Do you have concerns about cruising at this time? Onboard now?

gottagocit

So I know we can't know this answer for certain but what do you think a cruise ship would do if there was a COVID-19 case on the ship in the Caribbean?  I do not think they would put it in quarantine as we all know what happened with the spread in Japan.  I would love to know if cruise lines have thought this out if this does happen in the future.

2 hours ago, b_cruise said:

So I know we can't know this answer for certain but what do you think a cruise ship would do if there was a COVID-19 case on the ship in the Caribbean?  I do not think they would put it in quarantine as we all know what happened with the spread in Japan.  I would love to know if cruise lines have thought this out if this does happen in the future.

I am also wondering about this too. 

We spoke to my husbands doctor who advised my immune compromised husband that he has a 10% chance of dying from COVID-19.  Years ago I was advised that I had a 10% chance of a disease after taking a biopsy and was told not to worry.  Such a small percentage.  I was one of the lucky 10%. 

My husbands doctor advised him to cancel and re-book at a latter date.  If we cancel now we will get all of our money back for our beginning of August Mediterranean cruise and land tour (we actually have until the end of April to cancel)  Part of the doctor's logic and ours too, is that you can end up not being able to return home.    Quarantines of  specific areas have not occurred in the USA - but it can happen here and we have seen what has happened aboard.  If this becomes a pandemic, it will not matter where you travel.  You will be able to fly anywhere and back without being held in quarantine.  No matter where you go you will have a chance of getting the disease.   

We were suppose to fly into Venice for the land portion of our vacation.  The State Department has changed the travel advisory for Italy. The Veneto and Lombardy regions  are now a "4"  - Do Not Travel.  The rest of Italy at this point in time remains a "3" - Reconsider Travel (avoid non-essential travel). By August this situation may be worse or much improved.

Edited by Sanz
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Sanz said:

My husbands doctor advised him to cancel and re-book at a latter date. 

It sounds like he gave you sound advice especially given his health situation. And he is probably correct about not being able to get home if things worsen.   

• Like 3

We now have two cases in Florida. They have not said much about the second one but one was in Europe Italy and Spain. Is a teacher but had not been back to school yet. Governor doing press conference later

Kathy

Edited by rabin1
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 9:02 AM, Coral said:

BTW - I am one who does get the flu shot every year and got the flu last year on a strain that is covered by the flu shot. Go figure.

The flu shot only covers the top few worst flu viruses as determined by the CDC.  There are many flu viruses that are not covered by the flu shot.  This is why many people will not get a flu shot - they think it doesn't work because they still get the flu.  I always get a flu shot every year because I know it is boosting my immune system.  I've only had the flu one time in the past 25 years and I used to care for sick people every day!  I got the flu the year after I retired...go figure!  

15 hours ago, Justalone said:

Considering taking a cruise... Especially when eating at the buffet, bars, casual cafes or public areas?

Thank you.

Regarding the eating venues, we don't eat in the buffet. Not foolproof, but eliminates one (possibly main) potential source of infection.

Edited by Adventures ahead

2 hours ago, Darcy15 said:

One of the concerns at this time is the reaction (or over-reaction) of ports regarding ships with no apparent coronavirus cases.  Below is an Australian article regarding the Sun Princess.  I feel sad for these people who were on a good trip.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/violent-protests-meet-cruise-ship-full-of-australians-and-new-zealanders-at-runion-island/news-story/bea212b73787a3691f3ed59f789134cc

4 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

One of the concerns at this time is the reaction (or over-reaction) of ports regarding ships with no apparent coronavirus cases.  Below is an Australian article regarding the Sun Princess.  I feel sad for these people who were on a good trip.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/violent-protests-meet-cruise-ship-full-of-australians-and-new-zealanders-at-runion-island/news-story/bea212b73787a3691f3ed59f789134cc

Good grief! That’s awful. I would hate to receive a welcome like that when stepping off a ship. 

• Like 1

Just reported Sonoma County CA has a second presumtive coronavirus case. The person was recently on a Mexico cruise from SF, which according  to the time frame was probably the Grand Princess. No evidence she contracted the virus on the ship or if she caught it before or after the cruise. They are trying to determine all that. 

• Like 1

I'm now 40 days out from our Mediterranean cruise.  I kept thinking I would get an email or phone call from Princess about my reservation but it's still just silence from them.  I called again a while ago and asked what their plan B was about this upcoming cruise and I was told there is no Plan B and the cruise is still a "GO".  WHAT?  I'm okay with moving the cruise to Spring 2021 if necessary but I was told, no need to do that.  I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone.  Hasn't the CDC warned against all non-essential travel to Italy? Several airlines have also ceased flying to Italy.  Am I the only one scratching my head saying "WTH?"

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, wishIwascruising said:

I'm now 40 days out from our Mediterranean cruise.  I kept thinking I would get an email or phone call from Princess about my reservation but it's still just silence from them.  I called again a while ago and asked what their plan B was about this upcoming cruise and I was told there is no Plan B and the cruise is still a "GO".  WHAT?  I'm okay with moving the cruise to Spring 2021 if necessary but I was told, no need to do that.  I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone.  Hasn't the CDC warned against all non-essential travel to Italy? Several airlines have also ceased flying to Italy.  Am I the only one scratching my head saying "WTH?"

