Need help choosing a cruise!

RedLife

We just got off Harmony of the Seas last Sunday and loved it. My mom won a cruise for 2 up to $1250 to use in the next year by playing bingo. We can pay the difference if it costs more. Our needs are sailing 5+ nights Jan/Feb to somewhere warm as we are from Montana. Not worried about where except we would like to avoid Puerto Rico & Sint Maarten as we have been to each a number of times. My mom will be 72 (not very active) and I am 40 (very active). We are worried about another ship being a let down as Harmony was beautiful and did not feel crowded with so much to do. Any recommendations as to good ships/itineraries or should we stick with HOS?

1 minute ago, RedLife said:

We just got off Harmony of the Seas last Sunday and loved it. My mom won a cruise for 2 up to $1250 to use in the next year by playing bingo. We can pay the difference if it costs more. Our needs are sailing 5+ nights Jan/Feb to somewhere warm as we are from Montana. Not worried about where except we would like to avoid Puerto Rico & Sint Maarten as we have been to each a number of times. My mom will be 72 (not very active) and I am 40 (very active). We are worried about another ship being a let down as Harmony was beautiful and did not feel crowded with so much to do. Any recommendations as to good ships/itineraries or should we stick with HOS?

If you liked Harmony then go with one of her sisters.  Oasis, Allure or Symphony. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedLife said:

Do you object to San Juan as a destination port or a departure port?  If it’s just the former, you might want to consider sailing out of there and visiting some islands you don’t get to visit on a Florida departure.  It also gives you a chance to see some sights in PR that are not easy to do from a half day in port. 

• Like 1

From our first honeymoon cruise in 2000, San Juan has been our personal preference for reasons stated above : See islands not readily available from Florida.

I like PR so much in fact that I've chosen that to be a golf destination for our foursome.  Been there 13 times and never disappoints.  Good people, good food, amazing golf.  Safe place.  I've left on my own to go roam around if the family didn't wan to some and I always find someone to enjoy a beer with.

Saint Martin is another favorite..... 

• Like 1

From Montana you should sail on Liberty out of Galveston Jan 3, 2021, 7 nights to Cuzumel, Costa Maya, and Roatan. The Freedom Class ships are a little smaller so your Mom will be able to get around easier but there are plenty of things for an active person to do.

1 hour ago, jakeil7 said:

Do you object to San Juan as a destination port or a departure port?  If it’s just the former, you might want to consider sailing out of there and visiting some islands you don’t get to visit on a Florida departure.  It also gives you a chance to see some sights in PR that are not easy to do from a half day in port. 

We have just done San Juan and SXM multiple times so were hoping for a change by avoiding those ports this trip. I love both and sailed out of PR 2x and have stayed 2 weeks on SXM but out of our 4 trips to the Caribbean in my life we have went there each time. Trying to branch out a little!

Do an Oasis Class Western Caribbean seven day cruise from either Port Canaveral, Port Everglades, or the Port Of Miami to Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Jamaica, and Cozumel, Mexico. The Oasis Of The Seas, Allure Of The Seas, and Symphony Of The Seas are the Harmony Of The Seas three sister ships.

• Like 1

We are also from Montana, I understand wanting to go somewhere warm! We haven't gone on Harmony yet, we are going on her in 2021 when our daughter Harmoni turns 21. But we have been on the Navigator and the Liberty. We are in our 40's and are very active and we really enjoyed both of them. I agree with the suggestion of leaving from Galveston, you can fly in a day early and stay in Galveston the night before. Then we took the cruise lines shuttle back to the airport when we got back.  

• Like 1

I’m currently on Independence for a 5-night visiting Haiti and Jamaica. Labadee, Haiti was a ton of fun today, looking forward to Jamaica tomorrow. This ship is beautiful and there is so much to do!  We have 14 people ranging in ages from 2 to 65 and everyone has found plenty to keep them entertained. I highly recommend the new Panoramic rooms if you don’t mind the front of the ship.  We’re in 1802 and the views are stunning. There’s a bit more movement (not a ton), but I love how it rocks me to sleep. 

On 2/23/2020 at 4:53 PM, Sobro said:

From Montana you should sail on Liberty out of Galveston Jan 3, 2021, 7 nights to Cuzumel, Costa Maya, and Roatan. The Freedom Class ships are a little smaller so your Mom will be able to get around easier but there are plenty of things for an active person to do.

If you just got off Harmony on Sunday then you were docked right next to Liberty of the Seas at Cozumel (unless you mean Sunday a week ago 😩). We were on Liberty and pulled in right next to you. The ships are almost the same length, but Harmony is  taller and a lot wider. 

I am finding this so hard everyone! I have found this daunting just to pick one. We have decided...

7+ nights

Southern or western Caribbean 

Likely sailing Dec-Feb sometime 

Questions we have stem around different ships. Will a smaller ship feel far more crowded than Harmony? They are smaller though the amount of people on board dont seem all that much smaller. 

I would also suggest looking into the Explorer.  Smaller and older than Harmony, but it is being renovated this coming month.  I am sure it will be even better after it is “Amped”.  

We just did the southern itinerary two weeks ago and it was fantastic!  Loved it so much I just booked it again for next February.

It is 9 nights which was awesome.  We are from Massachusetts and also like to escape the cold.  I figure if I have to pay for flights, I want to maximize the time away.   

Another thing we loved is the ports and the fact the ship is actually in each port all day.  Aruba is like a 13 hour port stop.  Plenty of time to do things and not rush.  And the last two days are sea days which was such a relaxing way to end the trip.

I think this itinerary is one of the best they offer.  Wish they did more 9 nighters with long port days.  

Whatever you choose, have fun planning!

5 hours ago, Heatherco said:

I would also suggest looking into the Explorer.  Smaller and older than Harmony, but it is being renovated this coming month.  I am sure it will be even better after it is “Amped”.  

We just did the southern itinerary two weeks ago and it was fantastic!  Loved it so much I just booked it again for next February.

It is 9 nights which was awesome.  We are from Massachusetts and also like to escape the cold.  I figure if I have to pay for flights, I want to maximize the time away.   

Another thing we loved is the ports and the fact the ship is actually in each port all day.  Aruba is like a 13 hour port stop.  Plenty of time to do things and not rush.  And the last two days are sea days which was such a relaxing way to end the trip.

I think this itinerary is one of the best they offer.  Wish they did more 9 nighters with long port days.  

Whatever you choose, have fun planning!

We feel the same when flying - need to make it worthwhile. Looked at Freedom but our airfare would be over $1000 per person instead of $450 which is a little much for us to justify for a free cruise. I see explorer though the 9 night isnt showing much availability unfortunately. We were hoping dec-Feb sometime and it's only showing a fee dates for that one 😞 thithings shouldn't be so hard! Lol

I'd look at Odyssey of the Seas. They offer 6 night Western and 8 night Southern Itineraries out of FLL.  She is big and brand new with unique itineraries.  You'll have to cough up a little bit of money on top but I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'd look at Odyssey of the Seas. They offer 6 night Western and 8 night Southern Itineraries out of FLL.  She is big and brand new with unique itineraries.  You'll have to cough up a little bit of money on top but I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

That's the one we cant do with the cruise she won - ship cannot be less than 1 year old 😞