Do you have concerns about cruising at this time? Onboard now?

gottagocit

3 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Oh ok just the Hawaii cruise.

Thanks

sorry if I mislead you, I am not on any cruise - I am posting info from someone from twitter who is on the cruise now 

Edited by fragilek
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, chipmaster said:

No threat to US, LOL, okay reality distortion for you!

Speaking of distortion!  lol. 
The post you quoted did not state there was no threat to the US. They stated that we haven’t seen a shutdown of travel within the country, theaters, ...etc. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trajan said:

Almost booked a last minute cruise for our Florida trip in a couple weeks. So glad now that I didn’t. Given what we know now I would not forgive myself if I took my family on a cruise and we ended up quarantined or infected. Have enjoyed cruising in the past and hope to cruise again in the future but it’s gonna be a while.

Yes, it's gonna be a while...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tk2fast said:

Soon the c virus will be everywhere and exposure eventually unavoidable. At that time quarantine of a cruise ship will be unnecessary. One can take precautions to avoid it but sooner or later you will be exposed. Staying at home will just prolong the inevitable.

I understand trying to avoid a cruise or air travel if over 70 or in compromised health. Just makes good sense but still just a matter of time. I wish the best of health to all.

We are cruising in 4 weeks and by then the virus should be uncontainable and quarantines unnecessary.

If your theory is true then everyone on the cruise could be sickly with the COVID-19.....does not sound like a fun vacation to me....of course when more and more people quit traveling I am sure Princess is going to be thinking about economic survival.....not mentioning getting crews to staff their ships if they are infected too....one airline in Europe already went belly-up today stranding paying  passengers everywhere...

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

If your theory is true then everyone on the cruise could be sickly with the COVID-19.....does not sound like a fun vacation to me....of course when more and more people quit traveling I am sure Princess is going to be thinking about economic survival....one airline in Europe already went belly-up today stranding paying  passengers everywhere...

I'm not talking total saturation of the population in 4 weeks but enough people will have it where quarantine will not be necessary or make sense. It could take months or a year or more before the majority have been exposed. Of course some who are exposed will not be effected or just slightly. Does not seem to effect most children.

The cruise ship will most likely have some on board with it so exposure is possible but that's going to happen even when you go anywhere in public.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tk2fast said:

I'm not talking total saturation of the population in 4 weeks but enough people will have it where quarantine will not be necessary or make sense. It could take months or a year or more before the majority have been exposed. Of course some who are exposed will not be effected or just slightly. Does not seem to effect most children.

The cruise ship will most likely have some on board with it so exposure is possible but that's going to happen even when you go anywhere in public.

This might be changing b/c if you look at a lot of the recent US cases, we've now got kids, teens, and young adults getting diagnosed...what it seems to be is that if one family member goes down, everyone does...the question now will be to what extent for each member (is it still age and underlying condition based, or a luck of the draw immune response, or both)...

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

This might be changing b/c if you look at a lot of the recent US cases, we've now got kids, teens, and young adults getting diagnosed...what it seems to be is that if one family member goes down, everyone does...the question now will be to what extent for each member (is it still age and underlying condition based, or a luck of the draw immune response, or both)...

That's not good if more kids/young adults are getting it. Families are usually in close proximity to each other so possible longer exposure to an infected person equals a worse infection.

Two items that seem to be clear for getting it are, poor immune system and advanced age and those with advance age might be more susceptible because of poor immune systems. 

There are a few things I take to boost my immune system but can't mention them here as I was censored for doing so earlier. Ugh!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tk2fast said:

That's not good if more kids/young adults are getting it. Families are usually in close proximity to each other so possible longer exposure to an infected person equals a worse infection.

That doesnt make any sense, you are infected or not, you are not more or less infected. This is not airborne aids.

• Like 2

In Australia we have an 8month baby boy who recently returned with his mum (also positive) from Iran and a 16 year old who may have become positive from his mother who works in a hospital where several people, including Doctors, have tested positive. It is not believed that it was the patients who have led to the positive test for medical people but apparently there was a medical conference where several have now tested positive. The boys school is closed for a day or so to check what needs to happen next. 

