My first MSC sailing: a review (with video!)

elbodans

First--thank you to the many of you who answered my questions before we sailed! The input was greatly appreciated! 

So I sailed on the MSC Meraviglia two weeks ago--departing Miami on 2/2, which was also the Super Bowl in Miami, so THAT was fun! I had never been on MSC before and had some legit concerns. And so I recorded my thoughts on the experience and shared them on my (ad-free, I don't make any money on it) blog. 

If you are interested, here's that post: 

http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2020/02/20/thinking-of-sailing-on-msc-cruise-line-check-out-this-annoyingly-detailed-review-first/

I am also happy to answer any questions anyone may have, if I can. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi there, I was in our Roll Call with you and on the Feb 2nd sailing. I was wondering what you thought about the cruise. Glad to hear that you had a good time. I did as well.

Unfortunately, follks who arrived after you on Super Bowl Sunday, had a longer embarkation experience sadly. I arrived ready with patience for whatever might pop up.

I also found that the food was good which was in contrast to so many reviews on CC. But, food experience is quite subjective I've learned.

Sorry to hear that you felt that the ship was crowded. I had a different experience with that. Sure, on our two Sea Days people were everywhere. I guess I figured that the first Sea Day crowds were expected since it was the first full day on the ship and folks were out exploring and excited. During the cruise, I might have lucked out with just being in different places than the big crowds. Of course when shows let out, there were lots of people in the Galleria and for really popular events. But, I found opportunities to enjoy away from crowds. Like I enjoyed being on the main  pool deck in the evening. It was cool, not crowded, actually quiet at times since most people were inside enjoying dinner and entertainment. I was also able to enjoy ocean views during the cruise. Oh, sitting at the back of the ship, watching the wake, while eating food from the buffet was nice at times. Also, in the evenings it was quiet there. Peak times were harder to find seating of course. Oh, our second Sea Day, when the morning started out cool and windy, the main pool area was peaceful. Music wasnt loud that morning. People were held off by the weather I guess. I was able to peacefully enjoy a bed by the pool. The breeze was nice. Wasn't really busy until later. Maybe people were also enjoying the opportunity to sleep in, hahaha. I had a balcony and enjoyed spending time there as well. Watching the waves was so peaceful. 

This was also my first time on MSC and I plan to try a couple more of their ships when and if the price is as good as I was able to get for this one. This was a good introduction to MSC. The Meraviglia is a beautiful ship!

Glad you enjoyed Maya Chan! I enjoyed the beach in Honduras. 

Overall, very good cruise for the money. 🤗🛳🏖🌞

Happy cruising. 

P.S. I forgot to say that we were able to go to Ocean Cay during this sailing. Luckily weather cooperated so the ship could be docked. Yeah!

Edited by blueslily
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Nice review but where did you get $5000.00 per person for an inside YC stateroom? We did not even pay that for our upcoming Deluxe YC stateroom on the Seaside. 

If people believe the "$5K per person ", fewer people will look into booking the Yacht Club. Gotta keep demand down. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are so adorable! I loved everything about this review. Those considering mera will be well served to click the OPs link. You have a great writing style and your videos were clear and concise. I’m headed out on a girls trip next month on the seaside - a group of 8 of us that have been together since hs/university and you would fit right in! 

ps- I did a post about MSc passenger density last fall with stats, but I promise you that not all big ships will feel that crowded. One of the ways msc keeps pricing down is to decrease passenger space ratio. Mera is one of the most dense ships sailing. It’s cleArly a msc business strategy. Ironically, oasis class @ 240gt felt far less crowded than most of the ships I’ve sailed in the last 5 years (although she is crowded too). 

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

You are so adorable! I loved everything about this review. Those considering mera will be well served to click the OPs link. You have a great writing style and your videos were clear and concise. I’m headed out on a girls trip next month on the seaside - a group of 8 of us that have been together since hs/university and you would fit right in! 

ps- I did a post about MSc passenger density last fall with stats, but I promise you that not all big ships will feel that crowded. One of the ways msc keeps pricing down is to decrease passenger space ratio. Mera is one of the most dense ships sailing. It’s cleArly a msc business strategy. Ironically, oasis class @ 240gt felt far less crowded than most of the ships I’ve sailed in the last 5 years (although she is crowded too). 

If you don't mind, will you send a link for your post about passenger density on different ships. That would be great info. I would have direct messaged you, but folks say you can't do that here on CC. Thanks! 

13 hours ago, blueslily said:

If you don't mind, will you send a link for your post about passenger density on different ships. That would be great info. I would have direct messaged you, but folks say you can't do that here on CC. Thanks! 

