Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
hlmmurphy

Day in Aruba

Recommended Posts

This will be our first time in Aruba - we’re not much for shore excursions rather like to make our own adventure. I’m thinking about heading to Eagle Beach once we get off the ship via the beach bus or a taxi. From what I’ve read this beach would be more of our style. However, there doesn’t seem to be many food options there so I’m thinking when we get hungry to head to Palm Beach for food, Edwardos looks amazing and I know hubby would like Scott’s Brats. Followed by few more hours of beach time at Palm Beach then finishing our day by checking out the local craft beer brewery Fireson which is near Palm Beach. Then head back for a look around the port before boarding the ship.
 

 

For folks that have been before it seems like there are mixed opinions about distance from Eagle to Palm beach and if it’s walkable. Any recommendations on how to get from one to the other? Or where we should get dropped off at Eagle? Does all this seem like a reasonable plan for a day in Aruba? Any recommendations? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hlmmurphy said:

This will be our first time in Aruba - we’re not much for shore excursions rather like to make our own adventure. I’m thinking about heading to Eagle Beach once we get off the ship via the beach bus or a taxi. From what I’ve read this beach would be more of our style. However, there doesn’t seem to be many food options there so I’m thinking when we get hungry to head to Palm Beach for food, Edwardos looks amazing and I know hubby would like Scott’s Brats. Followed by few more hours of beach time at Palm Beach then finishing our day by checking out the local craft beer brewery Fireson which is near Palm Beach. Then head back for a look around the port before boarding the ship.
 

 

For folks that have been before it seems like there are mixed opinions about distance from Eagle to Palm beach and if it’s walkable. Any recommendations on how to get from one to the other? Or where we should get dropped off at Eagle? Does all this seem like a reasonable plan for a day in Aruba? Any recommendations? 

 

Really easy to Google on Google Maps if you need additional directions.   3.5 Km (about 2 miles) and takes 41 minutes to walk

 

image.png.9cd9744f9fdd3052add896d3eb982371.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t know this existed, I will do some more research over there. Thank you. 

Edited by hlmmurphy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out this thread.   We have used the Amsterdam Manor hotel facilities at Eagle Beach before, we always emailed them for details before we left on the cruise.   They have a beach bar/restaurant on the beach across the road from the hotel.   Easy to get there via public bus.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, hlmmurphy said:

I didn’t know this existed, I will do some more research over there. Thank you. 

Yea.. really easy..   just go to Google.com/maps    put in name of first location then click directions and put in second location.   At the top you can select driving, walking or public transportation.    If public transportation it will show you the schedule price and exactly which bus or subway to take.   

 

I also use it on my phone and mark the Port as a saved location .....just in case I get turned around (which happens often).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's too far to walk imo.  However, there are several resorts across the road from the beach and they would probably have food options available.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a free trolley that might drop you at Eagle Beach: Aruba trolley There's also a link to the bus schedules on that site - might be a faster/cheaper option if the trolley doesn't go by that beach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have had dinner at Passions of the Beach at the Amsterdam Manor hotel (on a late port night stay) and the hotel staff was very friendly & accommodating.  AM was already mentioned by a prior poster. 

 

 I suggest spending the day at Eagle and looking for lunch at Amsterdam Manor.  Palm is much busier....and it will be a hot walk between them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We go to Aruba every year for our land vacay and have been there many times. It’s quite the walk from Eagle Beach to Palm Beach and you can’t walk all the way there via the beach. At one point you would have to walk along the road. I wouldn’t do it. There are places on Eagle Beach that you can eat. If you really want to go to Eduardos and/or Scott’s Brats I would suggest going to Palm Beach. It is much busier and although nice, not as nice as Eagle Beach. You have to decide what is more important to you.....or start on Eagle for a bit then take a taxi (must be dry though or they won’t take you) or bus to Palm to eat. Have a blast! We just came back from there a couple of weeks ago and heading back early March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trolley will not drop you anywhere near a beach.   We had the perfect beach day at Reflexions beach bar.  I made reservations by email before we went for 2 tent beds,  I think they were $25 each.    We got off the ship and walked slowly, made a few stops and sat down a few times as my sisters ankle was bothering her.   This should have been a little under 1/2 hour walk, but took us longer.    It had just started to rain as we got there,  but then cleared up and we had a wonderful day!!!   Not a lot of people around,  nice clean bathrooms and terrific service.   They started us each a tab and brought drinks and menus/food right to our beds.  My sister and her BF had burgers that were delicious.   You can see the ship in the first picture.

  I definitely recommend spending the day here.    When we were ready they called a cab for us to go back to the ship.  

