Do you have concerns about cruising at this time? Onboard now?

gottagocit

It appears the passengers on the Grand may be in the beginnings of a situation similar to the Diamond. From what I read two former passengers in California tested positive after disembarking and officials believe they may have contracted the virus while onboard. The passengers who are on the next voyage received this message according to the report below:

Dear Princess Guest:

I wish to advise you that today we have been notified by the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that they are investigating a small cluster of COVID-19 (coronavirus) cases in Northern California connected to our previous Grand Princess voyage that sailed roundtrip San Francisco from February 11 to February 21. We are working closely with our CDC partners and are following their recommendations.

For those guests who sailed with us on our previous voyage and may have been exposed, in an abundance of caution, the CDC requires you to remain in your stateroom until you have been contacted and cleared by our medical staff. A member of our medical team will be calling you between the hours of 8:00 AM and 11:00 AM this morning. You may order room service while you wait for the medical screening to be completed, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

The link to the story is:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/first-case-coronavirus-detected-eu-headquarters-brussels-live-updates

I sure hope this doesn’t turn into a situation that just occurred in Japan. 

We are sailing on the CB out of FLL on 4/18 and like others, going to decide as it gets closer. We have CFAR Princess Platinum insurance and no airfare involved as driving to the port.

We realize we could get Corona or Noro, from going through a supermarket, or many other illnesses.  We think my wife contracted Noro a couple of years ago, luckily the day after we got back from sailing on the CB, and not something I would wish on anyone. At least we were back home.

My biggest concern, and time will tell how they handle these other ships, is being on a 7-day cruise, and quarantined for another 14-days or longer.

That would be a long time for us to be away from home and our jobs. It's a risk, and one we will think about if it's worth it to us personally, as we all have to make the best decision for our own circumstances. 

Edited by Eagle_and_hawk

On 2/23/2020 at 8:49 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

Just wondering...were you ever afraid to cruise during flu season? Flu kills more people every year than this new one.

Ever decided not to cruise because you might get Noro? Noro is everywhere...restaurants, planes, nursing homes, schools, cruise ships. More people get Noro every year than this new one.

No, never afraid to cruise during flu season as there is a vaccine for Flu. Most Flu deaths were of those not vaccinated. More concerned about Norovirus. Corona is a new breed of sometimes deadly virus with no known vaccine.

I am seriously debating whether to take a chance and go on the Sky Princess 9/20 TA.. The cruise may end up missing  ports and even be stranded and quarantined far from home.

Edited by weberman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, weberman said:

No, never afraid to cruise during flu season as there is a vaccine for Flu. Most Flu deaths were of those not vaccinated. More concerned about Norovirus. Corona is a new breed of sometimes deadly virus with no known vaccine.

Me too, but after Diamond Princess who wants to miss most of their ports and risk a quarrantine?  Looks like Grand Princess and MSC Opera are facing this dilemma today.

Edited by resistk
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, weberman said:

I am seriously debating whether to take a chance and go on the Sky Princess 9/20 TA.. The cruise may end up missing  ports and even be stranded and quarantined far from home.

Yesterday on bbc news, they said corona has now surpassed flu statistics.  Today they are saying 3.5 rate of death.  I’m getting worried. Cruising March 15- may have to take loss$$. I heard there is a meeting with cruise lines Saturday to discuss future measures 

• Like 1

In Australia they interviewed 2 people who were evacuated from Diamond Princess and sent to Darwin Quarantine, where they were tested positive for the Covor-19 virus, they didn't even know they had it the woman had a slightly sore throat the man said he did not feel well at all.  At the end of the day it is another flu and I just don't understand the hysteria behind this one, there is a different kind of flu every year, some worse than others this has been the norm for years, we were on a ship a few years ago where a whole family were sent off the ship as they boarded with Influenza A, left on port and told to make their own way home, no quarantining, no ship being refused to dock.  80,000 people in China out of 1.8 billion, have got the coro-19 virus.

• Like 2

Here is the latest: "

Sent: Wednesday, March 4, 2020 4:21 PM
To: Kevin Westley <irishdjkevin@msn.com>
Subject: RE: Princess Cruise Cancellation - April 18, 2020

Hello Kevin,

I called princess again today regarding your cruise cancellation.  You will be getting $503.60 (port tax and sales tax - not the $200 for the FCD) back within 10-15 days.  You will be able to submit a claim for the remainder of the balance.  If the claim gets denied, you will be able to request a future cruise credit for the full amount of your cancelled cruise.

Thank you,

Melanie

Edited by KevintheIrishDJ

9 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Hello Kevin,

I called princess again today regarding your cruise cancellation.  You will be getting $503.60 (port tax and sales tax - not the $200 for the FCD) back within 10-15 days.  You will be able to submit a claim for the remainder of the balance.  If the claim gets denied, you will be able to request a future cruise credit for the full amount of your cancelled cruise.

Thank you,

Melanie

9 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Hello Kevin,

Thank you,

Melanie

Did you have insurance and if so, what level did you have if you don't mind me asking?

We are on the CB on 4/18 and sitting here now, trying to decide how long we will wait before making a decision.

Just now, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Hello Kevin,

Thank you,

Melanie

Only a suggestion but next time you might want to delete your email address before you post. 🙂

Edited by waltd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, waltd said:

Only a suggestion but next time you might want to delete your email address before you post. 🙂

It's great that you also quoted it, so even if he deletes it from his post, it will be preserved in your post 🙂

34 minutes ago, Eagle_and_hawk said:

Did you have insurance and if so, what level did you have if you don't mind me asking?