I started a new thread and tagged you. I don't want to hijack the OP's review. Here you go 🙂

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I started a new thread and tagged you. I don't want to hijack the OP's review. Here you go 🙂

For some reason the mods deleted the thread. No clue why, as it's chalk full of useful information imo lol :). Perhaps if you start a new thread asking about the density of ships and I reply with the research I've done. Then perhaps the mods will allow it to stay since I"m answering a question. The whole thing was Weird.

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

For some reason the mods deleted the thread. No clue why, as it's chalk full of useful information imo lol :). Perhaps if you start a new thread asking about the density of ships and I reply with the research I've done. Then perhaps the mods will allow it to stay since I"m answering a question. The whole thing was Weird.

Thanks so much. I will try that option. 

On 2/24/2020 at 8:50 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Please hijack my review, as I also want to read your post! Thanks so much! 

On 2/23/2020 at 11:45 AM, cruisingator2 said:

Nice review but where did you get $5000.00 per person for an inside YC stateroom? We did not even pay that for our upcoming Deluxe YC stateroom on the Seaside. 

Sorry. I need to correct that to not read per person. On my sailing, the least expensive YC cabin was $3600 per person. As my cabin was $350 per person, that's ten times the cost--so my other math is wrong, where I state that I'd rather go on five cruises in steerage than one in YC. It's really ten to one! But yes, it was only $3,600pp rather than $5k. I will edit it. Still, way too rich for my blood!  

On 2/23/2020 at 10:00 AM, blueslily said:

Hi there, I was in our Roll Call with you and on the Feb 2nd sailing. I was wondering what you thought about the cruise. Glad to hear that you had a good time. I did as well.

Unfortunately, follks who arrived after you on Super Bowl Sunday, had a longer embarkation experience sadly. I arrived ready with patience for whatever might pop up.

I also found that the food was good which was in contrast to so many reviews on CC. But, food experience is quite subjective I've learned.

Sorry to hear that you felt that the ship was crowded. I had a different experience with that. Sure, on our two Sea Days people were everywhere. I guess I figured that the first Sea Day crowds were expected since it was the first full day on the ship and folks were out exploring and excited. During the cruise, I might have lucked out with just being in different places than the big crowds. Of course when shows let out, there were lots of people in the Galleria and for really popular events. But, I found opportunities to enjoy away from crowds. Like I enjoyed being on the main  pool deck in the evening. It was cool, not crowded, actually quiet at times since most people were inside enjoying dinner and entertainment. I was also able to enjoy ocean views during the cruise. Oh, sitting at the back of the ship, watching the wake, while eating food from the buffet was nice at times. Also, in the evenings it was quiet there. Peak times were harder to find seating of course. Oh, our second Sea Day, when the morning started out cool and windy, the main pool area was peaceful. Music wasnt loud that morning. People were held off by the weather I guess. I was able to peacefully enjoy a bed by the pool. The breeze was nice. Wasn't really busy until later. Maybe people were also enjoying the opportunity to sleep in, hahaha. I had a balcony and enjoyed spending time there as well. Watching the waves was so peaceful. 

This was also my first time on MSC and I plan to try a couple more of their ships when and if the price is as good as I was able to get for this one. This was a good introduction to MSC. The Meraviglia is a beautiful ship!

Glad you enjoyed Maya Chan! I enjoyed the beach in Honduras. 

Overall, very good cruise for the money. 🤗🛳🏖🌞

Happy cruising. 

P.S. I forgot to say that we were able to go to Ocean Cay during this sailing. Luckily weather cooperated so the ship could be docked. Yeah!

I was super happy to be able to dock at Ocean Cay! While the palm trees have some growing up to do--and while we didn't have the best weather--that island is what a private island should be. I loved it and would happily return. I hope to be able to snag a last minute fare on the Seaside this summer. 🙂 

In Honduras, did you go to West Bay Beach? I did as well, but my trip there was a bit of an adventure. Gorgeous beach though. I'd return for a week. I've actually looked into flights; sadly they are cost-prohibitive from PHL. 

And yes. I saw the lines for embarkation from my balcony and I heard it got bad later in the day. I blame a lot of things; it was a perfect storm of new virus outbreak and heightened security due to the super bowl and I'm sure a bunch of things I wasn't even aware of. 

I had reserved for a day pass at Infinity Bay. When I walked down the beach and looked at other resorts, I believe that IB was a great choice. Ride was a tad adventure also, but I was focused on having a good day. It was good. 

OP,  many thanks for your efforts to make and post this review and video!  Well done and I appreciate your work.  

I sailed on Meraviglia on January 5th as a Yacht Club guest.  May I share my thoughts as a comparison to your experience?