18 hours ago, Eagle_and_hawk said:

This is where I am getting confused, so maybe someone can explain it better as I keep reading, that after final payment, there is some future cruise credit given by princess, and them some credit back to the credit card.

Just for an example, our 4/18 cruise has cancellation policy by 2/22 = 50%, 3/21 = 75%, 4/4 = 100%.

We have Princess Platinum coverage which we are reading as cancel for any reason = 100% of non - refundable costs.

For simplicity, lets say the cruise is a $1000. If we cancel today, we would be in the 50% range as past 2/22, but not 3/21.

Would princes give us a credit for 50% ($500) for a future cruise, then we file a claim to get the other 50% back from the insurance company, and if that is correct, they apply it back as a credit to the credit card?

If that's the case, it seems like we would be better off to just wait until after 4/4 to cancel, when it's 100%. Princess gives us no future credit, file a claim with insurance and they credit back 100% to the credit card.

Check the new cancellation options that cover your cruise that Princess announced today.

• Like 1

My understanding of the new temporary policy is that if we decide to cancel in the period in which we normally lose 50% of the fare (Cancellation fee) and in which we normally get refunded 50%... Now we would be refunded 50% (in cash) and the other 50% - the cancellation fee, would be held as a FCC on our account.  Is this what other people understand?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tk2fast said:

Two items that seem to be clear for getting it are, poor immune system and advanced age and those with advance age might be more susceptible because of poor immune systems. 

There are a few things I take to boost my immune system but can't mention them here as I was censored for doing so earlier. Ugh!

Kids were always getting it , the difference is in how there bodies respond and cope with it.  So far they appear to do OK and shake it off, but that doesn't either mean all will be fine (there are kids with underlying issues and our data set is not big enough to see how they cope) or that they don't pass on to others in the same way adults do

11 hours ago, Comi.uy said:

That doesnt make any sense, you are infected or not, you are not more or less infected. This is not airborne aids.

My Point: According to Science Daily exposure to a low dosage of virus particles resulted in a small number of host infections (20%). In contrast exposure to a high dosage of virus particles resulted in virtually all the hosts (99%) becoming infected.

Edited by tk2fast

Just received this from Princess...

We continue to implement increased monitoring, screening and sanitation protocols to protect the health of our guests, crew and the residents of the destinations we serve. Our measures are designed to be flexible to adapt to changing conditions and recommended best practices. For your reference, you can read our Guest Travel Advisory.

Nevertheless, we know you have questions about your upcoming cruise. Princess would like to share some policy updates that provide options and flexibility should you want to reschedule your currently booked vacation that sails between now and May 31, 2020.

• Sailings departing between March 9 and April 3*: booked guests can cancel up to 3 days prior to departure, receive a Future Cruise Credit for 100% of the cancellation fee amount, and move your booking to any voyage that departs by December 31, 2021.
  • Sailings departing between April 4 and May 31*: booked guests can cancel by March 31, 2020, receive a Future Cruise Credit for 100% of the cancellation fee amount, and move your booking to any voyage that departs by December 31, 2021.

*Date of departure is from the start date of your cruise or cruisetour, whichever is earlier.

If you choose to keep your booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 9 and May 31, you will receive the following Onboard Credit amounts:

• $100 USD/ $150 AUD per cabin for 3 and 4 day cruises
  • $150 USD / $225 AUD per cabin for 5 day cruises
  • $200 USD / $300 AUD per cabin for 6 day and longer cruises

For our guests booked on Crown Princess Mediterranean
itineraries, we are finalizing some itinerary changes and a special offer that we will be sharing early next week.

Please note that Future Cruise Credits will automatically be applied to each guest's Captain's Circle account after they have cancelled. The Future Cruise Credit will not be available instantly and may take up to 10 business days to be processed. Guests with Princess Vacation Protection should file a claim via www.aontravelclaim.com in the first instance.

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you onboard.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-51764135

Malta doctors threaten industrial action over ship

Doctors in Malta have threatened industrial action if a cruise liner bound for the island is allowed to dock over coronavirus fears, the Times of Malta has reported. 

The MSC Opera is due to arrive in Malta at 18:00 (17:00GMT) on Friday.

• Like 1

All the overreaction trying to stop the virus with total fruitless results.  Rather than waste time and effort trying to stop the virus, how about concentrating on preparing for the inevitable outcome. 