I was supposed to be on the HAL Westerdam on FEB 1.  The CDC and WHO came out with all the travel restrictions to China the week before we were to leave. Airlines were canceling all flights to China and even HK.  HAL just moved the end of the cruise from Shanghai to Tokyo, but were still boarding in HK. I called HAL everyday the week before I left to see what the plan was and I was told, all good to go, not cancelling.  I waited until the day I was going to leave to HK on the plane and just decided it wasn't worth it to us to be put in that kind of a situation.  I lost most of my money for the cruise and for the month we were spending in Asia afterwards. I am still waiting for some refunds ( I got united airlines refund in a day)  but still out $$$$. 

I am so glad I did not go.  As you know the ship was never allowed to dock at most ports.  Only  docked in one place for a few hours and then was denied at every stop after for 13 days.  Some who went said it was awesome(maybe because they got the cruise free), but I would have hated every minute not being able to see all the places I went to see.  I am not the type who just loves to cruise, I cruise to see the ports. 

So, it is up to each person whether they decide they want to go or not.  I totally got bashed on our roll call for bringing up these concerns.  Why do people care what other people do?  Everyone should absolutely do what they think is the very best for them.

I hope you get the news you want regarding your cruise. Safe travels to all.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, wishIwascruising said:

I just checked the Princess website and the Grand is still a go into and out of Rome during April so I feel for you and understand your concern.  Do you have CFAR insurance by any chance?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, wishIwascruising said:

I really do feel for you. As you say, several airlines aren’t even flying to Italy. Over here, BA and Ryanair have stated today that they are cancelling some flights to Italy, France and Germany. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hobo1937 said:

Just reported Sonoma County CA has a second presumtive coronavirus case. The person was recently on a Mexico cruise from SF, which according  to the time frame was probably the Grand Princess. No evidence she contracted the virus on the ship or if she caught it before or after the cruise. They are trying to determine all that. 

Latest news say 7 people have died in the USA from being infected  with the Corona virus.

Edited by Justalone

3 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

I just checked the Princess website and the Grand is still a go into and out of Rome during April so I feel for you and understand your concern.  Do you have CFAR insurance by any chance?

We are on a TA later this year and I wonder when they will make a decision to send or not send their ships over to Europe for the summer season....when we did an Ultimate Ship Tour on TA last year the Procurement Officer said that supplies are sent and waiting for their ships at each port far in advance....must be a logistical nightmare for Princess trying to decide how best to proceed with current unknowns of COVID-19 impact.

4 hours ago, wishIwascruising said:

Trying not to be political here.... Just stating the facts.

The White House (Pence) is meeting with the airlines on Wednesday and the cruise lines on Saturday. I hope something becomes of it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-airlines-whitehous/white-house-set-to-meet-with-senior-airline-cruise-industry-officials-idUSKBN20P2FC 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Trying not to be political here.... Just stating the facts.

The White House (Pence) is meeting with the airlines on Wednesday and the cruise lines on Saturday. I hope something becomes of it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-airlines-whitehous/white-house-set-to-meet-with-senior-airline-cruise-industry-officials-idUSKBN20P2FC 

It will be interesting to see if anything does happen or if the administration just wants to hear from these large US travel companies.  Roughly 10% of people globally are employed by the travel industry so I would hope that they are trying to balance economic concerns with safety of the traveling public.

They say the numbers of infected will continue to rise because mitigation hasn't caught up with the spread of the virus.  So what's your risk tolerance?  I like cruising but not being captive to shipboard illness or shut out of ports of call.  Bravado is not mitigation.  There's a time to cruise and a time to refrain from cruising.  When the crisis passes, there will be deals made to get us back in the waters.  Go then.  

• Like 8

11 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

The Sun Princess now has eight sea days back to Fremantle.  

,I think anyone who cruises at present needs to be prepared for "a cruise to nowhere".  Islanders in the Indian Ocean and Pacific Ocean have refused entry to cruise ships on a number of occasions recently. 

Samoa has reduced the number of flights to their country and ruled that passengers must have a medical certificate, within 3 days of the flight, which states they are healthy to travel. 

On 3/1/2020 at 2:43 PM, Justalone said:

Considering taking a cruise.

So, regarding recommendations:

• Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds.
  • Supplement hand washing by using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • Avoid close contact with people suffering from respiratory illness.
  • Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze using a tissue or your bent elbow.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Get vaccinated against seasonal influenza.

What do you personally do when you observe offenders around you?   Say, or do anything, to protect yourself from catching a cold, “cruise cough, cruise crud”,  URI, or worst....flu or Corona virus?  Call the offenders out?  Especially when eating at the buffet, bars, casual cafes or public areas?

Thank you.

There is little doubt in my mind that my husband and I both got sick on the Ruby Princess last fall, because we were coughed and sneezed on (one in front of us, one behind us) by fellow guests sitting in the Princess Theater awaiting the start of a show. People sit in that area for upwards of an hour and never know who is going to sit down around them. As for getting up and leaving...it can be done, of course, if you don’t mind disrupting others and missing the show altogether. I think we would be at that point now, given current circumstances. 

• Like 1