Embarkation in Miami,  regardless of what "Experience" level one books, is stressful.  Much more stressful than embarkation in Port Everglades, Seattle, Vancouver, or Port Canaveral.  Your embarkation on Super Bowl Sunday with the long lines had nothing to do with the day/date.  Long, snaking lines outside and inside the terminal is what I saw.  As a YC guest, I experienced a quick, seamless embarkation.  Not what that "Experience" "promised".  Part of the issue is the VERY POOR TRAFFIC CONGESTION that exists on Dodge Island, the Port of MIami.  There is simply not adequate space to handle the number of people that are embarking/disembarking cruise ships at that Port.  

I did not find such a large ship (and it was the largest on which I have sailed) to be too crowded except when the evening shows let out into that first elevator foyer.  I frequently left the YC enclave and visited the Buffet (Pizza was really good, I agree), the Sky Lounge, the mid-ship's pool and bar, and the Bamboo Pool area.  Loved the Dome Shows and I thought the music and shows that I saw in the main theater to be good.  The Cirque show that I attended was more enjoyable than I expected.

Crew service/friendliness inside/outside of YC was equal to HAL which, I consider, to have the best crew that I have experienced.  

Really can't compare cuisine in the MDR.  I was happy with the food's preparation each day; a couple of evening's dinner offerings were--humm--odd, but I always found something that I liked--even if it was on the "Always Available" side of the menu.  Service was excellent.  We had two Maitre d's, Luis and Arthur, that were VERY active in their service:  not just seating guests and handing them menus.  That attitude, I think, was reflected by the other Stewards/Stewardesses.  

22 hours ago, elbodans said:

I was super happy to be able to dock at Ocean Cay!

Me too!  Our weather was good; great day.  The night time sound and light show centered on the Lighthouse was a very memorable moment of my cruise.  I have never witnessed anything like that on a cruise.  I did not see the Junkenoo Parade.  Being so late and arriving so early in Miami, I chose to stay on the ship and watch the sound and light show from my veranda.  Ocean Cay, when they stay so late, ought to be port #1 rather than the final port, I think.  

I really enjoyed my Meraviglia cruise.  I just wish their ships did not sail from the Port of Miami!

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

OP,  many thanks for your efforts to make and post this review and video!  Well done and I appreciate your work.  

I sailed on Meraviglia on January 5th as a Yacht Club guest.  May I share my thoughts as a comparison to your experience?

Embarkation in Miami,  regardless of what "Experience" level one books, is stressful.  Much more stressful than embarkation in Port Everglades, Seattle, Vancouver, or Port Canaveral.  Your embarkation on Super Bowl Sunday with the long lines had nothing to do with the day/date.  Long, snaking lines outside and inside the terminal is what I saw.  As a YC guest, I experienced a quick, seamless embarkation.  Not what that "Experience" "promised".  Part of the issue is the VERY POOR TRAFFIC CONGESTION that exists on Dodge Island, the Port of MIami.  There is simply not adequate space to handle the number of people that are embarking/disembarking cruise ships at that Port.  

I did not find such a large ship (and it was the largest on which I have sailed) to be too crowded except when the evening shows let out into that first elevator foyer.  I frequently left the YC enclave and visited the Buffet (Pizza was really good, I agree), the Sky Lounge, the mid-ship's pool and bar, and the Bamboo Pool area.  Loved the Dome Shows and I thought the music and shows that I saw in the main theater to be good.  The Cirque show that I attended was more enjoyable than I expected.

Crew service/friendliness inside/outside of YC was equal to HAL which, I consider, to have the best crew that I have experienced.  

Really can't compare cuisine in the MDR.  I was happy with the food's preparation each day; a couple of evening's dinner offerings were--humm--odd, but I always found something that I liked--even if it was on the "Always Available" side of the menu.  Service was excellent.  We had two Maitre d's, Luis and Arthur, that were VERY active in their service:  not just seating guests and handing them menus.  That attitude, I think, was reflected by the other Stewards/Stewardesses.  

Me too!  Our weather was good; great day.  The night time sound and light show centered on the Lighthouse was a very memorable moment of my cruise.  I have never witnessed anything like that on a cruise.  I did not see the Junkenoo Parade.  Being so late and arriving so early in Miami, I chose to stay on the ship and watch the sound and light show from my veranda.  Ocean Cay, when they stay so late, ought to be port #1 rather than the final port, I think.  

I really enjoyed my Meraviglia cruise.  I just wish their ships did not sail from the Port of Miami!

Thank you for this, rkacruiser!!!! This is SUPER helpful, as I've never sailed in the Yacht Club and likely never will. Thanks so much for the comparison! 

Also a huge thank you for answering my question regarding the port of Miami. Having never sailed from the port of Miami in the past, I was not sure if it was a Miami thing or an MSC thing. Good to know it is a Miami thing. I would sail out of Miami again--but I would plan to have the process be a bit painful. 😉 But if I see a great sailing out of FLL, I'm ON IT! I've sailed out of FLL in the past--on HAL--and had an easy time of it. Thanks for confirming it was the port and not the cruise line!