Panic never helps anything.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tk2fast said:

Just received this from Princess...

We continue to implement increased monitoring, screening and sanitation protocols to protect the health of our guests, crew and the residents of the destinations we serve. Our measures are designed to be flexible to adapt to changing conditions and recommended best practices. For your reference, you can read our Guest Travel Advisory.

Nevertheless, we know you have questions about your upcoming cruise. Princess would like to share some policy updates that provide options and flexibility should you want to reschedule your currently booked vacation that sails between now and May 31, 2020.

• Sailings departing between March 9 and April 3*: booked guests can cancel up to 3 days prior to departure, receive a Future Cruise Credit for 100% of the cancellation fee amount, and move your booking to any voyage that departs by December 31, 2021.
  • Sailings departing between April 4 and May 31*: booked guests can cancel by March 31, 2020, receive a Future Cruise Credit for 100% of the cancellation fee amount, and move your booking to any voyage that departs by December 31, 2021.

*Date of departure is from the start date of your cruise or cruisetour, whichever is earlier.

If you choose to keep your booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 9 and May 31, you will receive the following Onboard Credit amounts:

• $100 USD/ $150 AUD per cabin for 3 and 4 day cruises
  • $150 USD / $225 AUD per cabin for 5 day cruises
  • $200 USD / $300 AUD per cabin for 6 day and longer cruises

For our guests booked on Crown Princess Mediterranean
itineraries, we are finalizing some itinerary changes and a special offer that we will be sharing early next week.

Please note that Future Cruise Credits will automatically be applied to each guest's Captain's Circle account after they have cancelled. The Future Cruise Credit will not be available instantly and may take up to 10 business days to be processed. Guests with Princess Vacation Protection should file a claim via www.aontravelclaim.com in the first instance.

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you onboard.

I feel this is very generous of Princess. Hoping the other lines will follow suit.

1 hour ago, tk2fast said:

My Point: According to Science Daily exposure to a low dosage of virus particles resulted in a small number of host infections (20%). In contrast exposure to a high dosage of virus particles resulted in virtually all the hosts (99%) becoming infected.

But that's not what you said. You said:

"That's not good if more kids/young adults are getting it. Families are usually in close proximity to each other so possible longer exposure to an infected person equals a worse infection. "

If you had said "causes a higher probability of an" instead of "equals a worse" your statement would have reflected what Science Daily said. There is a difference.

Another possible impact to cruising as the cruises to northern EU/ Russia are due to start up in the next few weeks

Moscow Govt just released an updated list of 11 countries w/“unfavourable” situation re coronavirus. The list of countries where travelers MUST self-isolate” themselves for 14 days after arrival: China, SKorea, Iran, Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Swiss, UK, Norway+ USA.

13 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Another possible impact to cruising as the cruises to northern EU/ Russia are due to start up in the next few weeks

Moscow Govt just released an updated list of 11 countries w/“unfavourable” situation re coronavirus. The list of countries where travelers MUST self-isolate” themselves for 14 days after arrival: China, SKorea, Iran, Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Swiss, UK, Norway+ USA.

OK, looks like the cruise lines need to take heed until this gets sorted out.  other coutnries will likely do the same as Russia, especially small islands with limited helath facilties.

Edited by resistk

16 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Only found this:

A high-alert mode has been introduced in Moscow, per decree all incoming MOSCOW-BASED RUSSIAN travellers are requested to spend 14 days in home quarantine.

https://www.internationalsos.com/pandemic-sites/pandemic/home/2019-ncov/ncov-travel-restrictions-flight-operations-and-screening

23 minutes ago, resistk said:

Only found this:

A high-alert mode has been introduced in Moscow, per decree all incoming MOSCOW-BASED RUSSIAN travellers are requested to spend 14 days in home quarantine.

https://www.internationalsos.com/pandemic-sites/pandemic/home/2019-ncov/ncov-travel-restrictions-flight-operations-and-screening

Yip you are correct the report I read has now added a correction

That's a great summary link you have posted very useful hope they keep it updated as this progresses

Edited by fragilek

46 minutes ago, fragilek said:

this  is false the news item was corrected after I posted it  it now says for returnees so will not apply to cruisers