 

20191008_100744.thumb.jpg.a1a065db27789cecbc3e39f6404384bf.jpg20191008_104205.thumb.jpg.4d19d24946a36db8f19362cd29ea2de4.jpg20191008_131750.thumb.jpg.853623bd60ab74fa81dd9a203de8f8d7.jpg20191008_131755.thumb.jpg.febac9583bbfa5f8d12036c24c0d0b19.jpg20191008_104234.thumb.jpg.dcbbc5dcbc2639c8cc46261e9ad18114.jpg20191008_104240.thumb.jpg.2f8ec85a34430c85661c4194f7e02302.jpg20191008_110026.thumb.jpg.17f42ae7a9228e04882d96c1d21dad65.jpg
galleries-7cd652ddb0f6126e410402984f09e83f-14077945759.thumb.JPG.6b0e2e0ee51efbb65b078e207e0a0611.JPGgalleries-7cd652ddb0f6126e410402984f09e83f-14077946875.thumb.jpg.e9e8d3d28443cb647dbf0ca63aa0b94f.jpg 

 

 

 

Edited by micheleata

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ginnyfyr said:

There is a free trolley that might drop you at Eagle Beach: Aruba trolley There's also a link to the bus schedules on that site - might be a faster/cheaper option if the trolley doesn't go by that beach. 

The trolley only runs from the cruise port to Main Street, which is downtown, to encourage cruisers to shop.

Edited by Hatteras51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Check out this thread.   We have used the Amsterdam Manor hotel facilities at Eagle Beach before, we always emailed them for details before we left on the cruise.   They have a beach bar/restaurant on the beach across the road from the hotel.   Easy to get there via public bus.

 

 

Amsterdam Manor quit renting loungers to cruisers a couple years ago. It is located around the corner from the sewage treatment plant,  and often, the stench from the plant reaches Amsterdam Manor.  Lately,  it has been horrible.  I don't recommend it for lunch or dinner anymore. I was just in Aruba for 3 weeks and it was very bad the majority of the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 5:09 PM, micheleata said:

The trolley will not drop you anywhere near a beach.   We had the perfect beach day at Reflexions beach bar.  I made reservations by email before we went for 2 tent beds,  I think they were $25 each.    We got off the ship and walked slowly, made a few stops and sat down a few times as my sisters ankle was bothering her.   This should have been a little under 1/2 hour walk, but took us longer.    It had just started to rain as we got there,  but then cleared up and we had a wonderful day!!!   Not a lot of people around,  nice clean bathrooms and terrific service.   They started us each a tab and brought drinks and menus/food right to our beds.  My sister and her BF had burgers that were delicious.   You can see the ship in the first picture.

  I definitely recommend spending the day here.    When we were ready they called a cab for us to go back to the ship.  

 

20191008_100744.thumb.jpg.a1a065db27789cecbc3e39f6404384bf.jpg20191008_104205.thumb.jpg.4d19d24946a36db8f19362cd29ea2de4.jpg20191008_131750.thumb.jpg.853623bd60ab74fa81dd9a203de8f8d7.jpg20191008_131755.thumb.jpg.febac9583bbfa5f8d12036c24c0d0b19.jpg20191008_104234.thumb.jpg.dcbbc5dcbc2639c8cc46261e9ad18114.jpg20191008_104240.thumb.jpg.2f8ec85a34430c85661c4194f7e02302.jpg20191008_110026.thumb.jpg.17f42ae7a9228e04882d96c1d21dad65.jpg
galleries-7cd652ddb0f6126e410402984f09e83f-14077945759.thumb.JPG.6b0e2e0ee51efbb65b078e207e0a0611.JPGgalleries-7cd652ddb0f6126e410402984f09e83f-14077946875.thumb.jpg.e9e8d3d28443cb647dbf0ca63aa0b94f.jpg 

 

 

 

 

Where is reflections beach bar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, marycruz said:

 

Where is reflections beach bar?

 

It is called Nikki or Baby beach I believe.   When you leave the port area it's to the right about a mile or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is also under the airport arrival and departure flight path. 

So if serenity is one of your goals, look elsewhere.

 

I was there in a Sunday, and it was difficult to relax because of the noise.  Possibly weekends are busier, with the heavy timeshare occupancies on the island, but that would be easy enough to check on the airline websites. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, micheleata said:

 

It is called Nikki or Baby beach I believe.   When you leave the port area it's to the right about a mile or so.

It used to be called Nikki Beach. Baby Beach is about 40 minutes from the cruise port, passed San Nicolas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

It is also under the airport arrival and departure flight path. 

So if serenity is one of your goals, look elsewhere.

 

I was there in a Sunday, and it was difficult to relax because of the noise.  Possibly weekends are busier, with the heavy timeshare occupancies on the island, but that would be easy enough to check on the airline 

The airport is definitely busier on the weekends,  especially Saturdays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hatteras51 said:

It used to be called Nikki Beach. Baby Beach is about 40 minutes from the cruise port, passed San Nicolas.

 

Sorry for the misinformation.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there places where people can leave their valuables, like a phone or does everyone always leave everything on the ship? Are there no lockers at these beaches?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 12:22 AM, unclegrandpa said:

Are there places where people can leave their valuables, like a phone or does everyone always leave everything on the ship? Are there no lockers at these beaches?

We bought one of these for our last trip and used it several times on the beach.  Worked perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/SAFEGO-Portable-Indoor-Outdoor-Combination/dp/B017RQUIC4/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=beach+chair+locker&qid=1584707506&sr=8-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...