We are on the CB on 4/18 and sitting here now, trying to decide how long we will wait before making a decision.

It is AoN from Princess.  Not sure of the level.  Don't you need a medical reason?

My experience with Princess Protection is that a valid medical reason (not fear of contagion but illness or injury for example) got us a $$ refund after providing medical documentation.  Cancel for any reason where we simply decided we didn’t want to travel gave $$ credit for a future cruise.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1MYxNkDvBvRKw?t=10m2s

California Governor Newsom: a number of passengers and crew on Grand Princess cruise ship have developed symptoms, they will be tested while ship is held off the coast of California. Passengers still on ship from previous cruise will also be tested.

Edited by fragilek

God I must of had a premonition about our cruise....cancelled it late last week and ate a $500 cancel fee from Princess....we were April 7 out of LA....Star Princess....glad I did....this is not what I wanted on a quick cruise up the coast to Canada......

• Like 1

I’m very glad that my next cruise isn’t until Feb. 21, 2021. I booked it about 6 months ago and now with the uncertainty of the Corona virus I have lots of time to see what happens and make any cruise decisions. I surely hope this disease burns it’s self out in the warmer summer weather like the seasonal flu. I feel sorry for all of you who are scheduled on cruises in the near future and have to make tough decisions.

5 hours ago, resistk said:

This is quickly becoming the norm:

https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-news/2020/29013/not-again-msc-opera-some-3000-people-faces-nightma/

Cruise lines need to stand down until they ca guarantee passengers won't be sailing into a quarrantine

surely you are joking.  it would be impossible to guarantee what the cruise line cannot control.  They could do a cruise and never set sail, yet if 1 person showed symptoms, the ship could be quarantined.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Kalynan said:

A different cruise line I know, however they've announced a Temporary change to their cancellation policy..........

https://www.vikingcruises.co.uk/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

Viking is a class act.  I wish Princess would do the same.  I made the decision last week to cancel our Western Caribbean cruise out of Ft.  Lauderdale.  I had 3rd party insurance so no cancel for any reason.  I took the 50% penalty and feel that I made a good decision.  Would have been nice if Princess came out with something like Viking did with the temporary cancellation policy,  

• Like 2

We (retirees) cancelled our February 29thCaribbean cruise on 2/6/2020.

Insurance claim filed on 2/6/2020.

Claimed received by AON 2/6/2020 for reviewed.

Princess Insurance – Elite

Reason:  “Cancelled for any reason”.

Two (2) Certificates issued (one for my wife and one for me) by Princess for partial amount on 2/24/2020.   This was approximately half the cruise amount which included all fees, air fare, FCD, etc. Certificates must be used by 12/31/2021.

The balance (less certificate amount) credited to my Visa credit card on 2/24/2020.

As expected – the insurance amount not covered ($191.94).

We still plan on taking a cruise later this fall -- Canada/New England.

John   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, subaru94 said:

....At the end of the day it is another flu and I just don't understand the hysteria behind this one, there is a different kind of flu every year...

I think the biggest differences are:

1) When someone has the flu the time during which they are contagious is pretty clear. The fever and other typical symptoms are sure signs you are a carrier and likely contagious. With this virus no one knows who is a carry and who is not in many cases as many have few if any symptoms so how can it be contained and how can elderly or others with health problems avoid contact with those who are contagious? Not to mention there is no vaccine.

2)The death rate for those over 70 is initially being measured at over 15% from what I read last week. 

3) The average age of cruisers is what.... 65,70,75?  

4) Health care services such as hospitals may be completely overwhelmed in any area where outbreaks occur if not contained quickly. No one wants to be in need of care for the virus in a situation where hospitals or clinics can’t provide quality care so there is an urgent need to identify and contain any outbreaks or avoid catching it if possible. 

5) There is simply a lot we do not know about this virus, not the least of which is why are some who recover from it are later diagnosed with it a 2nd time. 

These are just a few things that come to mind that give some pause. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, subaru94 said:

In Australia they interviewed 2 people who were evacuated from Diamond Princess and sent to Darwin Quarantine, where they were tested positive for the Covor-19 virus, they didn't even know they had it the woman had a slightly sore throat the man said he did not feel well at all.  At the end of the day it is another flu and I just don't understand the hysteria behind this one, there is a different kind of flu every year, some worse than others this has been the norm for years, we were on a ship a few years ago where a whole family were sent off the ship as they boarded with Influenza A, left on port and told to make their own way home, no quarantining, no ship being refused to dock.  80,000 people in China out of 1.8 billion, have got the coro-19 virus.

One important thing to watch is the number of new cases in China which have been dropping dramatically over the last two weeks. Here's a reasonable perspective from a respected doctor who teaches at Harvard. He cites the data from the Diamond Princess as more likely reflecting the true impact of the virus. It will be a matter of time until world governments come to grips with how to handle the virus without shutting down the tourist income that is so important to their economies. Some peace of mind for those booked later this summer, but for those booked in the next several weeks, the biggest concern remains missed ports and more sea days because of port authorities taking a very conservative approach to incoming visitors.

https://slate.com/technology/2020/03/coronavirus-mortality-rate-lower-than-we-think.html

Edited by Dbld777