extras for members.